Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Will Scheifele Make The Team?

Easy question, does the Scheif make the Jets?

3 goals and 3 assists for 6 points in 3 games. He's certainly made an impact. Has he done enough to make the team? In a top 6 role?

vCash
    I'm not sure if he's cracked a spot yet. At this point, I'd lean towards yes. He'll start the first nine games of the regular season, and then the management will make their decision. Personally I think he ends up making this team and sticks around. He could see some serious time in the middle too if you like at the depth chart in Winnipeg. This kid has a nack for getting in the right place at the right time. From what I've said, he sees the ice well, and can burry his chances.

vCash
    Its interesting to note the center depth on the Jets because according to their depth chart, Little and Antropov are the top 2 centers on the Jets and both are more naturally wingers. Both played wing early in their career and in junior. Burmistrov has been bad in the preseason with no points and a -3 in 3 games. Fehr could easily be bumped down to the 3rd line to allow one of Little or Antropov to play wing and the Scheif to play center.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
    Kane - Scheif - Antropov

??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Its interesting to note the center depth on the Jets because according to their depth chart, Little and Antropov are the top 2 centers on the Jets and both are more naturally wingers. Both played wing early in their career and in junior. Burmistrov has been bad in the preseason with no points and a -3 in 3 games. Fehr could easily be bumped down to the 3rd line to allow one of Little or Antropov to play wing and the Scheif to play center.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
    Kane - Scheif - Antropov

??
    I noted that exact thing in another thread. Antropov and Little are natural wingers. Burmistrov while looking good at times last season is NOT a top six forward at this point. He cannot be rushed.

Likes look solid. They really do have some size on both lines. Wheeler, Ladd, and Antropov aren't exactly little guys. Also, I'm expecting 60+ points out of Evander Kane.

vCash
    ^^Scheif is 6'3" too. And he would be the smallest of those 4 guys.

Scheifele - 6'3", 175 (looks heavier than that but thats his listed weight)
    Ladd - 6'3", 205
    Wheeler - 6'5", 208
    Antropov - 6'6", 245

And Kane is no slouch either at 6'2", 195. They are a big team and other than Antropov, a quick and big team.

vCash
    ^^Scheif is 6'3" too. And he would be the smallest of those 4 guys.

Scheifele - 6'3", 175 (looks heavier than that but thats his listed weight)
    Ladd - 6'3", 205
    Wheeler - 6'5", 208
    Antropov - 6'6", 245

And Kane is no slouch either at 6'2", 195. They are a big team and other than Antropov, a quick and big team.
    Ah, I was thinking he was a bit smaller than that. They really have a pretty big team up front.

Do you think Scheifele makes this team? I'm going to be honest and say I thought they reached on him a bit but thus far, he's been awesome, and is already a fan favourite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Ah, I was thinking he was a bit smaller than that. They really have a pretty big team up front.

Do you think Scheifele makes this team? I'm going to be honest and say I thought they reached on him a bit but thus far, he's been awesome, and is already a fan favourite.
    I'll be the first one to say that I thought it was easily the worst pick of the draft but I'll also be the first to say that I was wrong if he proves me wrong. He's been awesome in the preseason for sure though.

vCash

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
    Kane - Scheif - Antropov

??
    I've been to the games in Winnipeg and Burmistrov isn't playing as bad as his stats suggest... besides scheifele, postma, and kane burmistrov has been one of the more noticable players on the ice. Because he has had 0 points thus far its not like he hasn't had any chances. Sooner or later he'll burry one and the flood gates will open! The preseason home opener, besides scheif, postma and buff, burmistrov was one the most noticable player on the ice. Give him a chance and don't give up on his yet... I see him turning himself into a top 6 forward and taking the place of Antropov on that 2nd line.

Watching Gregoire on the line with Kane and Scheif last game vs Canes, I found that line had some chemistry with one another. I may be biased because I grew up with Gregoire, friends with him and have seen him play at all levels, but if he makes the team (probably start in AHL) but you don't have to be the bestest of players to be a top 6 forward... You just need to have good chemistry with your line and it can be most productive lines!! As for example look at the Maple Leafs.. You can't tell me Kulimen and MacArthur are both top 6 forwards but because the 2 of them have unbelievable chemistry with grabovsky, that line has been one the best lines in the NHL.. they just find ways to gett'r done!! I can see that happening with Kane, Scheifele and Gregoire or even throw Burmistrov with Scheifele and Kane and that could also be another good producing line!

I would love to see Scheifele make the team but the smart thing to do would have him play the first 9 games (assuming they sign him still gotta do that by Tuesday) then send him back to Hawerchuk as you don't want to take a chance at rushing him. Would also like Postma to make the team. He's been one of our best defencemen out there. Would also LOVE to see Gregoire make the team so I can cheer on a good buddy while attending the home games!!

vCash
    I have to agree with most. Scheifele definitly warrants the 9 game look to start the season. He's tops in preseason scoring or close to it. And albeit the preseason, the kid was just drafted last June. So that has to mean something. Not to mention you have to look at how he's progressed. At the start of last year he was a 3rd round pick maybe. But he rocketed up the charts and went in the top 10. The only other player to up his projection that much was probably Zibinajad (spelling?) from Ottawa. Sheif is showing alot of upside.

vCash
    If he sticks with the team then its a major fail for the organization. He needs to go back to junior. He hasn't "dominated" in junior yet and if he stuck with the club he'd be getting 4th line type of minutes.

vCash
    He deserves to stay with the club for the first 9, but send him back down to juniors after that.

Straight Flash Homey

vCash
    If he shows he belongs in the first 9 games then keep him for the year we really dont have anything to lose and he has a nose for the net and we will need goals!

vCash
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...130959228.html

Scheifele is close to a contract, and one should be expected today IMO. It looks like Mark will be up for at least nine games, and I fully expect him to stay up all year. He'll get some nice minutes too due to the lack of depth in the middle. Could hit 55 pointsish this season. Him and Evander Kane were pretty good together. They'll probably start the season out on that second line.

vCash
    Jets agree to terms with Mark Scheifele
    Monday, 03.10.2011 / 10:05 AM / News Articles
    Winnipeg Jets
    The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms on an entry-level contract with centre Mark Scheifele. As per club policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
    Taken by the Jets with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Scheifele, 18, led all Winnipeg Jets in scoring with eight points (4g, 4a) in five NHL exhibition games. He also collected three powerplay goals in the preseason. Last season, Scheifele played his OHL rookie year with the Barrie Colts where he led all rookies with 53 assists. The Kitchener, ON native also added 22 goals for 75 points in 66 games played.
    After the junior season, Scheifele also competed at the Under-18 World Championships where he led all Team Canada scorers with six goals in seven tournament games. Scheifele was invited and took part in Hockey Canada’s National Junior Team Development Camp in August. He was one of 46 players invited to the camp that took place in Edmonton and Fort McMurray, AB.

NHLJets twitter

Straight Flash Homey