Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

MWC and CUSA look to form a super duper conference

Don't you dare try to copyright the latest (possible} conference on the horizon.

I'm calling it the Big Country.

CBSSports.com has learned that merger talks have heated up again between the Mountain West and Conference USA on a possible 22-to-24-team combination that would span the country and result in an automatic BCS bowl berth for the winner of the amalgamation.

As CBSSports.com initially reported, officials from each conference first discussed the arrangement last year. Each league would produce individual champions who would then play off in a championship game for the BCS berth. Officials from each conference have met recently on the subject CBSSports.com also learned.

There are complications. The Mountain West is still waiting to learn if it will receive temporary BCS status in 2012 and 2013 as a result of meeting a series of benchmarks over a four-year period that concludes after this season. Aside from that, with conference realignment in full swing, college athletics' first super, duper conference just might work. Assuming the remains of the Big East and Big 12 merge, there will be one less automatic BCS berth. The Big Country snatch that up, spanning from the Carolinas, Florida and Mississippi to Texas and the West Coast and Hawaii.

There were no details on how the champions in the individual conferences would be decided. Conference USA is a 12-team league, that is decided by a championship game between the two division winners. The Mountain West is currently an eight-team league that will be 10 teams in 2012. It is losing TCU to the Big East next year and getting Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno from the WAC. It's not clear if the conference would or could expand further to 12 teams.

"It would strengthen our league and give us more television sets," said an administrator from the possible Big Country. "I think it's a big picture thing for us."

Using the current configuration, think of a Boise State-Central Florida Big Country champ game for a berth in, say, Orange or Fiesta Bowl. Not sure how the Orange or Fiesta feel about that. That's another blog for another time.
    http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.c...70202/32117287

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

vCash
    Well the Big 10, ACC and SEC also aren't finished adding teams to their own super conferences. But it looks like you could have the following teams in a 24-team conference.

TCU
    Boise State
    Air Force
    Hawaii
    SMU
    Houston
    Marshall
    UCF
    Southern Miss
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    Baylor
    Missouri
    Connecticut
    Rutgers
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    West Virginia
    South Florida
    East Carolina
    Tulane
    Tulsa
    UTEP

Although I'm expecting Missouri, West Virginia, Rutgers and Connecticut to end up in another conference.

Marcus Mariota

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    vCash
    Ewww

vCash
    They could always add the MAC and make it a 36-team conference MEGACRAZY Conference....

Marcus Mariota

vCash
    Some of you may be too young to remember how the MWC came into existence in the first place. The WAC was a 16 team conference at one time and it split up into the currrent WAC and the MWC. Travel costs were an issue for many of the schools and was the driving force behind the split.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Some of you may be too young to remember how the MWC came into existence in the first place. The WAC was a 16 team conference at one time and it split up into the currrent WAC and the MWC. Travel costs were an issue for many of the schools and was the driving force behind the split.
    exactly. This is why i don't think super conferences in terms of 16 and above will work. Granted you are dealing with more high profile teams, but NO ONE WAS HAPPY BACK IN THE OlD WAC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    exactly. This is why i don't think super conferences in terms of 16 and above will work. Granted you are dealing with more high profile teams, but NO ONE WAS HAPPY BACK IN THE OlD WAC
    Being a fan of Boise State, I don't believe this is the best option, BUT if it gets us a better TV deal, more bowl options, and a full paying BCS payout, I'd be for it. It also might allow us to get some better scheduling, which is also a plus. The new MWC schedule has our fan base very excited as we will have a new slate of teams coming in, (all prior TCU games have been on the road and we have never played an academy team), but continuing to get some decent home games is very important to sustain enthusiasm.