Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Roy Oswalt: Seeking a 1-year deal

...They could go after Roy Oswalt, who is seeking a one-year deal to regain his value. He would be an excellent addition and would solidify the front-end of the rotation.

Roy Oswalt was looking for a three-year deal earlier in the offseason, but he has since told teams he only wants a one-year contract, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (all Twitter links). The right-hander wants to prove that his back is healthy and re-enter the market a year from now in search of multiyear security. Six teams are now talking to Oswalt and agent Bob Garber about a possible deal, Crasnick reports.

The Red Sox, Blue Jays, Royals, Twins and Nationals are among the teams that could use rotation depth and may have interest in Oswalt. The Rockies had interest earlier in the offseason and while they could still use pitching depth, it's not clear if they still have the payroll flexibility to accommodate Oswalt or if he'd want to pitch in Denver.

Garber has said Oswalt feels “great,” even after two back-related stints on the disabled list in 2011. The 34-year-old made 23 starts and completed 139 innings this past season, posting a 3.69 ERA with 6.0 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 45.1% ground ball rate. His average fastball velocity dropped to 91.4 mph, however. Oswalt was a Type A free agent, but the Phillies declined to offer him arbitration and he won't cost a draft pick.
    Oh well.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    So why have the Yankees not signed him?
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    So why have the Yankees not signed him?
    They probably will.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets sign him and trade Pelfrey.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    If the Mets weren't cheap...
    we would still have a team in Kingsport, Tenn.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    They probably will.
    But they are being cheap at the moment since they haven't, right?

I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    J.C.! They are not cheap, they are in financial meltdown, there is a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If the Mets weren't cheap...
    we would still have a team in Kingsport, Tenn.
    So I guess this puts the affiliates the own below the level of other ML teams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets sign him and trade Pelfrey.
    Yeah, use that 5 million towards Oswalt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    J.C.! They are not cheap, they are in financial meltdown, there is a difference.
    Shhh...no logic allowed.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Yeah, use that 5 million towards Oswalt.
    I can't believe you would judge the team's finances on whether they sign some guy who is undersized, out of his prime a FA after one of his worst statistical years.

Yes there is a meltdown, but thinking their passing on Oswalt is the poster boy for it aint going to cut it.

vCash
    Ok, change title to....

If we didn't have ****** greedy scumbag ****ing owners...

...We would be able to go after Roy Oswalt.

vCash
    I can't believe you would judge the team's finances on whether they sign some guy who is undersized, out of his prime a FA after one of his worst statistical years.

Yes there is a meltdown, but thinking their passing on Oswalt is the poster boy for it aint going to cut it.
    Not over-paying for every useless, injured, or passed his prime FA on the market just proves that they are cheap and don't care about winning. Where have you been?

-Sun Tzu

vCash

Yeah, worst statistical year. A 3.66 ERA in a HR haven is not so bad and he was battling a back injury. For one year, he could provide excellent pitching every 5th day, and we are in dire need of front-end pitchers.

Say he signs for 10 million with incentives, that does not risk the future or reduce any flexibility moving forward. I mean that money from losing Reyes has to go somewhere, and it should not go into their pockets or debt that they have.

vCash
    Yeah, worst statistical year. A 3.66 ERA in a HR haven is not so bad and he was battling a back injury. For one year, he could provide excellent pitching every 5th day, and we are in dire need of front-end pitchers.

Say he signs for 10 million with incentives, that does not risk the future or reduce any flexibility moving forward.
    Yes, but you left out the two key words...if healthy.

-Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast