Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Francona out as Red Sox Manager (Official Post #85)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...red-sox-092911

Terry Francona will meet with Red Sox management on Friday morning, and the expected resolution is that he no longer will be the team’s manager, major league sources say.

While Francona’s departure is not certain, it is the likely outcome, in part because he is pressing for a resolution, sources say.
    He would not be fired; the Red Sox would simply decline their club options on him for 2012 and ’13.

At that point, Francona would be free to pursue long-term contracts with other clubs. The White Sox’s position currently is open, and Francona managed five seasons in their minor-league system in the early 1990s.

The Cubs could be another possibility for Francona once they hire a new general manager and proceed with the expected dismissal of manager Mike Quade. Francona played for the Cubs in 1986.

Or Francona — after eight years under intense scrutiny in Boston — could decide not to manage at all in 2012.

Francona, 52, led the Red Sox to World Series titles in 2004 and ‘07 — the franchise’s first two championships since 1918 — and took the team to the playoffs five times.

His departure would come in the wake of the Red Sox blowing a nine-game game lead in the American League wild-card race, the biggest ever held by a team in September that failed to make the playoffs.

Francona and general manager Theo Epstein met in Boston with reporters on Thursday, one day after the Red Sox were eliminated by a stunning turn of events — a walk-off loss to the Orioles and the Rays’ walk-off victory over the Yankees.

Epstein said that club officials already had been meeting to discuss how the team crumbled, and that, “nobody blames what happened in September on Tito.”

"That would be totally irresponsible and shortsighted,” Epstein said. “As an organization we have to look at our successes and failures, and what happened in 2011 — we take full responsibility for it. All of us collectively look at it as a failure. I'm the general manager, so I take more responsibility than anybody.

“But I know we don't believe in scapegoats, particularly blaming Tito for what happened in September. We all failed collectively. We're all together in this; we've got to live with that. We're not pointing fingers at any one person in particular.”

Epstein, however, may not have the final say. Ownership could conclude that Francona, after eight seasons of leading the Red Sox, has simply run his course as manager.

Francona managed the Phillies from 1997 to 2000. He was a special assistant to the GM with the Indians in 2001, then the bench coach for the Rangers in 2002 and Athletics in ‘03 before taking over the Red Sox in ’04.
    -per Rosenthal
    Last edited by dodgersuck; 09-30-2011 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    Come back home Tito

vCash
    wow

vCash
    I would be shocked if this happened.

vCash
    Stupid move.

vCash
    Of course it's the managers fault. He's the one playing the game and constructing the roster...oh wait. I guess Francona will get fired because Epstein does not have the fortitude to admit he is wasting about 1/3 of the red sox payroll on dead money and sunk costs with no benefits.

vCash
    If he is out, i could see him going to the white sox.

vCash
    I wouldn't be shocked by this. I sort of assumed it was going to happen.

While it doesn't necessarily mean anything, missing the playoffs like this and collapsing at the end certainly should put him on the hot seat (Freddi Gonzalez as well, but it's also still his first year).

They have missed the playoffs two years in a row, when the expectation is WS or nothing. I don't think Francona is at fault here (in fact, I think he is overall a pretty good manager and it would be a mistake to let him go), I understand that the expectation is playoffs at least, division preferred. And Sox fans feel like he let them down, even though I don't think he did.

I wouldn't fire him, but I am betting he will be.

vCash
    If it happens, it's a terrible, irrational move. Who the hell is out there that is better? If Francona hits the market, I sure hope the Giants ask about him!!

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Only one person doesn't understand the ignore list. Predictable and cowardly

vCash
    its going to be a battle between the w sox and the cubs

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    He's NOT being fired, Francona is the one that is asking that the Sox don't pick up his option years. Big difference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked by this. I sort of assumed it was going to happen.

While it doesn't necessarily mean anything, missing the playoffs like this and collapsing at the end certainly should put him on the hot seat (Freddi Gonzalez as well, but it's also still his first year).

They have missed the playoffs two years in a row, when the expectation is WS or nothing. I don't think Francona is at fault here (in fact, I think he is overall a pretty good manager and it would be a mistake to let him go), I understand that the expectation is playoffs at least, division preferred. And Sox fans feel like he let them down, even though I don't think he did.

I wouldn't fire him, but I am betting he will be.
    he's not being fired he is quiting an article said he had his fill of being the sox manager

PAPI SMASH!

vCash

vCash
    i don't blame Francona for wanting to leave.... the team was depressing to be around. Just watching the yankees play the red sox.... id look at their dugout and it made me depressed.

Huge thanks to Elements!!

Thanks for nothing "jej" for stealing my Montero sig

vCash
    I like Jim Tracy, but I'd love for Francona to come to Colorado. A man can dream.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast