Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Reimer to miss atleast 1 start

PHILADELPHIA The Leafs won't have James Reimer between the pipes when they face off against the Flyers on Monday night.

The 23-year-old suffered a minor neck injury in the opening minutes of Saturday's game against Montreal, departing for precautionary reasons after the first period. Jonas Gustavsson made 15 saves in relief, picking up the victory in a 5-4 overtime triumph. Reimer did not practice in Philadelphia on Sunday and is considered day-to-day with Gustavsson slated to start in his absence.

"I'd be shocked if it was anything more than a couple days," said Reimer, "but you never know. It is looking better because I am lot better today than I was yesterday."

Reimer was clipped in the head by the right elbow of Canadiens captain Brian Gionta in the first minute of what concluded as the Leafs fifth victory this season. With his mask knocked askew following the collision, the Manitoba native appeared shaken for a few brief moments, before continuing on for the remainder of the period. After meeting with team doctors in the intermission, it was deemed with only minutes to spare that he would sit the rest of the game in favour of Gustavsson.

"I don't want to come out in the middle of the play," said Reimer. "It wasn't like it was super aggravating. You want to stay in there for the full period and then get a full evaluation in the intermission.

"The doctors took a look at me and just figured that it'd be best if they erred on the side of caution. I felt bad that I had to put [Gustavsson] in that position, but I thought he played really well. I might have to buy him a dinner or something like that."

Serving as an NHL starter for the first time in his career, Reimer was off to a solid start this season, having compiled a 4-0-1 record with a 2.58 goals against average and .912 save percentage. It's possible that he'll miss just one start with the injury. After Monday, the Leafs don't play again until Thursday night in New York, when they conclude a four-game road-trip against the Rangers.

Reimer suffered a similar injury in Atlanta last season, bumped in the head by the leg of Thrashers (now Jets) forward Evander Kane. Suffering from neck soreness, he left the game after 36 minutes, but returned without missing a start three days later.

Gustavsson meanwhile, made his first start of the season in Boston on Thursday night, surrendering six goals in a 6-2 loss. While shaky at times against the Canadiens two nights later, the third-year netminder did make a few key stops, including a breakaway save on Tomas Plekanec in the dying minutes of the second period.

It was the 26-year-old's first regular season victory since January 6th, when he allowed five goals on 44 shots in a 6-5 shootout win over St. Louis.

"Getting a win under his belt probably takes some of the pressure off," said Ron Wilson, following Sunday's practice. "It'd been a long time since he'd actually won a game. I expect a good performance on [Monday] anyway."

The Leafs will be forced to recall a netminder from the Toronto Marlies to back up Gustavsson versus the Flyers. Ben Scrivens is the likely candidate, having filled the void for a few games last season.
    http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=378768

vCash
    That's not too bad. The Leafs can manage. Gustavsson has been bad though, so you gotta' hope he can change things around. I remember a thread in the main NHL forum where the majority of PSD members thought Gustavsson would be better than Price. How time's have changed.

vCash
    I wonder if they are at all considering giving Scrivens the start. I'd like to give Gustavsson a chance with a healthy team considering they were tired for that Boston game and against a beatable team in Philly but I still wonder if they are considering giving Scrivens the start. He arguably out-played both Reimer and Gustavsson when he was in the game in the pre-season. Gustavsson is presumably starting though.

vCash
    my guess is that gustavsson is low on confidence which is why his play his bad. before reimer gustavsson was getting groomed to be the starter but he blew his chance and reimer took over. plus playing in the pressure cooker that is toronto and with him being made out as the goat especially since komisarek is playing decent probably has gotten to him. imo leafs should go for a veteran goalie via trade/fa and then trade gustavsson for a pick/spec. maybe turco as an fa or leighton from philly?

vCash
    Both of you are closet Leafs fans.

vCash
    ^^haha no, lol i saw this on tsn and figured i would post it. there are like no other sens fans on this site so the sens forum is dead .i saw a bit of the 2nd and 3rd period of the leafs and habs game because i was at a friends house(leafs fan) so were flipping back and fourth between the sens and leafs games

vCash
    please start scrivens!

vCash
    i love scrivens that guy is the real deal.

RaptorsMaple LeafssVikingsssBlue JayssInterTFC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Both of you are closet Leafs fans.
    I'm actually a closet Senators fan.

No, but I've watched the Leafs a lot over the past 5 years. I've seen their success, and their downfalls. They're in the media like every other day. I live in Southern Ontario so they're the team on TSN, Sportsnet, etc. I watch a lot of their games, and actually root for them more times than not. They're one of those teams like the Jets (Atlanta too), Lightning, Panthers, and Islanders that I just have to watch and root for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SensandRaps View Post
    ^^haha no, lol i saw this on tsn and figured i would post it. there are like no other sens fans on this site so the sens forum is dead .i saw a bit of the 2nd and 3rd period of the leafs and habs game because i was at a friends house(leafs fan) so were flipping back and fourth between the sens and leafs games
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I'm actually a closet Senators fan.

No, but I've watched the Leafs a lot over the past 5 years. I've seen their success, and their downfalls. They're in the media like every other day. I live in Southern Ontario so they're the team on TSN, Sportsnet, etc. I watch a lot of their games, and actually root for them more times than not. They're one of those teams like the Jets (Atlanta too), Lightning, Panthers, and Islanders that I just have to watch and root for.
    If I can convince girls to sleep with me on the first date, I can convince you two to join the dark side.

vCash
    Yea Branwings and SensandRaps are Leaf fans who just dont want to admit it lol

You should join the dark side and then you can be part of "The Nation (a ridicolous nation but its a side point)

You have to give Gustavsson the start otherwise your essentially saying you have absolutely no faith in him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    If I can convince girls to sleep with me on the first date, I can convince you two to join the dark side.
    lol has to be the greatest post on this forum ever

vCash
    ^ i LOL'd for a while.

sucks gusty has to play, he looks horrible right now... hopefully picks it up monday night

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I wonder if they are at all considering giving Scrivens the start. I'd like to give Gustavsson a chance with a healthy team considering they were tired for that Boston game and against a beatable team in Philly but I still wonder if they are considering giving Scrivens the start. He arguably out-played both Reimer and Gustavsson when he was in the game in the pre-season. Gustavsson is presumably starting though.
    I hope they are, he could be this years suprise
    JAYS RAPSLEAFSRAIDERS

(disclaimer:
    All opinions are just out of my head and in no way can be taken as fact until they happen
    )

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    This short term injury might prove to be a good thing. Finally the Lost Net Monster will have the opportunity to be the clear cut starter. This will give him the opportunity to prove that he is an NHL goalie. I personally don't think he is, but he has the chance to prove me wrong. The front office can determine the direction they will take with Lost Nettie after he proves his worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast