Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    1)
    2) Yes that is how WAR works. In the end, WAR attempts to determine how many wins a single player brings to their team over average replacement player. Perfect? Again, no, but it's a fantastic quick metric and I really didn't feel like spending 4 hours showing how silly of a comment you made. You can add 3 players up and get their cumulative WAR.
    You are correct that you can add WAR up. The point is that you're comparing multiple players to one. If Detroit had keep Granderson, they would have used other players in the places of Schlereth, Scherzer, and Coke. So really, it's comparing the value of Granderson + 3 unknown players to the value of Jackson, Coke, Scherzer, & Schlereth. Which of those is better for Detroit.

vCash
    IMO this trade worked out well for all parties. They are all in the post season, and you never know who could win it all. At least they all have a chance, unlike my sox who choked something fierce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole.World.9.27 View Post
    Brady is not a difference-maker or a playmaker. He's a product of the system who happens to play the QB position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    You are correct that you can add WAR up. The point is that you're comparing multiple players to one. If Detroit had keep Granderson, they would have used other players in the places of Schlereth, Scherzer, and Coke. So really, it's comparing the value of Granderson + 3 unknown players to the value of Jackson, Coke, Scherzer, & Schlereth. Which of those is better for Detroit.
    Not really the point I'm making. The point I am making has been: Granderson and Edwin Jackson, the two players the Tigers moved that offseason were worth almost exactly, what they recieved in terms of Jackson, Schlereth, Coke, and Scherzer, coupled with the salary relief they gained, and the trade has worked out fine for Detroit. The original statement was as followed "The Tigers easily lost that trade". No. They did not. The only way they "easily lost that trade" is if people view Granderson as a 7 win player. Which he is not.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario View Post
    :cry:
    He calls you out for baiting and you take the route of more baiting, interesting strategy cotton, let's see if it pays off for him.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    I see a lot fo you gusy counting Hudson as part of the trade for AZ. I don't agree w/ that. I could see it if they dealt him right away, but they held onto him for a half season. That trade w/ CHI is totally separate from this IMO.

NY gets: Granderson (Give up: Kennedy, Coke, Jackson)
    AZ gets: Edwin Jackson, Ian Kennedy (Give up: Shlereth, Sherzer)
    DET gets: Max Sherzer, Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, Daniel Shlereth (Give up Granderson, Jackson)

I think that is the trade we need to evaluate. AZ really helped themselves by getting Hudson, but again, that was over 6 months after this trade. That wasn't at all a factor in their decision making for this trade. They thought they were getting a great pitcher in Jackson based off of a fluke season in DET.

I think we need to see 2 things before we can for sure say who won... 1.) How does Granderson hold up vs lefties? He had a 902 OPS vs righties this year, which is right in line w/ his career norms. Him mashing vs lefties is what let him make the jump from good player to elite player. I need to see more of that before I crown him. 2.) Ian Kennedy is pitching way better than he was ever projected to. I want to see some more before I say that this is what he really is - an ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

6. 10-02-2011, 01:46 PM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Well, D-Backs still suck so I say they lose.
    And how do they suck?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    No "nuff said"

The playoffs is 99% luck, so if the Tigers win, good for them, I'm rooting for them, but it doesn't mean they won the trade, the Yankees won it, no matter what the outcome of this is.
    Guys, it has only been two years since this trade was completed. There is no ultimate winner yet, it won't be determined for probably another 5 years or so. At this point, I think it has worked out well for all the teams, but that is bound to change. What if Granderson has a career ending injury in today's game? What if Max Scherzer needs tommy john surgery and never becomes the same pitcher he was?

Bottom line is, there is NO CLEAR WINNER IN A TRADE, UNTIL ENOUGH TIME HAS PASSED TO DETERMINE SO. Sort of like, there is no clear division winner until 162 games have been played (cough, red sox, cough)

And just to play devils advocate, I bet you anything the Yankees would be a much stronger team with Jackson and Kennedy right now, than with just granderson. They already have an elite offense, and if you haven't noticed, the Yankees rotation is not good. If you haven't tuned in yet, they threw Freddy Garcia on the mound today. Yes, Freddy Garcia. So I'm pretty sure Jackson + Kennedy> Granderson for a team with questionable pitching options. Because you still have jeter, cano, tex, arod, swisher, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123