Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bolts focus on Vancouver's Schneider

With the Lightning deciding to pass at the trade deadline on minor-league goaltender Ben Bishop GM Steve Yzerman said he wasn't willing to give up a second-round draft pick the search for a No. 1 was pushed into the summer.

The speculation is Tampa Bay will make a run at Canucks backup Cory Schneider.

The Lightning, with two first-round picks in the June draft and likely four in the second, have the ammunition to make a rich offer for the pending restricted free agent. And Schneider has an appealing resume.

Unlike Bishop, Schneider has been full time the past two seasons in the NHL. He has played just 49 regular-season games in that span, but he has been a winner as Roberto Luongo's backup and soaked in the harsh demands of the league and what it takes to succeed.

It was the lack of such a background that was Yzerman's red flag with Bishop.

In 59 career games entering Saturday, Schneider was 32-14-4 with a 2.36 goals-against average and a .924 save percentage. He also is stuck behind Luongo, who with 10 more years on his contract that pays $6.714 million for the next six, is not going anywhere.

Schneider, who makes $900,000 this season, can be signed to a much more reasonable deal, but perhaps even more important, he is the right age.

The goalie turns 26 on March 18. That gives him plenty of time to grow along with Lightning players such as Steven Stamkos, 22; Keith Aulie, 22; Victor Hedman, 21; Brian Lee, 24; Brendan Mikkelson, 24; Teddy Purcell, 26; and Cory Conacher, 22, when he finally gets the call from AHL Norfolk.

Is Schneider absolutely the way Yzerman is planning to go? Obviously, nothing is in stone in March when you're talking about a transaction that might not happen until the last weekend in June at the draft.

But Schneider likely has enough of the aptitude and experience Yzerman wants, and he still has upside.

If it's not yet a match, it's certainly one worth considering.
    Link

vCash
    Schneider would be an awesome fit. If SY makes it happen I can maybe start forgiving him for Downie...

vCash
    Premature. .. Yzerman had a horrible deadline. Crazy thing is, this team has a great shot at making the playoffs.

vCash
    I know im a Hawks fan, but my Second team is the Lightning, and has been for many many years. Of coarse living in Chicago, i cant keep up with them much, but what the HELL has happend from last year till this year? We were in ECF last year, and now we are barely in playoffs?

Can someone explain exactly why or how this has happend?
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi~TwnHawksFan View Post
    I know im a Hawks fan, but my Second team is the Lightning, and has been for many many years. Of coarse living in Chicago, i cant keep up with them much, but what the HELL has happend from last year till this year? We were in ECF last year, and now we are barely in playoffs?

Can someone explain exactly why or how this has happend?
    There's lots of reasons for this, but the short answer is Dwayne Roloson.
    The guy absolutely STOLE many games for the Bolts by standing on his head on a nightly basis.
    Obviously, he hasn't played anywhere near that this season, and backup Garon has been pressed into duty alot more than TB really wanted him to be involved.

The Tampa defense from last year to this year has been pretty much the same. Oh, sure, guys like Hedman have matured another year, but no Mattias Ohlund (not that I am a big fan of his, but he IS a hitter, and can be quite nasty), and we have been without Bergeron for lots of stretches at a time.

Also, we lost Sean Bergenheim, who while during the regular season was just average, during the playoffs, he was a beast...same could be said for guys like Nate Thompson and Adam Hall.

None of those guys have performed like they did during the playoff run, and of course, Bergenheim is now with the Panthers.

The Bolts have been trying to nurse along young guys like Brett Connolly, and have given Tom Pyatt and Ryan Shannon slightly bigger roles to fill in the gaps left by the veterans who aren't performing and the departed Bergenheim.

As great as last season was, the Bolts really OVER achieved in my book then.
    We are seeing what they really are this season:
    Without the heroics of Roloson, the Bolts are a young team, full of talent and possibility, trying to find a firm, consistent foothold in the NHL playoff landscape.
    The team doesn't have to go into total rebuild mode, but Stevie Y has acknowledged the team has needs, and he has done what he can thus far to address some of it....starting with defense.

I am sure he will tackle the goaltending issue in the off season....hence this thread about Corey Schneider, for starters.

Also, another point to consider:
    Guy Boucher's play systems can be somewhat complex, and rely heavily on precision and execution.
    Something that may be tough for young players to grasp right away. They do seem to be grasping it slowly but surely, but with the bit of turnover from last year to this year, and new guys brought in or given bigger roles(Connolly, Shannon, Gilroy, Gervais, Mikkelson), everyone being on the same page of a complex, but effective play system, will take time.