This week two Sharks prospects are battling it out in Edmonton for a spot on Team Canada’s 2012 World Jr. team. They are Michael Sgarbossa and Freddie Hamilton and together are looking forward to being teammates in the fall and down the road in the NHL.

“It’s good right now, it’s a lot of fun,” Sgarbossa said of the early happenings at the camp.

Hockey players traditionally don’t skate much in the offseason and the junior hopefuls are going full steam with great expectations.

“It’s definitely intense and the tempo is really high here,” Sgarbossa said. “For being a summer camp, it’s more than anything a lot of the guys have already done with their summer programs.”

The talent level is high considering 47 of Canada’s best are pitted against each other, but Sgarbossa views that as a positive instead of a negative.

“There are a lot of skilled guys here and it’s actually a lot of fun because everybody tries to push each other,” Sgarbossa said.

With talent popping up all over the ice, it might be a matter of will over skill to determine who claims the final spots this winter.

“The skill level is about the same, so it’s pretty much whoever is going to work harder is going to succeed,” said the Sharks free agent signee.

Sgarbossa has some degree of familiarity with the 47 players at camp.

“There are a lot of guys from the OHL here. When I played in the under 18’s I got to know a lot of the guys here and became friends with most of them,” Sgarbossa noted. “It’s good to see them again because I don’t get to really talk to them during the year. When I get to see them here, I try to make the most of it.”

Fellow Sharks prospect Hamilton might be the most familiar face.

“I’ve known Freddie for while now, about three or four years,” Sgarbossa said. “He’s actually on my team. They’ve split us up into red and white teams and it’s good to see him and he’s doing well too.”

For teenagers across Canada, this is the ultimate goal before moving to the NHL.
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=585813

It's good to see young prospects in the Sharks' system making progress in their early careers. Hopefully this continues and we see them at some point in the near future.