Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    man this thread has totally stalled, btw, valddy do you think the angels should revert cj cron back to catcher? Even if he does fix his walk rate, there is nowhere for him to play at the major league level with pujols and trumbo where they are,
    Vladdy has been busy with school starting up again, there is only about a week left in the minor league season.

With Cron's injuries I think it is highly unlikely he goes back to catcher. Coming out of college he had a rotator cuff injury, and last season he blew out his knee cap on a swing. I also dont think we will see him at a corner OF spot or at the hot corner. He is a 1B/DH.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    @Alden_Gonzalez: #Angels AFL reps: INF Kaleb Cowart, OFs Randal Grichuk & Travis Witherspoon, C Carlos Ramirez (taxi), Ps: Buddy Boshers, Ryan Chaffee, Kevin Johnson, Nick Maronde. #Angels reps play for Scottsdale Scorpions.

I would have liked to see Caleb Graham go, but still a lot of the Angels top prospects

vCash
    i was going to post the cron's injury and about the AFL, but im glad you got to it

vCash
    I thought this was an interesting read from CBSsports:

Mike Trout is the most exciting thing to happen to baseball since the concession-stand hot dog. He's arguably the very best player in the game, even after he spotted everybody else a month this summer. At 21, he is the youngest to ever -- as in, ever -- produce a 25-homer/40-theft season.

He also pilots the Angels charter flights, personally cleans the halo above the Big A in the parking lot and feeds the Rally Monkey before he goes home each night.

Well ... some of those last items might not be true, technically. But this is: A total of 23 players were chosen by 21 different clubs in the 2009 draft before the Angels picked outfielder Randal Grichuk 24th and Trout 25th.

For this, you would think the genius who drafted Trout for the Angels would have been rewarded with, what? A lifetime contract? A Lamborghini? A personal masseuse?

Instead, Eddie Bane got fired.

Then-general manager Tony Reagins summoned Bane, Angels' scouting director from 2004-2010, into his office two years ago and told him to get lost.

"Real short conversation," says Bane, who now scouts for the Detroit Tigers. "He said, 'We're not going to renew your contract.' I said, 'You've gotta be kidding me.' He said, 'I don't like your last couple of drafts.' "

Stuff happens in baseball every day, some things more unexpected than others. Even lifers like Bane know you're hired to be fired. In Houston this week, first-year general manager Jeff Luhnow's reorganization of the Astros included dumping a handful of veteran scouts, including Scipio Spinks and Jack Lind.

"Scouts hate this time of year, the end of August, early September," Bane says. "Because after the draft, that's when guys get let go.

"It drives a stake through your heart because you see guys on the road all the time, and then all of a sudden you don't see them anymore."

But ... you find a Trout and you're still a short-timer?

The Angels, with Bane drafting, also acquired All-Stars Jered Weaver and Mark Trumbo (2004). Trumbo smashed his career-high 30th home run the other day, becoming the first Angel to club 30 or more homers in a season since Kendrys Morales in 2009.

Morales? Signed by Bane as an international free agent in 2005.

Also from the '09 draft came pitchers Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin, whom Reagins wound up trading to Arizona as part of the four-player package for pitcher Dan Haren on July 25, 2010 -- about a month before the GM dismissed Bane.

Skaggs (supplemental first-round pick) and Corbin (second round) followed Trout in '09. So did Angels pitcher Garrett Richards (3-3, 4.84 ERA in 14 games, nine starts), who also was another supplemental first-round pick in '09.

"Saying he didn't like that draft was like a slap in my face, because those were really good drafts," Bane says. "You look at Dan Haren, who is a really good pitcher, but I never understood that trade because you knew how good Skaggs was going to be, and Corbin had potential.

"Skaggs has got a chance to be a No. 1 starter, and Corbin is almost a lock to be a No. 3. That was the one that bothered me the most."

There are many reasons why the Rangers have replaced the Angels as the elite team in the AL West. Chief among them is that, while the Angels' baseball operations department became dysfunctional during the Reagins era (2008-2011) under owner Arte Moreno, the Rangers' brain trust emerged state-of-the-art under club president Nolan Ryan and GM Jon Daniels. First-year Angels GM Jerry Dipoto and his staff, almost entirely new, are playing from behind in attempting to close that gap.

The Angels, through a club spokesperson, declined to speak on the subject of Bane's firing this week.

"Everyone knows we didn't get along," Bane says of Reagins.

Nevertheless, scouts become so invested in the players they bring into an organization that they often view them as family. And so it is that, from afar, Bane continues rooting for his guys (when they're not playing the Tigers, of course).

"Without a doubt," Bane says. "I get texts from those guys, and I text 'em back."

"He texts my parents quite a bit, and he still keeps in touch with me," Trout says. "He's a great dude. I thought he was a great guy.

"I guess the Angels wanted to go their separate way."

When the Angels were in final deliberations leading up to the '09 draft, Bane flew East for what since has become a storied dinner with the Trout family. They went to a place just outside of Trout's home town of Millville, N.J., to become better acquainted.

"You could tell they were really good people," Bane says. "His parents bragged on his brother and daughter, too. Not just on Mike. Everybody got cut down, and then everybody got boosted up.

"You could tell nobody was phony. Mike acted how he wanted."

Trumbo, too, continues to keep in touch with Bane.

"He was the main reason I got a chance," says Trumbo, the Angels' 18th-round pick in '04. "He believed in me when a lot of people had doubts.

"That's really special to me. You never forget."

Trumbo, in fact, vividly remembers the first time he met Bane: During a Fall Ball game before his senior year of high school, when Trumbo was warming up in the bullpen before pitching at Cal State Fullerton.

"Phil Hughes threw the first inning," Trumbo says of his old teammate, who now pitches for the Yankees. "I threw the second inning. Every week."

From those early days, relationships -- and careers -- are shaped.

"We're all big boys," says Bane, 60, who also is responsible for drafting fleet outfielder Peter Bourjos (2005) on the current Angels' roster (and Paul Konerko when he was with the Dodgers in the 1980s). "Everybody understands things happen."

He pitched for the Twins from 1973-76, coached in the minors and then started as a scout with the Indians in the mid-1980s, learning under executives Joe Klein and Birdie Tebbetts.

"Those guys were like my grandfathers," Bane says. "When I thought I knew everything, they let me know I didn't. Joe Klein used to say there are good people in every organization. Sometimes I think we can forget that."

So the game delivers reminders.

"I'm really lucky I ended up where I did," Bane says. "Dave Dombrowski [Tigers' GM] and Scott Reid [special assistant to the GM] have been great.

"Jim Leyland, Gene Lamont ... they're all baseball people, and they're tremendous. Dave is just a genius in making everybody feel like they're involved."

Crazy, how this game can produce bad bounces and true hops, sometimes both at the same time. While Bane's pulse is with the Tigers, his fingerprints remain evident all over the Angels.

"I didn't know he had that kind of power," Bane says of Trout. "Maybe when he'd be 26, 27 years old. But he's hitting balls a real long way now. He's driving in runs, playing the outfield, running the bases ... and he does it all with so much enthusiasm.

"That's what's infectious. And I think he'll be doing that his whole life."

vCash
    That 2009 draft was historically good.

Randal Grichuk, top 10 prospect
    Mike Trout, top player in baseball
    Tyler Skaggs, top 10 prospect in baseball, potential #1
    Garrett Richards, top 3 prospect, potential good #2
    Patrick Corbin, top 10 prospect, potential good #3
    Josh Spence, didnt sign but was great for the Padres last season
    Carlos Ramirez, future big league catcher, likely as a back up
    David Carpenter, future setup man
    Travis Witherspoon, top 10 prospect

Potentially you have a 1-2-3, a superstar, 2 average above average OF, a solid back up catcher, and 2 good relief pitchers. All from one draft.

Bane didnt always have this kind of success though

Jered Weaver (1st)
    Nick Adenhart (14th)
    Mark Trumbo (18th)
    Bobby Cassevah (34th)

Weaver was a no brainier, he would have gone first overall if it wasnt for Boras so you cant really credit Bane here.

Trevor Bell (1st)
    Sean O'Sullivan (3rd)
    Brian Matusz (4th)
    Jeremy Moore (6th)
    Peter Bourjos (10th)
    Buster Posey (50th)

Obviously we didnt sign Matusz or Posey. Posey was also drafted as a pitcher so dont give Bane too much credit here either. Bourjos is really the only one (that we signed) that has done anything.

Hank Conger (1st)
    Jordan Walden (12th)

49 players and only 2 are worthy of being mentioned.

Jonathan Bachanov (1st)
    Matt Harvey (3rd)
    Andrew Romine (5th)
    Trevor Reckling (7th)
    Carlos Ramirez (34th) (Same one from 2009)

Once again obviously we didnt sign Harvey. The most we will end up getting from this draft is a back INF

Tyler Chatwood (2nd)
    Ryan Chaffee (3rd)
    Zachary Cone (3rd)
    Buddy Boshers (4th)
    Michael Kohn (13th)
    John Hellweg (16th)
    Andrew Taylor (34th)
    Donn Roach (40th)

We've traded a lot of these guys. Chatwood (Iannetta), Hellweg (Greinke), and Roach (40th). Cone and Roach went unsigned, Cone was drafted by the Rangers last year in the first round, Roach was re-drafted.

Kaleb Cowart (1st)
    Cam Bedrosian (1st)
    Chevy Clarke (1st)
    Taylor Lindsey (1st)
    Ryan Bolden (1st)
    Daniel Tillman (2nd)
    Donn Roach (3rd)
    Kole Calhoun (8th)
    AJ Schugel (25th)

Out of 5 first round picks, 3 have done jack squat, and 1 is about average at best. So he swung and missed on 4/5 first round draft picks.

So 2004-2010 his only picks that have been successful at the big league level are

Jered Weaver
    Nick Adenhart
    Mark Trumbo
    Peter Bourjos
    Jordan Walden
    Mike Trout

With these guys having good potential

Nick Adenhart (Top of the rotation Potential)
    Hank Conger (Above Average Player)
    Matt Harvey (Top of the rotation Potential)
    John Hellweg (Top of the rotation Potential)
    Zachary Cone (Above Average Player)
    Tyler Skaggs (Top of the rotation Potential)
    Garrett Richards (Top of the rotation Potential)
    Patrick Corbin (Good Number 3)
    Randal Grichuk (Above Average Player)
    Travis Witherspoon (Above Average Player)
    Kaleb Cowart (Perennial All Star Potential)
    Donn Roach (Good Number 3)
    Kole Calhoun (Above Average Player)

I think its still to early to judge Bane's success

vCash
    1 Kaleb Cowart
    2 C.J. Cron
    3 Taylor Lindsey
    4 Nick Maronde
    5 Kole Calhoun
    6 Cam Bedrosian
    7 Travis Witherspoon
    8 Andrew Romine
    9 Luis Jiminez
    10 Nick Mutz
    11 Daniel Tillman
    12 Randal Grichuk
    13 Chevez Clarke
    14 AJ Schugel
    15 Mike Clevinger
    16 R.J. Alvarez
    17 Eric Stamets
    18 Alex Yarbrough
    19 Carlos Ramirez
    20 Austin Wood
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_ana

That list is pretty laughable. They have 2 guys in the top 10 that I wouldnt even have in my top 20

They have Cowart ranked 53rd overall in the MLB (Segura 59th) and he is our only top 100 prospect.

vCash
    wow forgot we coulda had posey

now imagine if he was our catcher....

