Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    vCash
    You right. I don't see him being as good in our defense as he was though. If we could get another 2nd round pick or a 3rd and 4th for him, I would make the trade. He's an undersized corner who really uses his athleticism and ball skills very well but as he gets up in age as he is now, his athleticism will leave him and he will then be a liability on defense.

vCash
    Yeah I wanna trade him personnally but are we sure he will play for us under the franchise tag? I know most would say he doesn't have a choice but bottom line he still has a choice whether he participates. From what I read he is very upset over the franchise tag and not getting his money he wants. He has sat out on purpose before so it worries me on what he will do now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dee279 View Post
    You right. I don't see him being as good in our defense as he was though. If we could get another 2nd round pick or a 3rd and 4th for him, I would make the trade. He's an undersized corner who really uses his athleticism and ball skills very well but as he gets up in age as he is now, his athleticism will leave him and he will then be a liability on defense.
    There are plenty of dumb and desperate teams that would be interested in trading for him and giving him the money he wants. I am all for trading him and putting the money towards Mario Williams and some OL upgrades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar
    I'd love to get something for him, but I like the staff being proactive. We have one of the best corners in the NFL and one of the best free agents. Makes sense to tag him and see what happens rather than let him walk. At "worst" he ends up being our #1 corner.
    Yes.

Everyone has to keep in mind that this situation looks differently if they could cut Dunta right now, but that seems like a longshot. That's why I'm leaning towards drafting a cornerback like Gilmore or Hayward in the 2nd round and allowing him to play nickel DB, because next offseason you will have the option of letting Grimes walk or just flat-out cutting Dunta and already have a legit prospect ready to step in for either (or replace both with Franks as the #2 CB in 2013).

vCash
    True but that's if this staff can draft a solid CB in the second round. We don't have the best track record for drafting CBs outside Grimes. That being said tho maybe Nolan can do a better job than VG at coaching these guys up we may have already our guy that can step up, sometimes all these guys need is a good system and coaching to make that jump.
    Last edited by footballnut58; 03-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by footballnut58
    True but that's if this staff can draft a solid CB in the second round. We don't have the best track record for drafting CBs outside Grimes.
    Deangelo Hall was a standout his first few seasons, and Grimes is probably Top 5 right now. The problem is this organization hasn't fully committed to building a truly great secondary, the way other teams commit to building great units like the Giants with their DL, Steelers with LBs, etc. The Falcons have just picked defensive backs later in draft or get players off the street (Brian Williams, Hayden, Foxworth, etc). That's been the issue with this defense over the years, no single philosophy -- so it's kind of been pieced together on the fly. But since Nolan said his primary focus is improving the secondary, it makes sense to go that route.

vCash
    That's because we have not had one single mind drafting or coaching we get new staff in and they do things differently than the last stay for a few years then leave and we got a whole new system again.

vCash
    You could argue we are doing it now with our linebackers. Weatherspoon, Lofton, Adkins and Dent were all drafted under Dimitroff/Smith and the first two are obviously doing wonderfully and made 2/3 of possibly the best 4-3 LB group. Dent is a high potential who seems to have impressed the coaching staff as a MIKE and Adkins played good enough ball in the end of last season and could be a solid starter in the future.

vCash
    I'm very high on Dent but then I have watched him for years while he played at UGA

vCash
    According to Pro Football Weekly, the Falcons will be searching for new leadership on their offensive line if they don't re-sign C Todd McClure this offseason.

"Todd has had a great four years since we've been here," head coach Mike Smith said. "I can't speak to Todd in terms of what his thoughts are moving forward, but he's been an integral part of what we've accomplished. He's kind of been the cornerstone for our offensive line the last four years." McClure, 35, is set to become an unrestricted free agent and intends to continue playing. He remains more likely than not to return to the Falcons.
    rotoworld

vCash
    We need to re sign him. Even at 35 he is still our best lineman IMO and a great leader on that line. Makes no sense not to resign him.

vCash
    I'd welcome McClure back, but if they really want a bigger overall line, it's tough to argue with moving on.

vCash
    The Tennessee Titans are likely to use their franchise tag on safety Michael Griffin.
    Schefter

A few posters have mentioned him.

vCash
    Yeah I wouldn't have minded us signning him but my feelings arnt hurt if we dont

vCash
    Yea i brought Griffin up. Big upgrade over Decoud but oh well guess we can put our money elsewhere. Idk of anymore Good safeties in FA at the moment except Laron Landry. Goldson and Branch have already been franchised. Maybe we should keep Decoud after all. That hurt saying that. Ouch...

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast