Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bolts pickup Keith Aulie and Brian Lee in seperate Trades

NHL.com

Tampa sent Carter Ashton to the Leafs for D Keith Aulie, and also send Gilroy to the Sens for D Brian Lee.

I was pretty high on Ashton, but from what I've heard Aulie is a legit blue liner...

vCash
    Aulie has potential, kind of sucks that we gave up Ashton.

But we are building for the future, and Aulie looks to have the physicality that we now lack on D. I am not encouraged that he is a - in both the Minors and the NHL.

Lee ... I think he is like Malone, he just doesn't fit where he is, so it may be a better fit for him in Tampa, I like the idea.

vCash
    Here to give some perspective on Aulie for you guys.

Keith Aulie is a nice pickup. His ceiling is probably as a modified version of Hal Gill, maybe slightly better and more gritty. But he is going to be a very good defensive defenceman. Very solid 2nd pair defensive defenceman. His size means his stick is real long which makes him a great weapon on the PK, especially on the 5 on 3 where he shines. His skating isn't good and probably never will be very good but that won't be his strength anyway. He'll be able to toss guys around as well which will be very helpful. He doesn't play a lick of offence and doesn't have any offensive talent anywhere in that 6'6" frame, so don't expect any from him, but he's good defensively. Paired with a good skater and a good puck mover, maybe like Hedman, he's probably a real good player.

I love the deal for the Leafs cause they have a ton of defensive depth and they deal out of it to get a big forward with a lot of upside in Ashton which is something we needed but I like it for the Bolts too because they are pretty set at forward long term with Stammer, Vinny, Marty for a little while longer, a prospect like Connolly, and probably a high pick in this years draft to add to that mix so dealing out of that for a dman where they are weak at the NHL level and thin in the minors makes a lot of sense.

I also really like the Gilroy for Lee deal. Lee still has some potential and buying low on him makes a lot of sense for a team with a terrible defence like Tampa. He's likely a complete bust and done, but if you get lucky, he was a top 10 pick at one point and he had top 10 pick talent, if he could find that, he's a steal. Gilroy doesn't have that. That trade is a good one.

vCash
    DEBUT: D Keith Aulie, acquired Monday from the Maple Leafs, made his debut and played 10:39 with three hits and a blocked shot.

Aulie played just two shifts in the third period and none in overtime, but Boucher said that was because it was his first game: "He was good. A big body with mobility. That helped us."
    tampabay.com

vCash
    5 questions with Aulie:
    5 questions

Defenseman Keith Aulie

Who is your favorite country music star?

George Strait, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson. I love George Jones, Waylon Jennings.

Why so much old-school?

Some of the new stuff is so poppy. I like the old stuff.

How did you get into it?

Just listened to it all my life. I grew up on it, and I love it.

Do you play an instrument?

I play guitar. I strum along to a lot of songs, but I'm no guitar ninja by any means.

Band you'd like to play with?

Garth Brooks in his prime.
    tampabay.com...