vCash
    hey is Maronde really that good?
    people seem high on him

vCash
    @Alden_Gonzalez: The #Angels and their Double-A affiliate in Arkansas have announced new 2-year PD contract, through 2014. Began partnership in '01.

vCash
    The Angels have 8 players playing in the Arizona Fall League, (LHRP) Buddy Boshers, (RHSP) Bobby Cassevah, (RHRP) Ryan Chaffee, (RHRP) Kevin Johnson, (C) Carlos Ramirez, (3B) Kaleb Cowart, (OF) Randal Grichuk, and (OF) Travis Witherspoon.

Last year the Angels participants were Trout, Segura, Conger, Chris Scholl, Andrew Taylor, Daniel Tillman, and David Carpenter all but two of those guys reached the big leagues so I think its safe to assume we will see some of the guys in the big leagues next season.

Every team is required to send at least 6 players, and to be eligible for the AFL you have to be a Double-A or Triple-A player. Each team is also allowed to send one player that is below Double-A (although the Angels have two Grichuk/Cowart). A player is also not allowed to have more than a year of major league service. Maronde was originally supposed to participate but when he got called up to the big leagues the Angels replaced him with Cassevah.

So far

G 3 IP 1.1 H 4 ER 2 ERA 13.50 K 1 BB 3 HR 1 (Boshers)
    G 2 IP 7.0 H 2 ER 0 ERA 0.00 K 4 BB 2 HR 0 (Cassevah)
    G 3 IP 2.1 H 6 ER 3 ERA 11.57 K 5 BB 4 HR 0 (Chaffee)
    G 3 IP 5.0 H 3 ER 0 ERA 0.00 K 6 BB 0 HR 0 (Johnson)

G 2 H-AB 2-5 Avg .400 HR 0 2B 0 BB 0 (Ramirez)
    G 5 H-AB 4-18 Avg .222 HR 0 2B 1 BB 1 (Cowart)
    G 6 H-AB 6-24 Avg .250 HR 1 2B 0 BB 0 (Grichuk)
    G 7 H-AB 6-24 Avg .250 HR 1 2B 1 BB 2 (Witherspoon)

Last year everybody but Segura struggled, yes even Trout. Players are worn out because they have likely never played this long, they are also facing tougher competition, and not getting consistent playing time. Basically the way I see it is a player wont lose value if he struggles (*), but if he does really good he can gain value.

(*) If a guy like Cassevah (a guy with a good portion of major league time) struggles then it can definitely hurt his stock.

While we are on the subject of Cassevah he has made two starts so far, the first time going 3 innings, the second going 4. It looks like the Angels might be switching him to a starting pitcher, could be helpful as a long relief pitcher/spot starter.

vCash
    Hmm I never thought of Cassevah as a starter. I guess he'll be a good backup option if Garret Richards struggles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo4life View Post
    wow forgot we coulda had posey

now imagine if he was our catcher....

yeah right, he isn't good enough defesivley for Mike Sciocia's standards, also, he was drafted as a pitcher, and coming out of high school and his first couple years in College, he was a SS.
    people seem high on him
    yeah he is 2legit2quit

vCash
    people seem high on him
    He can be a very good #2

And if something goes wrong there he can be a very good late inning option

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    yeah right, he isn't good enough defesivley for Mike Sciocia's standards, also, he was drafted as a pitcher, and coming out of high school and his first couple years in College, he was a SS.
    Ya I don't really consider Posey a loss for the Angels, if the Angels had signed him he would likely be out of baseball

Someone like Matt Harvey is one that should be with the Angels right now, high pick but we failed to sign him

vCash
    @JeffFletcherOCR: Tom Kotchman, longtime #Angels minor league manager, reportedly resigns

I wonder if it had anything to do with his wife

vCash
    Arizona fall league game is on right now and Cowart just made a great catch going into the first row of the stands

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819