Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think Babs and Peters are good for now and we have a solid rotation with Jerry and Walker as well(don't forget Robertson, he seems promising). Edge rusher is a huge concern.

vCash
    Thankfully for us, the pass rushers in this draft look pretty damn good.

vCash
    Seeing teams like the NY Giants, Ravens, and Patriots continuously add to their front seven year after year, I think TD needs to adopt a similar approach. It's not that I believe some of our D-Linemen are bad players, but really you can never have enough depth at some positions, especially since our two best pass rushers are over 30 years old now.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-15-2013 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    Charlie Campbell's mock picks on WalterFootball.com:
    31. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU

Montgomery was a leader of the Tigers' fierce defensive line. He racked up 37 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and two forced fumbles this season; slightly behind his 2011 totals of 49 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss, nine sacks and one forced fumble. The junior was injured during this year's bowl game against Clemson, but he still played well. The 6-foot-4, 260-pounder added weight last offseason and that should help him to remain a 4-3 end prospect. He has the frame to continue to get bigger and will add weight as he ages.
    61. Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers

Jamison carried the Rutgers offense as a redshirt sophomore. He averaged 4.2 yards per carry for 1,075 yards and four touchdowns this year. Jamison ran for 897 yards with nine touchdowns as a freshman in 2011. The 5-foot-8, 200-pounder is a compact runner who has some quickness to go along with his physicality.
    93. Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State

Hill totaled 64 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, one interception, 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble this year. He is a fast gap-shooter who can pressure the quarterback, but is tough and holds his ground well in run defense. Hill (6-1, 292) used his final game to show NFL teams that he is worthy of a second-day pick. He dominated Wisconsin to finish off a strong senior season. Hill totaled 59 tackles with eight tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble in 2011 playing next to Devon Still.

vCash
    I do like Jordan Hill in the 3rd. We need someone to replace who Jerry was supposed to be and to be the new Babineaux in the near future.

vCash
    NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has the Falcons' taking the TE Tyler Eifert in the 1st round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...eremiah/155111

If they acquire an edge rusher somehow before the Draft, I don't mind going TE-RB-DT for the first 3 picks either.

vCash
    Mel Kiper Jr. has us picking last and taking Margus Hunt out of SMU

If you're looking for a player to marvel at when it comes to the Under Armour portion of the draft process, keep an eye out for Hunt's workouts. I'm certainly not the first analyst to point out his remarkable athletic skills, but the former decathlete has extreme power, speed and leaping ability, all in a massive frame. The Falcons need help at defensive end, with the pass rush and age at that position major question marks headed into the offseason, and Hunt's physical prowess and upside will be really tempting in this range.

vCash
    I really want Hunt, but like Raji years ago I feel his pre-draft everything will boost him into the top-15.

vCash
    I believe Hunt, Ansah, and Ogletree could be the fast risers coming out of the Combine.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lacy run a slower-than-expected 40 time and drop, which would be good for us.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-16-2013 at 12:54 PM.

vCash
    ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests Jacquizz Rodgers is "too small" to be an every-down back.

Rodgers is listed at 5'6/196, but size isn't the only concern here. On 151 career carries, he's managed just 3.75 yards per tote. And if the Falcons thought he could effectively carry the load, he would have taken fully over for the washed up Michael Turner already. Expect Atlanta to target a running back relatively early in April's draft.
    rotoworld

vCash
    ^I agree but having a big guy along with him would be what we need...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has the Falcons' taking the TE Tyler Eifert in the 1st round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...eremiah/155111

If they acquire an edge rusher somehow before the Draft, I don't mind going TE-RB-DT for the first 3 picks either.
    I'm hoping Gonzalez play one more year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit
    ^I agree but having a big guy along with him would be what we need...
    Yeah that's what I'm still in favor of. Only question is how early to select one in the draft.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    [Raiders' boss Reggie] McKenzie was asked about whether or not the team would consider moving [Darren] McFadden before next season, the last one on his current contract.

“I’m confident Darren’s going to play his last season, regardless of what’s out there,” McKenzie said, via Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group. “We have no decision to do anything with Darren.”

McFadden had 707 yards and averaged 3.3 yards per attempt this season, a drop in production that’s been attributed to both an ankle injury and a poor fit in former offensive coordinator Greg Knapp’s zone blocking system. McKenzie seemed to hint at the latter while talking about McFadden’s year.

“It’s obvious Darren is much better on certain types of plays,” McKenzie said. “That goes without saying. That’s how you’ve got to do it.”
    ProFootballTalk.com

Looks like DMC is staying in Oakland, a little disappointing for those of us who suggested him.

vCash
    Vince Verhei from Football Outsiders suggests the O-Line is in need of upgrade this offseason. I'm not so sure I agree, I think an edge rusher, monster DL, capable RB and MLB is in order.

In the first halves of their respective championship games, the Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots had a combined lead of 37-21. In the second halves, however, they were outscored 35-0, and now both teams will head into the offseason looking to make repairs rather than celebrating a Lombardi Trophy. Although the two teams shared similar fates on Sunday, they have opposite weaknesses that must be addressed. The Falcons need to add some muscle on both sides of the ball, while the Patriots need to overhaul their secondary and find more targets for Tom Brady.

With Matt Ryan slinging the ball to Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, the Falcons had little trouble getting ahead in games this season, but hanging on to those leads proved to be a problem, particularly in the playoffs. (And by the way, Gonzalez is still one of the best tight ends in football, so convincing him not to retire should also be an immediate item on the Falcons' to-do list.) In that situation, you'd like a powerful running game to grind out the clock, but Atlanta's rushing offense was surprisingly inept for a 13-3 football team.

The Falcons finished the regular season 29th in Football Outsiders' rushing offense rankings, and Michael Turner was among the bottom five running backs in football. That'll happen when you average just 3.6 yards per rush. The Falcons got better results out of Jacquizz Rodgers, and in many games he ended up getting more carries than Turner, but he averaged only 3.9 yards per carry. He's not the long-term answer, either.

This is not to say that Atlanta can just grab a running back in the first round and consider its offense fixed. The offensive line had trouble opening holes all year, finishing 24th in Outsiders' run blocking rankings, and dead last by a wide margin in conversion rate on short-yardage runs. Three projected starters (guard Garrett Reynolds, who missed most of the year with a back injury, plus tackle Sam Baker and center Todd McClure) are entering free agency, so this unit could be in for a complete makeover.

Atlanta's rushing defense was better than its rushing offense, but it was still a problem. The Falcons were especially vulnerable to long runs (only four defenses were worse in Outsiders' Open-Field Yards metric), and eight runners this year burned the Falcons for at least 80 yards and 5.0 yards per carry in a single game. Frankly, it's hard to find a particular unit that's responsible for this. Every level of the Atlanta defense had some players who were somewhat active against the run for their position, which suggests the problems were due more to scheme breakdowns than a lack of individual talent. Still, if a monster defensive tackle falls into their laps, the Falcons should waste no time in making him feel at home.

L.A. Angels/ Atlanta Falcons/ Anaheim Ducks/ L.A. Clippers

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast