Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

NFL Draft/Free Agent/Trade Ideas

Lots of future NFL players on the field. Seven NFL scouts on hand, including two from the Atlanta Falcons. Also with scouts in the press box: Green Bay, Houston, Cleveland, Philadelphia and the New York Giants.
    LINK

My guess is to get a look at Coby Fleener (Stanford TE) and TJ McDonald (USC S).

vCash
    I bet they were impressed with McDonald laying the **** out of that dude

vCash
    McDonald and Robert Lester (Bama) will probably be the best safeties available but I doubt either goes in Round 1.

vCash
    I'm going stick this thread so we can discuss anything concerning next year's Draft and any college players who you guys think would be a good fit here.

I watched Fleener vs Notre Dame yesterday. He looks like the next Gronkowski.

vCash
    The good thing about this draft is that we don't have any glaring needs. This is a good year(if there is one) to not have a 1st rounder. Grabbing a TE as insurance for Gonzo would be nice though.

vCash

vCash
    Yeah, another good thing is there aren't many players being mentioned as first round locks at the positions we might be looking for, so they can expect some good players to fall.

IMO, safety, offensive guard, tight end, and cornerback are the biggest needs (and maybe defensive end, depending on what happens with Abe), but we also know TD and Blank will be players in free agency.

vCash
    I know I'm jaded in this being a huge UGA fan but I wouldn't mind us picking up Rambo. He has 7 ints this year as a junior he won't be a low pick but I think he has great talent. He can play the box and the pass. Another to look out for even tho he is a sophmore is Jarvus Jones or however you spell it. He is 6 3 220 I think or there about. He has 13.5 sacks as a sophmore at LB. He is currently 2nd in the nation in sacks. I know he plays the 3-4 now but if he put some weight on or converts to a more traditional 4-3 lb h he could be of great interest for us. He is a stud, keep an eye on him

vCash
    I definitely think we cannot look anywhere besides secondary, O-Line and tight end.

vCash

vCash
    Since this got bumped, I have to say if Owens and Franks keep playing well then we may not look at CB until later in the draft. TE and O-Line (Guard specifically, tackle if we move Clabo inside) are probably our biggest needs right now.

vCash
    ^ You're probably right, but I wouldn't be in favor of Clabo moving inside to guard.

Much rather get a mauler at RG in FA or the draft, then focus on the rest.

vCash
    It's just a matter of what FA's there will be and will mediocre players get significantly overpaid? I don't want to pay someone as good as Reynolds 6 million and then be regretting it (Read: Dunta Robinson). Only way we should sign an OG is if it is a good market.

vCash
    We know mediocre players get overpaid every offseason, though. Ben Grubbs is the only big name since Carl Nicks isn't going anywhere. Still, this team has done a decent job of finding hidden gems over the years, so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a trade for someone who had fallen out of favor with his current team, but as of now, I think they are going to focus on re-signing many of the pending free agents since the FA class isn't all that great.

vCash
    the new england patriots and new orleans saints are two of the best teams in the nfl right now, thanks in part to impressive second-year tight ends rob gronkowski (patriots) and jimmy graham (saints).

Gronkowski (6-foot-6, 265 pounds) and graham (6-6, 260) are matchup nightmares with the size and ball skills to be effective targets over the middle, and the foot speed and quickness to split wide and line up at receiver. Plenty of other teams are in the market for just such a weapon, and the 2012 class provides some options.

The top five tight ends on the board are (in order) clemson's dwayne allen*, stanford's coby fleener, georgia's orson charles*, notre dame's tyler eifert* and missouri's michael egnew. All of the top four could come off the board before the second round is over, while egnew projects as a third-rounder.

What makes them valuable to nfl teams? Here's how they compare in the five position-specific categories we at scouts inc. Use to evaluate tight end prospects.

Separation skills
    1. Charles
    2. Fleener
    3. Egnew
    4. Allen
    5. Eifert

charles masks his lack of prototypical size (6-32, 245) by using his quick hands and feet to get off the line. He could make sharper cuts in his routes, but charles uses his upper body to set up his breaks and is quick enough to separate from most linebackers/safeties. He'd be an excellent fit in a place like indianapolis, where dallas clark is 32 years old and jacob tamme is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Fleener doesn't appear as quick as charles on film, but he's a fluid route-runner who can separate from man coverage and he excels at locating seams in zone looks.

Ball skills
    1. Fleener
    2. Allen
    3. Egnew
    4. Charles
    5. Eifert

fleener (6-6, 252) makes the most of his long arms and big hands. He plucks the ball out of the air instead of letting it get to his frame and can easily make one-handed grabs. His ability to adjust to back-shoulder passes and make plays in traffic is also impressive. Carolina is an interesting possibility for fleener.

Current panthers tes greg olsen and jeremy shockey have played well, but shockey is 31 years old and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Drafting fleener would give qb cam newton another big target over the middle, and fleener has the frame to develop into an effective blocker in the panthers' run-heavy scheme.

Big-play ability
    1. Charles
    2. Fleener
    3. Allen
    4. Egnew
    5. Eifert

all five of these tight ends can make plays. Even eifert, who is not much of a threat after the catch, is fast enough to work the seam and has the size (6-5, 250) to give defensive backs problems down the field. He would be a good fit for teams like the giants and bears, which have the ground games to set up the play-action package.

As for charles, his ability after the catch is what separates him. He's not quite as explosive as aaron hernandez, new england's other solid young tight end, but charles compares favorably. Both can make the first defender miss and show above-average top-end speed in space.

Competitiveness
    1. Allen
    2. Charles
    3. Fleener
    4. Eifert
    5. Egnew

this is by far the toughest trait to evaluate, and none of these prospects can be considered "soft." allen stands out, though, because of his willingness to go over the middle, ability to drag defenders for extra yards and impressive blocking ability.

Denver could be in the market for a tight end, and allen would be a good fit. He's an effective-enough blocker to open up seams in the ground game, and the broncos could use more production out of their tight ends to provide qb tim tebow (assuming he holds on to the job next season) a security blanket in the passing game.

Blocking
    1. Allen
    2. Fleener
    3. Eifert
    4. Charles
    5. Egnew

this is an area of weakness for most of these tight ends, and especially egnew. At 6-5 and 237 pounds, he is lean with a relatively high center of gravity, raising concerns about his ability to get under defenders and drive them off the ball. He also hasn't gotten much experience as an in-line blocker in missouri's spread scheme, so the best scenario for him is landing on a team looking for a situational receiver to give the passing game a boost, such as arizona or kansas city.

Allen's blocking prowess is about more than simple determination. He gets sound hand placement, can use his size (6-44, 255) to help seal the edge, knows how to get into position at the second level and can hold up in pass protection.
    from ESPN

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast