Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is the most USEFUL subject that is taught in college?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Math

3 27.27%
  • Science

1 9.09%
  • English

0 0%
  • History

2 18.18%
  • Foreign language

1 9.09%
  • Phys. Ed

1 9.09%
  • Other (Please specify)

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Most useful/useless school subjects?

As I sit here and procrastinate my math homework, I think about how ****ing useless college level algebra is. So, instead of doing my work, I wonder if other people see school subjects the same way I do.

So I pose the question, when you were in college, (or if you still are) what subjects are the most useful/useless comparatively to both the real world and your profession (or profession that you plan on pursuing)

I know every subject has it's own subsections (such as science with chemistry, earth science, biology, etc) however, I want to keep this broad to ensure there's no confusion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    As I sit here and procrastinate my math homework, I think about how ****ing useless college level algebra is. So, instead of doing my work, I wonder if other people see school subjects the same way I do.

So I pose the question, when you were in college, (or if you still are) what subjects are the most useful/useless comparatively to both the real world and your profession (or profession that you plan on pursuing)

I know every subject has it's own subsections (such as science with chemistry, earth science, biology, etc) however, I want to keep this broad to ensure there's no confusion.
    Most useful specific to my degree: Thermodynamics
    Most useful to all degrees: Communication/Public Speaking

Most useless specific to my degree: 3D Modeling (teach yourself)
    Most useless to all degrees: History

vCash
    Also, algebra is not useless. Your life will be much easier if you learn it,

vCash
    Most of my science courses I took pretty much are needed for my field. Organic, biochem, all my nutrition classes, physiology, anatomy, and microbio are like my backbone since I need to rely most of the things I do and still have to do with those courses. My counseling classes, a bit of psychology, good understanding of socio/anthro, and behavioral analysis are needed too when I approach individual cases.

Pretty much the useless ones I really dont need were the math classes that goes beyond simple math skills, conversions, and statistics. I took pretty much college geometry, trigonometry, precal and a bit of calculus early on when I was still completing my engineering prereqs. Physics is pointless for me now since I shift to the health field.

Out of all the classes I took, im close to or probably blown past 200 quarter units, not including non-transferred units from CCs, gen ed classes were useless. Aside from speech, writing, critical thinking classes from the general ed curriculum, everything were meh. Some are fun because you gain knowledge, but in regards to your profession, nopppppe. Speech is really important for me because I do a lot of presentations :/.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    How? (Honest question)

vCash
    How? (Honest question)
    A chance to practice logical thinking and problem solving skills.

Using symbols instead of numbers develops abstract reasoning.
    Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    Basica algebra yes. But college level or advanced algebra? Absolutely not. How many of the equations you were taught in those classes do you even remember? (if you work in a field that specifically requires it then you are the exception, for 99% of people such skills are not needed at all).

Easily the most useless subject is any advanced mathematics subject. Can someone name an instance outside of a job that specifically requires you to know such concepts when you would actually need to use those concepts?
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    How? (Honest question)

I move and account for money at my job but i use algebra pretty frequently
    Last edited by ewing; 12-04-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Mostly every college course is useful in some way, you just might not realize it at the time your taking it. Maybe something like Phys Ed is pointless depending on the shape you are in and what Phys Ed class you are taking. For example I took tennis is college which was pointless because A) I already knew how to play because I played in HS and B) I was in pretty decent shape already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I move and account for money at my job but i use algebra pretty frequently
    But what level of algebra? I'm pretty sure the algebra you use to handle your finances was taught in like Freshman or Sophmore year of High School.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    Anything that qualifies you to do nothing or teach

Womens studies
    English
    Mathmatics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    But what level of algebra? I'm pretty sure the algebra you use to handle your finances was taught in like Freshman or Sophmore year of High School.
    i don't know. certainly the lower level comes into play frequently. you maybe right but it has been a long time since i took these classes so i'm honestly not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Unless you're in a math related field it makes little sense how some colleges force their students to take multiple math classes.

vCash
    I don't know if I would call it useless but this is one of the worst: Computer User Support. Let me explain, I was taking Computer Engineering Technician at my college (possibly the dumbest decision I made) and in the 2nd year, we had to learn the above class. It teaches you how to work at a call center which is one of the worst places you will ever work. You have people calling you complaining about the stupidest things when in reality, it's their own fault.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Anything that qualifies you to do nothing or teach

Womens studies
    English
    Mathmatics
    disagree about English. A good english class will teach you how to be a better writer and analytical skills which are useful in almost any profession
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast