Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Direct Tv Or Dish question

Thinking about switching to either Dish or Direct tv. I live in Massachusetts and I'm worried about losing signal during storms. So I'd like to hear from current users of one of the two on the pros and cons of Direct Tv or Dish. Do you lose signal often or has the technology advanced enough to create more stable signals?
    Thanks

vCash
    I've had both. Never lost signal with either that I can recall. DirecTV is a much better service.

vCash
    No big issues with either other than a box going bad one with direct. I do lose signal for very short periods during really bad storms but it's not a big deal at all. My cable would go out for no reason more often

vCash
    Had Directv for a long time, family members have Dish Network that I've used plenty. I've lost my signal 4x in about the last 12 years. 2 were this year, during rainstorms that dumped more than an inch per hour. Lasted 30-40 mins tops, lost it twice for about 2 hours each time in a blizzard more than 5 years ago.

Not a huge concern losing signal, and Directv is a far superior product. Honestly hate cable compared to Directv. The AT&T merger does scare me some with pricing.
    Props to VCU4LIFEGOVIKS for the sig

vCash
    I lost signal when I had directv mabe 2 times a year. Even then is was only minor skipping. Believe it or not light rain caused more problems then downpours.

vCash

Direct Tv Or Dish question

Xfinity>>>>>>
    VIVA CROONER!

vCash
    I install for DirecTV so this could be bias but, hands down it blows Dish out the water. Dish is great for international packaging and that's about as far as it goes.

I also worked for comcast and my parents have Uverse so I'm not in any way promoting. In fact when proposed the question I tell people who ever is going to save you a few bucks and has what you're looking for that's who I recommend.

When I started working for DirecTV I had to get their service due to the insane discount and like you I was terrified due to the "horror" stories I heard about satellite service. Well it couldn't be further from the truth and as with any service it comes down to installation. Another thing that has made me realize just how good it is, is doing service and installs for customers that have been with Directv for over 10+ years. These aren't people that are handcuffed by pricing but, absolutely must have Directv service and refuse to go to another provider. I've noticed compared to the comcast customer base to this one was DirecTV had allot more dedicated customer base.

I live in Chicago so weather gets hetic constantly especially with snow and so far in the 2 years I've had it, I can say all issues at least in my eyes are super overblown and stem from just a poor installation.

As far as advancements in technology and receiver formats Dish really doesn't compare to any company in my eyes.

To elaborate on how far satellite has come in the aiming of a dish it's pretty much pin point accuracy to the sky satellites. Problem most people have is even a quarter inch off translates to something like 6 miles in space once it reaches the satellites. The tools to install them now are pretty impressive and it's allowed for allot of improvements in stable signal.
    Last edited by northsider; 08-17-2014 at 10:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple View Post
    Had Directv for a long time, family members have Dish Network that I've used plenty. I've lost my signal 4x in about the last 12 years. 2 were this year, during rainstorms that dumped more than an inch per hour. Lasted 30-40 mins tops, lost it twice for about 2 hours each time in a blizzard more than 5 years ago.

Not a huge concern losing signal, and Directv is a far superior product. Honestly hate cable compared to Directv. The AT&T merger does scare me some with pricing.

Wouldn't look to far into it my man. Not to speak in absolutes but, in meetings AT&T reps and executives have spoke with us and laid out the realities of the merger.

Before the merger we already had a partner ship in bundling our services. At&t loses out on a ton of clients due to the fact it can't always bundle it's Uverse TV cause it's not offered everywhere. DirecTV can pretty much go anywhere a person will allow it to barring a line of sight issue or if your land lord or HOA won't allow permission for installation.

They basically bought our technology and subscribers and the opportunity to offer more bundling for people that would rather do so then have 2 separate bills.

vCash
    DirecTV and it's not even close
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I install for DirecTV so this could be bias but, hands down it blows Dish out the water. Dish is great for international packaging and that's about as far as it goes.

I also worked for comcast and my parents have Uverse so I'm not in any way promoting. In fact when proposed the question I tell people who ever is going to save you a few bucks and has what you're looking for that's who I recommend.

When I started working for DirecTV I had to get their service due to the insane discount and like you I was terrified due to the "horror" stories I heard about satellite service. Well it couldn't be further from the truth and as with any service it comes down to installation. Another thing that has made me realize just how good it is, is doing service and installs for customers that have been with Directv for over 10+ years. These aren't people that are handcuffed by pricing but, absolutely must have Directv service and refuse to go to another provider. I've noticed compared to the comcast customer base to this one was DirecTV had allot more dedicated customer base.

I live in Chicago so weather gets hetic constantly especially with snow and so far in the 2 years I've had it, I can say all issues at least in my eyes are super overblown and stem from just a poor installation.

As far as advancements in technology and receiver formats Dish really doesn't compare to any company in my eyes.

To elaborate on how far satellite has come in the aiming of a dish it's pretty much pin point accuracy to the sky satellites. Problem most people have is even a quarter inch off translates to something like 6 miles in space once it reaches the satellites. The tools to install them now are pretty impressive and it's allowed for allot of improvements in stable signal.
    I once had a DirecTV installer both badger me for a tip and then do a hit and run on my car on his way out. Worthless little grommet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still1ballin:28939643
    Xfinity>>>>>>
    For just tv, no.
    Props to VCU4LIFEGOVIKS for the sig

vCash
    I had Directv and the only time I had a significant issue with loss of service was during Hurricane Sandy. The tv went out before the power did but I was without power for 3 days so I don't really know how long the service would've been out for anyway. But seriously during snowstorms, thunderstorms, etc I never had any significant issues and the few times there was a disruption it lasted less than a minute. Like someone else said, I've had cable go out for no reason occasionally too so it's no worse in that regard.

The Directv menus and interface are awesome. I have fios now and the menus and everything loaded so much faster. Also the remotes on dtv don't have to be pointed at the boxes in order to work which is nice. The picture quality is excellent, the programming packages are expansive, and at least in the first year with all the promos it's a good deal. So yeah I'd highly recommend it.

Never had dish though.

vCash
    I have had Directv for a few months now and love it. It's gone out a couple times during bad storms, but only lasting a few minutes each time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple View Post
    For just tv, no.
    lol for everything. I've had Directv for 10 years and paid 80$ more than xfinity with way less channels.

Xfinity offers more channels, faster internet service and phone service while paying less. Oh, and living in Miami, there is always storms. With DTV the satellite would always go out. Havent experienced that yet with xfinity.
    VIVA CROONER!

vCash
    dish for one simple reason. Sling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch all your channels on any wireless device.

directv cant even compare with their pathetic app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast