Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Steve Palazzolo of Insider ESPN suggest 3 possible landing spots for Darrelle Revis

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs are certainly not afraid to make a big splash with veteran signings, as they spent a lot of money to bring in guard Carl Nicks, WR Vincent Jackson and CB Eric Wright last offseason. Despite the big moves, they're still in good shape, with $31.3 million of cap space going into 2013. They've drafted some cornerstone defensive players in recent years in DT Gerald McCoy, LB Lavonte David and SS Mark Barron. A veteran presence like Revis could be a perfect addition for a cornerback corps that was saddled with injuries and ineffectiveness in 2012. This would likely mean an end to the Eric Wright Era, but it would ensure that they don't go into a season resting their hopes of slowing down Marques Colston, Roddy White and Julio Jones with E.J. Biggers and Leonard Johnson.

2.Atlanta Falcons
    Another NFC South team that is not afraid to make bold moves, the Falcons traded a plethora of draft picks just to select WR Julio Jones in 2011. They were mere minutes from reaching the Super Bowl and may feel that the pieces are in place to take the next step.

The caveat here is the dangerous thought process that a team is "one player away" from a championship, which is rarely the case in the NFL. There is too much attrition during an NFL season to put so much stock in one player, and the Falcons' lack of draft picks due to the Jones trade puts them in a difficult position with regard to roster depth in the near future. Still, the aggressive front office may see a closing window of opportunity and the addition of Revis could mask some of the pass rush issues they're facing up front.

They currently have Asante Samuel entrenched on one side and despite his tackling woes (missed one of every 2.7 attempts), he's been strong in coverage, allowing a reception every 11.5 cover snaps, good for 19th in the league. On the other side is Dunta Robinson who allowed 1.55 Yards/Cover Snap, ninth worst out of the top 77 qualifying cornerbacks. With only $4.9 million of cap space, releasing Robinson would wipe his $8 million contract off the books to make room for Revis.

3. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts have a number of holes on their roster, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, and they have the cap room to do something about it. They enter the offseason $46 million under the limit, so a long-term deal with Revis is well within reach. The Colts spent nearly all of their 2012 draft picks on the offensive side, and while they built a strong nucleus around rookie QB Andrew Luck, now the defense needs a lot of attention. Bringing in Revis would allow them to allocate their resources toward must-needed upgrades to the front seven and ensure they can do something they weren't able to do this year: Shut down a team's wideouts. Cassius Vaughn, who was beaten for 40 combined first downs and touchdowns, needs to be upgraded.

L.A. Angels/ Atlanta Falcons/ Anaheim Ducks/ L.A. Clippers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar View Post
    I feel Vance Walker would be an excellent 5-technique. Babineaux could probably do it too. Travian Robertson seems like he was a hybrid coming out of college. As far as Spoon, I would love to see us use him like Arizona uses Daryl Washington. Spoon would never be a Willis or a Lewis but he could be an aggressive ILB. 7-8 sack and 10 TFL guy. Dent could be more of the physical tackler, although he is still a bit raw.
    Just trying to get on the same page with your thought and pretty much a discussion.

I viewed our DT's on the smallish side 6'2" under 300 lbs. From what I see when you have a three man front are bigger and more aggressive guys who either occupy space or occupy an offensive lineman from getting into the second level where our linebackers are. I'll buy Weatherspoon fitting that Daryl Washington role (good example kudos) but I'm having a real tough time wrapping my head around the likes of Vance Walker or Peters playing the role of an effective DE in a 3-4. I keep thinking back to prototypical guys like Justin Smith, Seymour, watts. I can see Babineaux kind of in that role because he's sort of done it before, Travian really fits that role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconsNation02
    Steve Palazzolo of Insider ESPN suggest 3 possible landing spots for Darrelle Revis

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs are certainly not afraid to make a big splash with veteran signings, as they spent a lot of money to bring in guard Carl Nicks, WR Vincent Jackson and CB Eric Wright last offseason. Despite the big moves, they're still in good shape, with $31.3 million of cap space going into 2013. They've drafted some cornerstone defensive players in recent years in DT Gerald McCoy, LB Lavonte David and SS Mark Barron. A veteran presence like Revis could be a perfect addition for a cornerback corps that was saddled with injuries and ineffectiveness in 2012. This would likely mean an end to the Eric Wright Era, but it would ensure that they don't go into a season resting their hopes of slowing down Marques Colston, Roddy White and Julio Jones with E.J. Biggers and Leonard Johnson.

2.Atlanta Falcons
    Another NFC South team that is not afraid to make bold moves, the Falcons traded a plethora of draft picks just to select WR Julio Jones in 2011. They were mere minutes from reaching the Super Bowl and may feel that the pieces are in place to take the next step.

The caveat here is the dangerous thought process that a team is "one player away" from a championship, which is rarely the case in the NFL. There is too much attrition during an NFL season to put so much stock in one player, and the Falcons' lack of draft picks due to the Jones trade puts them in a difficult position with regard to roster depth in the near future. Still, the aggressive front office may see a closing window of opportunity and the addition of Revis could mask some of the pass rush issues they're facing up front.

