Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Garrioch: Flames' Feaster would like to make moves

There are more than a couple of contracts Flames GM Jay Feaster would like to burn.

Two league sources told QMI Agency that Feaster is desperately trying to get money off the books.

Not only would Feaster move struggling C Olli Jokinen in a heartbeat, the word around the league is the Flames have been shopping C Matt Stajan, W Niklas Hagman and D David Moss.

You canít blame Feaster for trying to clean up the mess of bad spending left by former GM Darryl Sutter, but heís going to have a difficult time finding anybody willing to take on those contracts, especially this early in the season.

Stajan will be particularly tough to move.

The 27-year-old Stajan, who was part of the deal that sent D Dion Phaneuf to the Leafs, received a mystifying four-year, $14-million extension from Sutter. The contract, that has three years remaining, will make it nearly impossible for Feaster to trade him.

Depending on where the Flames sit in February (and by all accounts theyíre expected to be on the outside looking in) then Jokinen, Hagman and Moss could all be deadline rentals for teams looking to bulk up in the playoffs.

All three are set to become UFAs in July and wonít have much left on their contracts by that time.

For now, Feasterís hands appear to be tied.
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/15/...-to-make-moves

vCash
    Also hearing about teams phoning about Bourque. I'd really don't mind Bourque's contract. $3.3 mil cap hit for 3 more years is pretty reasonable considering when he's healthy he has 30 goal potential, and isn't afraid of the corners. Be nice to dump Hagman or Stajan but those are as likely as Charlie Sheen becoming a vegan.

vCash
    I've been hearing Bourque's name too, but I thnik it's too early to pull the trigger. I don't think anyones going to happen, yet at least.

vCash
    It would stink to see Bourque leave but for the future of the club it might be a good idea. The future is what we have to be concerned with and getting young prospects to mould into future Flames may be the right move. Stajan, Hagman...bye bye we hope there are some takers for these 2. Jokinen is getting better so it may be a good idea to get rid of him while he is leading the Flames in points. I am an optimist when for the 2011-2012 season and hoping the boys squeeze into the playoffs but an early exit is of no interest to all Flames fans. For this Flames fan, sacrifice a couple seasons to get younger and faster and get rid of the dead weight!
    www.thesportsrealestateguy.com