Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ballard impresses in season opener

If it wasnít Keith Ballardís best game as a Canuck, itís hard to recall one that was better.

The much-maligned defenceman was solid in a pairing with frequent partner Chris Tanev and scored a highlight-reel goal on a warp-speed play that he started in his own zone and finished at the other end on a wonderful pass from Henrik Sedin.

Mind you, Ballard is coming off such a tough year that the bar didnít get very high last season, his first in Vancouver.

Ballard, 28, found himself at a deficit almost from the beginning after being acquired by the Canucks in a multi-player trade with Florida last summer. The main reason was off-season hip surgery, which set him back in training. An early-season concussion didnít help and by November he was a healthy scratch for the first time in his NHL career. A knee injury in February added to Ballardís frustrations and by the time the playoffs rolled around he found himself a frequent healthy scratch.

Ballard, who faced huge expectations because of his $4.2 million contract, looks like a different player. Certainly, a solid summer of training Ė and a chance to clear his mind Ė has paid off.

ďPhysically it is (better), but I donít want to use injuries as an excuse,Ē said Ballard Saturday, as the Canucks embarked on a four-games-in-six-days road trip that begins on Monday in Columbus. ďI didnít have a very good year, but Iíve moved past that. I had a good summer with the right mind-set. Physically, I feel as good as I have in a while and thatís all Iím going with. I just want to come in and play solid and be reliable.Ē

In preseason and in Thursdayís 4-3 OT loss to Pittsburgh in the season opener, you noticed Ballardís skating Ė one of his biggest assets. Last season, not so much. He admits that last year, as his struggles mounted he tried to do too much and ended up compounding his problems.

ďYou get into bigger mistakes usually and I did that a bit last year,Ē he said. ďIt was up and down when it didnít go well I tried to do too much. This year itís been different, keep it simple, make the right read, make the right play, use my skating, use my abilities.

ďItís just playing to my strengths and thatís using my skating. If Iím not skating, getting back to pucks quick, get up in the play quick, then Iím not as effective. Itís just getting back to whatís made me successful.Ē

Head coach Alain Vigneault says an improved Ballard can only help a defence corps that will have to replace Christian Ehrhoff with a better group performance.

ďThatís a real positive,Ē said Vigneault. ďKeith came to camp with a great attitude and healthy and it showed since Day 1. Heís played real well. In the first game he was real dependable without the puck and made some good plays with it.Ē

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Canu...#ixzz1aFbNHjvz
    He's the one Dman I am most rooting for this year. It was unfair what happened to him last year.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Agreed sf, I want him to do well. He seems to be in great shape, I always thought he was a slow skater but he looks so smooth out there.