They currently have Asante Samuel entrenched on one side and despite his tackling woes (missed one of every 2.7 attempts), he's been strong in coverage, allowing a reception every 11.5 cover snaps, good for 19th in the league. On the other side is Dunta Robinson who allowed 1.55 Yards/Cover Snap, ninth worst out of the top 77 qualifying cornerbacks. With only $4.9 million of cap space, releasing Robinson would wipe his $8 million contract off the books to make room for Revis.

3. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts have a number of holes on their roster, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, and they have the cap room to do something about it. They enter the offseason $46 million under the limit, so a long-term deal with Revis is well within reach. The Colts spent nearly all of their 2012 draft picks on the offensive side, and while they built a strong nucleus around rookie QB Andrew Luck, now the defense needs a lot of attention. Bringing in Revis would allow them to allocate their resources toward must-needed upgrades to the front seven and ensure they can do something they weren't able to do this year: Shut down a team's wideouts. Cassius Vaughn, who was beaten for 40 combined first downs and touchdowns, needs to be upgraded.
    Boom.

vCash
    I don't think Robinson has been bad enough to justify a release but the cap room we would save would be VERY nice.

I'd be comfortable going into next season with either Grimes or Revis across from Asante with McClain as the nickel. I really don't think our secondary is that bad but without a real pass rush, not much they can do.

vCash
    I'm just not about Revis being what he once was bc of his knee...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan
    I don't think Robinson has been bad enough to justify a release but the cap room we would save would be VERY nice.

I'd be comfortable going into next season with either Grimes or Revis across from Asante with McClain as the nickel. I really don't think our secondary is that bad but without a real pass rush, not much they can do.
    The sentence before the bolded one shows how bad DR's been, but the biggest advantage for him is that he stays on the field and is a willing tackler. Still, he's going to get even more expensive each year because his deal was backloaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit
    I'm just not about Revis being what he once was bc of his knee...
    I can't bet against him. Great players just find a way. Like Peyton and Adrian.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-26-2013 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Falcons "could elect to go with" Chase Coffman as a pass-catching tight end in 2013.

Tony Gonzalez is expected to retire, and it could be a chance for Coffman, a 2009 third-round pick by the Bengals, to salvage his career. "Chase is a very good receiving tight end," said GM Thomas Dimitroff. "If Chase can... stay healthy, I think Chase has a very nice chance of being a quality football player in this league." Coffman should still be a last resort if the position can't be addressed elsewhere in the offseason.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Chase was a good pick-up. Athletic kid with excellent hands.

vCash
    Coffman was once a great prospect. him and Palmer could combine to form a good enough duo. Of course, this is only acceptable if we do it big getting a pass rusher and/or Revis as well as draft a lineman or back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz42
    Chase was a good pick-up. Athletic kid with excellent hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar
    Coffman was once a great prospect. him and Palmer could combine to form a good enough duo. Of course, this is only acceptable if we do it big getting a pass rusher and/or Revis as well as draft a lineman or back.
    Also part of that growing reputation of Mizzou TEs who can't cut it at the next level. But TD seems to like him.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-26-2013 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    WalterFootball ranks our offseason needs:
    Teams Needs:

1. Two Defensive Ends: The Falcons can't put any pressure on the quarterback whatsoever. John Abraham will be 35 in May, while Ray Edwards was released during the season. The front office could double dip at this position during the draft.

2. Running Back: This is an obvious need. Michael Turner's career is about finished, so the Falcons need to bring in a replacement. There will be plenty of backs available on Day 2 of the 2013 NFL Draft.

3. Linebacker: The Falcons' play at linebacker must improve. Stephen Nicholas can't be on the field on all three downs, while Akeem Dent was a disappointment in his first season as a starter. The team needs to find a linebacker capable of playing all three downs with Sean Weatherspoon.

4. Defensive Tackle: Atlanta will look for a defensive tackle to complement Jonathan Babineaux this offseason. Someone like Kawann Short makes sense at the end of the first round this April.

5. Interior Lineman: The Falcons will need a new right guard or center, depending on where they want to put Peter Konz. Current center Todd McClure is a 36-year-old free agent. Luckily, this upcoming draft is deep in terms of interior blockers.

6. Tight End: Tony Gonzalez will likely retire this offseason. If that's the case, Atlanta may draft a tight end early.

7. Left Tackle: Sam Baker finally got over his chronic back issues, which is why he played well in 2012. However, he's now a free agent who must be retained.

8. Strong Safety: William Moore is another free agent who has to be brought back.

9. Cornerback: Depth is needed. Brent Grimes is a free agent coming off a torn Achilles. Dunta Robinson, meanwhile, is owned $29.5 million over the next three seasons.

10. Wide Receiver: Atlanta has to find receiving depth, especially with Roddy White turning 32 in November.

11. Fullback: Mike Cox is a free agent who should be re-signed.

vCash
    I wonder if we are planning on Blalock/Konz/Reynolds on the interior next off-season. Reynolds played better than any of our other lineman before getting hurt and Konz moving to a position with more help will only help.

vCash
    It wouldn't surprise me if they put more blame on Turner instead of the OL, and just focused on getting a power back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post

I can't bet against him. Great players just find a way. Like Peyton and Adrian.
    yes, but everyone heals differently. Besides, for Adrian just jump back so quickly and run like nothing happened has me suspicious. If that's the case with Revis then that's fine...

vCash
    I just realized we may be in prime position for a QB hungry team to trade up to in this weak QB class. Can't count out moving down yet.

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast