Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Does anyone else calculate their own statistics?

The more I have learned the more I have messed with baseball analytics.

This year, I imported all of 2011's stats into Excel and going from there.

I have been learning how to calculate stats like Runs created, WAR, and FIP. It's a lot of fun, and I am learning a lot more and challenging a lot more. Has anyone else done much of this? I am giving myself some opportunities to start messing with trial and error type of situations, and it's a lot of fun.

Or maybe I'm just a huge closet nerd.

vCash
    I think you just came out of the closet!

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Some do not understand the ignore list.

vCash
    Yes! What's even more fun is doing it on paper. I still use a calculator for some things, but I'll right everything down. I have a notebook pretty much just dedicated to it. I don't think it helps a whole lot, but it does make understanding what goes into the stats easier.

It's odd how easy math is to enjoy when you don't have a teacher beating you to death with problems.

vCash
    Ive calculated FIP a number of times. Not necesarily for fun, but more for getting to the root of a problem. For example, I really wanted to know a handful of players FIP splits home/away so I had to calculate them myself.

vCash
    My brother-in-law and I are playing a franchise on the show with rosters that we edited to fit (pitch speeds, pitch types, player ratings to fit) and we did a fantasy draft. We each have one pitcher, and we are playing on legend difficulty. I am Daniel Duffy and he is Wade Davis. For the starts that Duffy has, my brother-in-law does the teams hitting, and I do all the teams pitching, and then vice-versa when Davis pitches. So I have kept track on an Excel sheet of how we have performed with each hitter.

I have kept track of k and bb%, wOBA, FIP, everything. It's a little in depth, but it's fun to compete with being better than the other. It has also allowed us to adjust the sliders to make it as realistic as possible. Right now, we are about 8 games back near the end of June, but we have been playing better lately, so we'll see

Just a lot more fun when you include the stats. Obviously this is way nerdy, but it allows you to understand statistics so much better.

Today, I added power-factor, something that beyondtheboxscore wrote about. It's neat to implement whenever you have something on-going like this.

I have been messing with a lot of 2011 MLB stats this year just trying to find values, and new ways to measure things. One thing I am attempting to decipher is a better way to measure a managers effectiveness based on the decisions they make. What happens to WPA, do they employ the best positive matchups, and if they do, does it matter/work as well as we think it should?

Been fun

vCash
    I used to when I had the time, I still have a bunch of spread sheets and word documents from around 2007-2009 which included a bunch of linear weights and my own calculations for WAR. I tend to be too busy/lazy to do it anymore and just use something like FGs for quick info but using your own method tends to be the best way to go if you really want to get in depth analysis.

vCash
    I do stats that make use of existing stats - like SBO and SB's to get a percentage. Or figuring WAR per PA. You guys are well past what I am doing.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....