Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TKO Gets Cold!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    A good human goalie (ie not me) is always way better than a computer goalie. We haven't played any 5-man teams that I know of and, once you do, they confuse the hell out of and just beat up on computer goalies.

I think my biggest problem is in team games I swear they must turn off some of the auto-movements that the goalie does because most of these goals I'm doing the exact same thing I do in drop in games but the puck slips by, especially all these stupid dribble goals. Computer players are a LOT better in drop-ins, too. Either way I'm saying **** it being a defenseman.
    I know what you mean. That if you're playing as the goalie and a shot comes form the left point and you move left, the goalie will automatically move his waffle up to knock it down.
    On Dan Bylsma:

I can remember being on such a perch, or at least trying to climb over the boards to get at somebody to make a point. And I thought Dan Bylsma should have taken off his skirt and gone over there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Itztheshiznt View Post
    I know what you mean. That if you're playing as the goalie and a shot comes form the left point and you move left, the goalie will automatically move his waffle up to knock it down.
    Yeah, and some of those dribblers that got by the goalie would've stopped them with animations I don't control in drop-in games. It makes sense if they do it, though, to make drop-ins more casual and team games more realistic.

vCash
    Ok, many things to address here. The AI defenders always suck, so it helps to have at least one forward be able to get back to defend.

Offense:
    1.Avoid Turnovers
    This is huge. Especially turnovers in your own zone/neutral zone. When you're going up along the boards with the puck and you know you are going to get rocked by a defender, DUMP IT!. It gives your team a chance to get back the puck with the forecheck instead of having one guy laying on the ice getting up while the other team is on their rush. It may seem dumb to dump it in a video game but it really works. Here is a video to show you what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CVgOsbfQY
    Also a video on what not to do if you want, its long though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHT60OPhTm4

2. Do Not Be Selfish
    Everybody likes scoring goals, and keeping the puck for yourself can be one of the worst things you can do. All the time in drop-in games there will be perfect one-time opportunity and instead of passing, the player will take a bad shot from a horrible angle. An assist is as good as a goal, you are looking to win. Think what would be a good pass, and do not hold it too long. Do not try to deke everybody out because when you get matched up agaist a decent/good team they will destroy you. Keep the puck moving with good passes, but dont move it too much. Go around the net, and pass it in front or out to the point. This is also important: Passing out to the point is very underrated. If you are along the boards and dont have a clear passing lane across ice, pass it back to the defenseman. He could have a good look for a slapshot. If he doesnt score on the shot, a few good things can happen: 1. Goalie freezes the puck and a faceoff in the offensive zone. 2. Generates a nice rebound. 3. Misses the net completely and the puck works its way around the boards and still have a good chance of grabbing the puck back.

3. Do Not Call for the pass.
    When playing with AI, I always see players call for the pass. Avoid doing this. This is what generates so many turnovers creating odd man rushes. Let the computer do its thing and if you are in a good spot the AI will most likely pass to you. Whenever you call it, I always see the computer missing the pass. Here is a good video on playing with computer players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyaCOOffnx0

4. Be Patient
    Patience is key in NHL. I don't really know how to explain it, it is something you just gotta know. It is just instinct for me, some people dont really have it with NHL and you can't really teach it. If i guy goes down to block a pass, dont pass it, just be patient and try to skate around him and pass it around him, shoot it, or find a different player to pass to.

5. PLAY DEFENSE!
    This pisses me off so much when I see this. I will see a forward hangin around in the neutral zone waiting for the defense to get the puck and pass it up for a breakaway chance. Never do this. Ever. Refer back to point #2. You need as much defenders as you can and hanging around out of the zone is like giving them a powerplay. It may work once in a while, but it definitely gives them more chances is the offensive zone than you may think.

Defense
    1. Body Checking
    Checking can be a good thing but if it is overused or used in the wrong way, it can be very dangerous. Do not go after them with a body check, because like many of you have experienced before i assume, you missed and gave them a good odd man rush/breakway. Instead of typing this all out, I will show you a video i saw last year that really helped me. This is a video for NHL 11 but it can still be applied to NHL 12:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvQUE5UD68

2. Stick Checking
    Stick Checking is very useful. Instead of body checking and missing, you can always poke the puck away or lift the stick. Be careful with this, because if you are not in a good position, you could likely get a penalty for tripping/high sticking. Players like to try and deke you out, and if you are playing defense with the body check, they will get by you. If you poke check them, they wont be as successful. I believe I saw OTS say how he was a poke checking wizard. If true, thats a big help.

3. Staying Back
    IF anybody is playing defense, do not make bad passes/go up with the rush. Always stay back behind an offensive player. Never let an offensive player get behind you. I will always be on a 2 on 1 and along with another forward, a defender will come and crash the net with us. There is no reason for that. It could be acceptable if he is behind the play trying to grab a rebound, but never if he is right next to the winger. A defenseman deep in the offensive zone always leads to odd man rushes. As Peter Griffin would say, it really grinds my gears when defensemen cause offsides.

4. Defending the Cross Crease
    This is the most important thing when defending. This is usually where most goals come from. It seems like most people think they know how to defend it but really dont. If you hold LB to get down and block the passing lane, then you are not defending it correctly. I always did this and it seemed to be effective (mostly) until i saw this video. I saw this a few weeks ago and it really helped defending the cross crease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06bgUd-Zmqg

5. Shot Blocking
    Always try to get in front of a slapshot from the point or any shot for that matter thats not deep in the zone. Shot blocking does a lot and raises your team play grade also. It's really simple, so not much to explain, but do not forget how important it can be. I assume you guys know LB is to block shots.

6. When the goalie has the puck
    When the goalie gets the puck, let him freeze it. The only time I would say it is acceptable to call for it is when there is absolutely NO opposition players in the offensive zone. Whenever you call for it, the goalie never passes it directly to your team. I can't tell you how many times someone on my team called for it and the other team grabbed it and scored. You would not believe how many goals you could prevent just by letting the goalie freeze it.

As far as goalies go, I suck at goalies and hate human goalies that don't know what theyre doing/give up easy goals. I have a few more advanced tips that i occasionally use, and feel like im forgetting something so if you wanna ask anything else specifically, just ask and i could help out.

I hope Bill reads this to see what he thinks, he seems like a great player, but never got to play with him. Wish we could have a PS3 version of this also. I will post my stats after this post to show you how I've been doing.
    Last edited by metsrock229; 11-07-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: #6 on defense

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    MY STATS for NHL 12 EASHL
    *These are all in Drop-in Games Also*
    Remember, these are in games where i dont know anybody/no team chemistry.
    I am currently 4 games from my Superstar 2 card.

Overall Skater:
    GP - 76
    W/L - 40-36
    G - 44
    A - 55
    P - 99
    plus/minus = 11

Left Winger
    GP - 19
    W/L - 12-7
    G - 19
    A - 21
    P - 40
    plus/minus = 20

Center
    GP - 10
    W/L - 7-3
    G - 7
    A - 7
    P - 14
    plus/minus = 1

Right Winger
    GP - 14
    W/L - 7-7
    G - 8
    A - 7
    P - 15
    plus/minus = -4

Defender
    GP - 33
    W/L - 14-19
    G - 10
    A - 20
    P - 30
    plus/minus = -6

If you have any questions about my player types/ratings, let me know.
    I think my stats are pretty good for drop in games

vCash
    Anyone going to be on tonight? I'll probably be on most of the night playing D, and I have a mic now finally.

vCash
    That "Defnding The Cross Crease" video helped a lot btw, mets. Now I can stop looking/feeling like a ****** defending a 2-on-1. I'll just try it when I get home of course, but what does holding LT do exactly? Backskate?

vCash
    I believe LT other than skating backwards makes your player aware of passes and makes him intercept passes

vCash
    Yep, it definitely helps you receive passes and it turns you toward the puck while you're skating.

vCash
    You *****es should get on tonight and/or tomorrow. After that I'm all Skyrim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    You *****es should get on tonight and/or tomorrow. After that I'm all Skyrim.
    Is that like the mile high club for rim jobs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
    Is that like the mile high club for rim jobs?
    Essentially, yeah.

vCash
    I'll be playing tonight

vCash
    I'm goin to play now. Anyone else down?
    On Dan Bylsma:

I can remember being on such a perch, or at least trying to climb over the boards to get at somebody to make a point. And I thought Dan Bylsma should have taken off his skirt and gone over there.

vCash
    OTS is officially my *****.
    On Dan Bylsma:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Itztheshiznt View Post
    OTS is officially my *****.
    How'd that last game go? I'm thinking 3-0.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast