Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wonder if they put Franson in on Saturday. He doesn't seem to happy to be the 7th man.

vCash
    I really thought defensively it was night and day in terms of transition responsiblity by our forwards. Frattin, Lombardi and Kulemin were all exceptional at this.

Frattin looks like he is going to be a good 3rd liner imo, I dont think he has the offensive skillset for a top 2 line.

Reimer was unbelievable. Schenn and Liles and Gunnarson werent specialtonight but Komi and Phaneuf were very very good.

Grabo and Lombardi were our best two forwards with Kessel and Kuelmein coming in at a close 3rd.

Bozak and Lupul were useless for most parts.

vCash
    great game..I wonder how the chemistry will be when tim and mac are back in the lineup

vCash
    Quick McJoe recap...you know...since I was there

Kessel - completely one dimensional, possibly more one dimensional than normal. But he's a threat every time he's on the ice, probably his best attribute. Could really have played with anybody and been equally as effective. You could have put him with me and Lavy and he would have had the same game, no joke. He's useless in his own end and does it on his own in the offensive end anyway.

Grabovski/Kulemin - The 2 best players on the team. Easily. Grabo is a threat every time he's on the ice and Kulemin seems to always been in the right spot. 2 crossbars for Kulemin I think.

Frattin - not a superstar but you can tell that he's a guy who's going to get the job done. He might not end up as a top 6 forward long term, but he is an NHL player. Looks worst case responsible 3rd line winger in the 15-20 goal range.

Bozak - did a lot of little things right that probably wouldn't have looked good on TV. Set up the Phaneuf goal by getting absolutely leveled by a blindside interference play. Had a solid game.

Lupul - he's meh. Not a great skater, slow release. The more I see him, the harder I find it to believe that he scored 28 and 25 goals. He works hard and he's pretty big so he's a decent piece to play with Kessel.

Steckel - they said he lost a draw in the first but I didn't see it. I haven't looked yet but if he lost more than 4 faceoffs, I'd be shocked.

Lombardi - he's ready, he needs more minutes. He wasn't a star out there even though he scored and got the 3rd star but he had a real solid game. Looked a little off but considering he has played 1 preseason game and now 1 regular season game since last October, I think he's okay.

Phaneuf - best player on the ice, should have been the first star, regardless of Reimer's goose egg.

Liles - new appreciation for this guy. Kind of like Kaberle but North American and not quite as good.

Komisarek - actually played a decent game...wasn't terrible.

Gardiner - didn't stand out. Not sure how many minutes he played. Not standing out is sometimes a good thing though.

Reimer - gonna sound pessimistic and strange saying he wasn't really tested even though he made 32 saves but he wasn't really tested. Good game but not a great game. Not as good as Carey Price at the other end IMO.

Gustavsson - wore that hat like a champ.

Wilson - best coaching I've seen done by a Leaf coach since Pat Quinn was here, maybe Burns. Used all of his players in the right way and to his advantage, especially Steckel who probably had twice as many shifts as he had minutes. Steckel may have taken every draw in the 3rd.

Faceoffs - Possibly just Steckel but the Leafs didn't lose many faceoffs tonight. I'll look at the stats after this but I don't think they lost very many. Steckel and Lombardi bring an element that just wasn't there last year with Brent, Boyce, and Mitchell who are all mediocre at best on the draw. The draws that they lost, were scrumed for the most part.

Power Play - still the worst PP in the NHL. They didn't even get it into the zone on one of them and they had a 5 on 3 for like a minute and a half and wasted the first 40 seconds trying to get the puck deep.

Penalty Kill - immensely improved, possibly just by winning faceoffs that Brent, Boyce, and Grabo didn't win.

Price - gotta give the guy love. He stood on his head. We didn't really give him any constant pressure and the 2 goals, he wouldn't have stopped in a million years. Lombardi scored on like the 3rd shot from the edge of the crease with 2 Canadiens on top of Price and that shot by Phaneuf was just a bomb and he had all day to step into it. He absolutely robbed Armstrong on a 2 on 1, robbed Lupul twice in the crease, robbed Grabo on a partial breakaway, and made 3 or 4 more highlight reel saves. He made 16 saves on 18 shots but I bet 8 of them would make a highlight reel. He was fantastic. Deserved a better fate. But I don't feel bad at all that he lost lol.

vCash
    Intrepid reporter McJoe

I eat pieces of waffle like you for breakfast

vCash
    For sportscentre, he's John Lu...Errr... Mcjoe

vCash
    Just checked my fantasy team and realized Erik Cole is on the Habs and played tonight...could have fooled me...

vCash
    I played Reimer, Phaneuf and Kessel.

Cha Ching! 22.4 points already.

vCash
    komisarek impressed me tonight, and riemers riemer another spectacular game from him , phaneuf maybe one of his better games as a leaf.

RaptorsMaple LeafssVikingsssBlue JayssInterTFC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    I played Reimer, Phaneuf and Kessel.

Cha Ching! 22.4 points already.
    I have a keeper team that has a strict 30 player team. I had Lombardi, Phaneuf, Brown, Grabovski, and Kulemin in the lineup tonight from the Leafs and Cole(who I'm going to cut), Pacioretty, and then I started James Reimer over Carey Price as those guys are 2 of my 3 goalies, the other being Pavelec.

Got myself a win, a shutout, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 S%, 2 goals, 2 assists, GWG, 3 SH points, 13 shots, 15 faceoffs, 8 hits, 5 blocked shots.

Its early of course, but I'm up 15-1 lol.

vCash
    Kessel really is starting to bug me and hopefully someone comments on that earlier post but watching him tonight, for some reason really made it stand out how much of a one-way player he is...he's fast but not overly fast, he's small, he doesn't bang, he doesn't battle really, he doesn't play defence, he doesn't have great hands, he doesn't have great hand eye coordination to tip or redirect a puck, and he doesn't have very good vision. But he can shoot the puck. I feel like its like having Steve Kerr as your PG and being the only guy touching the ball. He would draw double teams because he can shoot the 3 but he can't pass or dribble. Kessel draws double teams and all the attention which allows other people to score goals but he's far from a complete hockey player, he's just a shooter.

And I've thought this for a while but never really said it, but I'm not sure adding a #1 center would really help him at all other than take some attention away from him. He scores like 90% of his goals coming in on the wing and shooting it and he scores the other 10% sneaking in from the point and burying a rebound or a loose puck.

Not to be negative after a big win and Kessel is still a great player, he's just frustratingly one dimensional. He's definitely not our most complete player and I'm not sure I'd take him first if you told me to rank our players, heck I'm not sure I'd take him 3rd...

vCash
    ^ that's always been the scouting report on him, nothing new. Still a nice piece to have IMO. A #1 center would clearly help him, especially given his shooting skills. For what he's getting paid, an instant offensive spark that puts up 40 goals is exactly what you hope for. We all know he's not stamkos or Crosby, he's Kessel and I'm glad we have him on our team. He kind of reminds me of Blake durring his breakout 40 goal season with the islanders, except Kessel has proven he can do it consistently year in year out and is still very young with time to evolve.
    Last edited by ChongInc.; 10-07-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Kessel really is starting to bug me and hopefully someone comments on that earlier post but watching him tonight, for some reason really made it stand out how much of a one-way player he is...he's fast but not overly fast, he's small, he doesn't bang, he doesn't battle really, he doesn't play defence, he doesn't have great hands, he doesn't have great hand eye coordination to tip or redirect a puck, and he doesn't have very good vision. But he can shoot the puck. I feel like its like having Steve Kerr as your PG and being the only guy touching the ball. He would draw double teams because he can shoot the 3 but he can't pass or dribble. Kessel draws double teams and all the attention which allows other people to score goals but he's far from a complete hockey player, he's just a shooter.

And I've thought this for a while but never really said it, but I'm not sure adding a #1 center would really help him at all other than take some attention away from him. He scores like 90% of his goals coming in on the wing and shooting it and he scores the other 10% sneaking in from the point and burying a rebound or a loose puck.

Not to be negative after a big win and Kessel is still a great player, he's just frustratingly one dimensional. He's definitely not our most complete player and I'm not sure I'd take him first if you told me to rank our players, heck I'm not sure I'd take him 3rd...
    He's a lot like Semin except Semin is probably better. Just the way it is. 40+ goals and I'll forget many of Phils weaknesses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-50 View Post
    Reimer leads the league in wins, sv%, GAA and shutots
    Hahahha... Good line!:)

vCash
    As soon as PK through that attempted hit on him in the 1st you could tell Kesel thought twice every time he carried the puck. He lost any confidence he had right there when he was almost layed out.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast