Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Yankees do with Joba when he comes back from Tommy John?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep him as a MR and try to trade him

3 9.68%
  • Keep him as a MR and try to make him the Future CL

3 9.68%
  • Send him down and rehab to be a Starter then trade him

5 16.13%
  • Send him down and rehab to be a Starter for 2013/14

20 64.52%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Joba Chamberlain

Joba Chamberlain Represents Internal Upgrade For New York Yankees’ Starting Rotation

This will hardly be venturing into new waters, but it is time for me put my two cents into this brewing discussion/debate. Joba Chamberlain: The Starter vs. The Reliever has been the most polarizing issue that I’ve encountered as a New York Yankees fan. I was firmly entrenched in the camp that wanted Joba Chamberlain in the rotation. I know he sucked most of 2009, but he was still an inexperienced starting pitcher and had shown in 2008 that he had the ability to dominate opposing lineups. Even though the New York Yankees might have made up their mind in terms of Joba Chamberlain’s role with the team, there are at least two good reasons for them to consider moving him out of the bullpen and back into the starting rotation.

The primary reason is that Chamberlain is a better option than several of the pitchers lining the depth chart. To be 100% honest, I think Chamberlain would outproduce Ivan Nova if given an equal opportunity. Chamberlain was always more highly regarded as a prospect and I’m not ready to concede that he wouldn’t be a solid starting pitcher. If Chamberlain is/would be capable of outperforming Nova in the rotation, it pretty much goes without saying that he would be a more attractive option than Freddy Garcia, Hector Noesi, David Phelps, Adam Warren and D.J. Mitchell – in terms of ceiling and upside at the very least.

Secondly, upon his return from Tommy John surgery, Chamberlain is penciled into a crowded bullpen. For 2012, the Yanks already have Mariano Rivera, David Robertson and Rafael Soriano holding down the back end of the ‘pen. In addition, the Yanks have Boone Logan and maybe even a second lefty if Brian Cashman signs another one. What is the team going to do, slot Joba into the 6th inning? Even beyond the potentially untouchable back three and one or two lefty options, at least one or two of the aforementioned names (Noesi, Phelps, Warren, Mitchell) are probably best suited for the bullpen. There certainly isn’t room for all of them in the rotation – especially with top prospects Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances en route to a permanent spot in the big leagues by sometime in 2013.

Those are the two main reasons – a weak starting rotation on paper and a crowded bullpen – but there are some others to consider. A starting pitcher is almost always going to be more valuable than a middle reliever. There is never a problem with increasing a player’s value. Increased value can improve a player’s trade stock or simply give the team more bang for their buck. You can also consider the fact that Chamberlain is coming off of TJ surgery. This would at least seem like a perfect opportunity to “rebuild” Chamberlain as a starting pitcher since he’s starting from square one in a lot of ways.

I know I’m setting myself up for disappointment here, but I find it hard to accept that the New York Yankees are not better off with Joba Chamberlain making a return to the starting rotation. Go ahead and put your seatbelt on. The “great debate” is just getting restarted.

http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-y...ting-rotation/
    Last edited by Rook; 12-28-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Link added.

vCash
    I agree. There's an article on RAB today agreeing too. Basically, if Joba goes to the pen, he's what, a 6th inning guy (behind Soriano - Roberton - Mo)? If he starts, he might not be successful, but, let's face it, the bar is kind of low for starters right now.

vCash
    not only did i mention this last year but this story was brought up on RAB today also

but knowing the yankees they probably wont even toy with the idea but they should bring him back slowly as a startert through the minors, worst case scenario he goes back to the pen

vCash
    Joba will be traded for Felix. I'll start a thread.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

The Ace.

vCash
    He should be a starter. It makes too much sense (even though the Yankees won't do it) to put him back in the rotation.

vCash
    I mean the Sox are doing it with Bard and he hasn't started a single game since 2007 and never above A ball. Joba pitched 150 innings in the big leagues two years ago.

And whats the worst that could possibly happen? If he really sucks that bad in the rotation you can slide him back into the bullpen easily. And before people say we shouldn't keep moving him back and forth I think its time we give that up. Guys not a prospect anymore, he'll be a free agent in 2 years. If they don't try and see what they have in him this year then they never will.

With Rivera here for at least another year, Robertson here for a while and Soriano here for probably two more years Joba isn't gonna be more than a middle reliever for the rest of his contract. So put him in the rotation and see what you have once and for all. If he is an average starter he will be 10x better than Burnett.

vCash
    Joba was a starter his whole career until 2007. I understand, if not necessarily agree with, the decision to move him to the pen, first for necessity, later due to his arm injury. We needed arms in the pen, and our rotation was full. Now the opposite appears true, and with luck the TJS and rehab will fix and strengthen Joba's arm. If we are willing to take fliers on Mark Prior and Bartolo Colon, I don't see how they could pass up this opportunity.

vCash
    We all agree, give him another shot as a starter. It's not like our bullpen will fall apart without him.

vCash
    Joba if healthy and actually stronger could be a solid starter in the majors. I have believed for a long time that he pitched through arm issues and truthfully the only logical reason for his inconsistancy in velocity and sharpness on his breaking balls.

vCash
    He won't get another shot I don't think. We don't need him as a starter with CC, Hughes, noesi, banuelos, bettances, phelps

vCash
    I would really like to see Joba get another shot at the starting rotation, especially at a time like this where no spot is really guaranteed in the rotation other than Sabathia.

| .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

vCash
    Does not hurt anything to give him a chance to earn it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I would really like to see Joba get another shot at the starting rotation, especially at a time like this where no spot is really guaranteed in the rotation other than Sabathia.
    I agree, I'd like to see Joba in the rotation
    Thanks Donnie Baseball, B dAwK 20, and Poncho_707!!!

vCash
    Been saying this since before he got hurt, but wat do I know.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    He won't get another shot I don't think. We don't need him as a starter with CC, Hughes, noesi, banuelos, bettances, phelps
    What are the chances that outside of CC a number of those guys get hurt, traded, or doesn't pan out in the next 3-4 yrs
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast