Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Malkin out, could this be a good thing??

okay. so by the title of my thread you probably all think im crazy, and that i have no idea what im talking about. although both may be true, im gonna try and make you think about this.

obviously when one of our superstars goes out for a period of time, the other steps his game up drastically. when geno went down, sid went nuts. and vice versa. not that sidney isnt playing at a high level already, because he is, but perhaps this will make the entire team step their game up? maybe sidney will go on a massive tear?

also, people are saying that the reason geno isnt producing, besides the power play, is because he is tired. the guy did spend some time in the khl performing at a high level before coming back. i realize other skaters in the league did the same and are playing well. if u ask me, geno is playing well. he's not the geno of old, but his pucks are gonna find the back of the net.

this will also make us keep jeffrey, who i think is underused in our system. he skates well, hes quick, and he puts the puck on the net. this also makes us go look for a scoring winger even more. without geno's offensive production, we are gonna need someone who will contribute. jeffrey wont be in the deal, but we have a few D prospects to spare. (despres, bortuzzo)

so anyways, i realize some of you wont agree with me, but lets break it down quickly how this time off for geno may be a blessing.

1-sidney will play out of this world
    2- rest for evgeni
    3- jeffrey sticks with the team?
    4- even more pressed to get a scoring winger

what do you guys think? malkin is by far my favorite player, which you can tell from my sig (compliments of jzelenda) i dont like to see anyone go down, especially my favorite player and a key player to our teams success. i guess im just trying to be positive. i hope hes not our for an extended period of time. the lockout made it hard on every team with injuries. a few games could mean an entire season this year. LETS GO PENS.

vCash
    I can certainly see where you're coming from and recent history would support your claim that the other superstar tends to elevate their game a bit but I'm going to have to disagree.

Losing the reigning scoring leader is always going to hurt, no matter how you spin it. This team is built on depth down the middle and we now lose one of the best centers in the world. Add to that the fact that the PP was on fire and it hurts even more.

Obviously this should give Jeffrey more time to try and prove himself, as well as present the opportunity for other guys to step up but I just can't think of enough reasons to try and put an argument together for why this could help us.

Even with all of that, I think we will still be fine (assuming he misses the "normal" amount of concussion time). We have enough depth to weather the storm and the team is still playing at a high level.

One more thing though, and this is directed at you J13, do you think we should trade Malkin? You've made an argument as to why this could be a good thing so I was wondering if you think we should trade Malkin (or Sid I suppose) and try to get some quality players back in return

vCash
    Good point. And I can agree too. To be honest I'm just trying to not have a mental breakdown. After Crosby's concussion saga, it made me nervous seeing any injuries. Especially concussions.

As for the trade. I honestly think that trading either player would be the worst move ever. Yes. I said ever. These two define the penguins. Its not sidney who defines them. Although he is the best in the world, as well as our captain, I can't see this team without Malkin. Injury putting out a player for an extended period of time is hard enough to deal with. Seeing Malkin lead another team, like Toronto, Montreal, or any other team for that matter to win Lord Stanley would bring me to tears. Keeping these two together basically screws every other team from trying to scheme up a game plan against us.

vCash
    Malkin is suffering from a concussion. Will not travel with the team on there 3 game road trip. He is suffering from memory loss but no disorientation or headaches.
    Last edited by t2a2e9j12; 02-25-2013 at 03:55 AM.

vCash
    As long as its not a severe concudsion and hes only out a few weeks we will be fine. That said I love heno and dont want him missing anytime.