Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think I agree with the article, but I'm not so sure the NFL readiness of even a first round O-Lineman. Especially compared to D-Line/HB.

vCash
    Here's another interesting article from Tim Kavanagh of ESPN... Probably the last time we have seen Grimes in an ATL uniform.

As we begin to project what the Atlanta Falcons will look like in 2013, the change that will gather the most attention in the coming weeks is the potential retirement of TE Tony Gonzalez. Gonzalez was still performing at a high level up until the very end of the Falcons' run in 2012, but he's got a lot of mileage on his body at this point. However, he's not the only question for GM Thomas Dimitroff and Co. to answer this offseason.

The Falcons' class of impending free agents includes four key starters, two apiece on offense and defense. Offensively, starting LT Sam Baker and C Todd McClure. Of the two, Baker -- who turns 28 this offseason -- seems like more of a priority than McClure, who'll turn 36 in February. Depending on what they do in free agency and the draft, the Falcons could consider moving RG Peter Konz -- who was a center at Wisconsin -- over to C next season.

On the defensive side, the Falcons' secondary is set to endure the biggest hit, as CB Brent Grimes and S William Moore are impending UFAs. Grimes -- the club's franchise taggee in 2012 -- was injured early on, but will certainly draw significant interest if left unprotected. A second-straight tag is unlikely, so if he's back, it'll likely be on a multi-year pact. On the other hand, Moore may be under consideration as this year's recipient of the franchise tag. According to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, the 2013 franchise tag value for safeties will be $6.798 million, a good value for Atlanta. Given Moore's injury history prior to this season, they may be cautious in doling out a multi-year deal to him; the tag would allow them another season to utilize him without a long-term commitment.

L.A. Angels/ Atlanta Falcons/ Anaheim Ducks/ L.A. Clippers

vCash
    RN said exactly what I was going to say, rookie O Linemen seems to struggle more than other positions, especially if it's not a high pick. You have to be really patient with OL. We saw Konz get pushed around in his few first starts, but slowly improved as he got more experience. I think you are more likely to get early results from positions like RB and DL. We know Pat Hill can coach because he turned Sam Baker into a decent LT... but the article is right that we could use at least two upgrades there, dominant run blockers preferably. We also saw a couple of RBs have early success, Alfred Morris and Doug Martin.

Maybe FalconsNation02 didn't post this part of the FootballOutsiders article, but I would hope they didn't just ignore the lack of pass rush. That played a huge part in why Wilson, Kaepernick, and others were able to stay in the pocket and pick them apart. Great defense in every sport starts up front and through the middle -- DTs and MLB for football. That's where you want to get pressure and that's how you want to get stops. But the Falcons are lacking there vs the run and pass. Right now, you have no consistent impact players in DT rotation and MLB. Babineaux is a flawed player and rarely dominates anymore and no one else looks like an NFL starter honestly. Same for MLB.

I'd rather have Grimes than Dunta, but Brent is about to turn 30 and can't stay healthy, so I think he's gone. Moore should be tagged, no question. Keep in mind if McClure comes back, that means you're bringing back 4 of 5 OL starters from a group that couldn't open running lanes this season. Dimitroff and Blank are big on continuity, but I believe it's just time to cut bait on some of the older guys and turn it over to the younger core.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-21-2013 at 12:09 PM.

vCash
    Here's some perspective on what I said about the defense in another thread:

The Falcons are now 1-4 under Smith, but they have allowed at least 24 points in each of those playoff games. Check this list of "elite" QBs when the opponent scored 24 or more in the postseason:

Big Ben: He's 2-4 when opponents scored 24 or more, he's 8-0 when the opponent scored 23 pts or less (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/)

Brady: He's 3-5 when opponents scored 24 or more, he's 14-2 when opponents scored 23 or less (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/)

Rodgers: He's 1-3 when opponents scored 24 or more, he's 5-0 when opponents scored 23 or less (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/)

Brees: He's 3-3 when it's 24 or more, he's 2-1 when the opponent scored 23 or less (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/)

So basically the record for Ryan and this offense is right in line with those guys when their defense couldn't stop anybody. My point is, in five seasons, our D has yet to really carry this team to a playoff win, the burden has been on our offense pretty much every single time. That's why, as tough as I have been on Ryan in previous years, it's hard for me to keep blaming the offense when even the so called "elite" QBs often get carried by their defense.

vCash
    Review from PFF:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-championship/
    Run Defense Flatters to Deceive

As already discussed, the Falcons’ run defense succeeded in its primary goal of shutting down the running threat of Colin Kaepernick but lost sight of the big picture, which was bringing the 49ers’ entire ground game to a grinding halt. With the Falcons so intent on turning runs inside they really needed the likes of Stephen Nicholas, Akeem Dent and Sean Weatherspoon to have big games but none of them managed to have that kind of presence. They did well in limiting the 49ers’ designed ground game to a longest gain of 15 yards, James’ touchdown run, but there were consistent gains of 5, 6 and 7 yards to ensure the 49ers were rarely put into long yardage as the Falcons’ trio combined for only six stops against the run all day. The Falcons attempted to upgrade their defense through coaching changes last offseason, but it may be approaching the time for them to look to upgrade their playing personnel if they are hoping to make that next step.

vCash
    Tony G seems 99% retired. McClure wants to come back but between him and Baker, Baker seems the more logical signee and we can get him on on the cheap due to his prior injury history. McClure is the experienced vet but I feel as if the roster is in a transition phase from the older guys to the younger core. We'll be better served in using Hawley or Konz in the starting line-up.

Defensively William Moore should be the priority and the most likely recipient of the franchise tag. I would love Brent back if the price is right.

Last off-season I was not sold on Turner being our primary back, he has too much mileage on his wheels and doesn't have that game-changing ability he once had. I believed Jacquizz should have been pushed into the starting line-up sooner rather than later and he had his carries but after reflecting on the season he doesn't seem like a guy who can carry the entire load although he was a better scheme fit in Koetters offense than Turner. I really wanted Doug Martin at the bottom of the first or top of the second but we didn't have the resources to move into that area lol.

Te'o, Eifert or a DE first round

vCash
    Quizz has earned more touches, but I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he can be an every down back or reliable between-the-tackles runner, which is exactly what we need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz42 View Post
    Tony G seems 99% retired. McClure wants to come back but between him and Baker, Baker seems the more logical signee and we can get him on on the cheap due to his prior injury history. McClure is the experienced vet but I feel as if the roster is in a transition phase from the older guys to the younger core. We'll be better served in using Hawley or Konz in the starting line-up.

Defensively William Moore should be the priority and the most likely recipient of the franchise tag. I would love Brent back if the price is right.

Last off-season I was not sold on Turner being our primary back, he has too much mileage on his wheels and doesn't have that game-changing ability he once had. I believed Jacquizz should have been pushed into the starting line-up sooner rather than later and he had his carries but after reflecting on the season he doesn't seem like a guy who can carry the entire load although he was a better scheme fit in Koetters offense than Turner. I really wanted Doug Martin at the bottom of the first or top of the second but we didn't have the resources to move into that area lol.

Te'o, Eifert or a DE first round
    Yuck.... I just couldn't stomach Te'o.

I would like to go 1. DE 2. DT 3. RB 4 TE 5 OL 6. OL

Kind of hard to follow a draft order like that because I believe on drafting on value (wouldn't want to draft a DE first round if there is only 3rd round talent left)

L.A. Angels/ Atlanta Falcons/ Anaheim Ducks/ L.A. Clippers

vCash
    Changing my offseason wish-list for a potential move to the 3-4 Defense:

Cut/release: Turner, Robinson, McClure, Jerry, Hope, Sidbury.
    Tag/re-sign: Moore and Grimes
    Flip a coin: Baker but explore alternatives first.

Sign: Anthony Spencer (edge rusher), a power run-blocking guard, a veteran NT, and gauge KR/PR Jacoby Jones.

Draft: First four... 1st: Dion Jordan (edge rusher, eventual replacement for Abraham), 2nd: Eddie Lacy (RB), 3rd: Datone Jones (DL), 4th: Joseph Fauria/Jordan Reed (TE).

2013 Depth Chart:

DE Babineaux - Walker
    NT Some vet pickup - Robertson
    DE Jones - Peters
    WLB Abraham - Jordan
    TLB Nicholas - Dent
    MLB Weatherspoon - some vet pickup
    SLB Spencer - Biermann
    LCB Samuel - McClain
    SS Moore - Schilinger
    FS Decoud - Mitchell
    RCB Grimes - some vet pickup

QB Ryan - Davis
    RB Lacy - Rodgers
    FB Ewing - Snelling
    WR Jones - some vet pickup
    WR White - Douglas
    TE Fauria/Reed - Palmer - Coffman
    RT Clabo - Holmes
    RG Offseason signing
    OC Konz - Hawley
    LG Blalock - Hawley
    LT Baker or some upgrade - Svitek

PR Draft pick or Douglas
    KR Rodgers
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.

vCash
    That was too easy.

vCash
    Oregon OLB Dion Jordan's weight dipped to 226 pounds during the 2012 season, but the Duck is already up to 234 after working out.

Jordan hopes to weigh 250 pounds at the Combine in February. Multiple factors played into the senior's drop in weight this season, including a shoulder injury and the notorious pace of Chip Kelly's practices. Regardless, Jordan remained active and strong with his hands. His comfort and space likely projects best to a strongside linebacker position.
    Former South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore is already walking without a limp and hopes to be healthy enough to play by week one of the NFL season.

Lattimore is "feeling good" and thinks his week one goal is "realistic." Dr. James Andrews called the running back's progress "nothing short of a miracle." Lattimore is another junior attending this week's events in Mobile to get an early start interviewing with NFL teams.
    rotoworld

I tried to tell those guys in the CFB forum, Lattimore was right to leave school and I am not betting against him.

vCash
    Anyone who thinks Lattimore should have stayed in college doesn't know much of the NFL. He has a chance to get paid quite a bit now and can get the free good health care of NFL's trainers/PT's and such.

vCash
    I still want us to draft Ball as Turner's replacement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar
    Anyone who thinks Lattimore should have stayed in college doesn't know much of the NFL. He has a chance to get paid quite a bit now and can get the free good health care of NFL's trainers/PT's and such.
    Pretty much what I said back then. And we know he's going to impress in one on one interviews.

vCash
    Atlanta Falcons safeties Thomas DeCoud and William Moore are going to the Pro Bowl. The team announced Monday the two alternates have been added to the NFC's Pro Bowl roster to replace San Francisco's Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner.
    espn

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast