Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: First draft

First draft

Did my first ever fantasy baseball draft the other night (always done basketball and football) - 12 team standard roto Yahoo league. I had the 11th pick. Thoughts?

C - Carlos Santana
    1B - Freddie Freeman
    2B - Ben Zobrist
    3B - Aramis Ramirez
    SS - JJ Hardy
    OF - Justin Upton
    OF - Jacoby Ellsbury
    OF - Brett Gardner
    UTIL - Jeff Francoeur
    UTIL - Mike Moustakas

SP - Cole Hamels
    SP - Jon Lester
    RP - Sergio Santos
    RP - Neftali Feliz (as long as he holds eligibility)
    P - James Shields
    P - Ricky Romero
    P - Edwin Jackson
    P - Vinnie Pestano

BN - Edwin Encarnacion
    BN - Colby Rasmus
    BN - Rafael Furcal
    BN - Adam Dunn
    BN - Addison Reed

I don't really like the makeup of your team. The first thing that sticks out is that Sergio Santos is your only closer, which already cost you from competing in saves altogether. You should try to score a minimum of 8 out of 12 in every category.

Your starters are kinda weak. I mean, some reasonably decent name players, but picking guys out of the AL East to be the core of your pitching can end up hurting you. I tend to try to only take sleeper picks (or CC Sabathia) if I'm picking a SP from the AL East. Even David Price only got like 12 wins last year as the ace of a playoff team coming out of that division.

Your offense looks a little better, but no big contributors outside of your first couple of outfielders.

There's potential there, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about those selections currently. Remember to make good use of free agency. In yahoo public leagues, it's easy to turn most any team into a contender through vigilant free agent pickups throughout a full season. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I don't really like the makeup of your team. The first thing that sticks out is that Sergio Santos is your only closer, which already cost you from competing in saves altogether. You should try to score a minimum of 8 out of 12 in every category.
    Yeah, at this point I only have one closer, I think Pestano and Reed will both be closing shortly, though. It's presumptuous, and if they don't start closing, it's a very weak area for me. We'll see what happens.

Your starters are kinda weak. I mean, some reasonably decent name players, but picking guys out of the AL East to be the core of your pitching can end up hurting you. I tend to try to only take sleeper picks (or CC Sabathia) if I'm picking a SP from the AL East. Even David Price only got like 12 wins last year as the ace of a playoff team coming out of that division.
    True. It's difficult for me to fathom wins being so important...shows my experience with evaluating talent and performance but inexperience with fantasy baseball

Your offense looks a little better, but no big contributors outside of your first couple of outfielders.

There's potential there, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about those selections currently. Remember to make good use of free agency. In yahoo public leagues, it's easy to turn most any team into a contender through vigilant free agent pickups throughout a full season. Good luck!
    Yes, public leagues are real easy. I have Adam Dunn having a huge rebound year. I think my team is strong in HRs and SBs. Probably RBIs as well (although that's a bit unpredictable...). I think Freeman and Moustakas will have big years as well. We'll see.

Not a bad team at all however your power is suspect. Upton and Ellsbury are great back to back picks although I don't think Ellsbury comes close to matching those HR totals this year.

Closers are extremely overrated and honestly Addison Reed will prob. end up being the White Sox closer so having at least 2 right now to go with one that you can ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get off waivers you are good to go.

I love watching people overrate closers. Unless he offers you high K totals they are practically all similar as well as very replaceable in fantasy.

Aside from previously mentioned the whole AL east factor is kinda BS. Those guys don't solely face the AL east and aside from that they still put up great fantasy numbers. Lester and Sheilds both don't miss a beat due to the league they are in.

Really it is not a bad draft for your first time. For a 12 team league you should do pretty decent and allot depends on how good you are at waiver wire pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Not a bad team at all however your power is suspect. Upton and Ellsbury are great back to back picks although I don't think Ellsbury comes close to matching those HR totals this year.

Closers are extremely overrated and honestly Addison Reed will prob. end up being the White Sox closer so having at least 2 right now to go with one that you can ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get off waivers you are good to go.

I love watching people overrate closers. Unless he offers you high K totals they are practically all similar as well as very replaceable in fantasy.

Aside from previously mentioned the whole AL east factor is kinda BS. Those guys don't solely face the AL east and aside from that they still put up great fantasy numbers. Lester and Sheilds both don't miss a beat due to the league they are in.

Really it is not a bad draft for your first time. For a 12 team league you should do pretty decent and allot depends on how good you are at waiver wire pick ups.
    Thanks man, appreciate the feedback.

In terms of power, I am really banking on Dunn having a comeback season, Moose breaking out, and Hardy staying healthy. I love the speed on my team, though.

I did think my relief situation was good enough. My strategy was to grab guys battling for a closer position late in the draft, and it worked out well IMO. I expect both Reed and Pestano to be closing in the near future. Huge K numbers from Pestano and Santos are pretty near guaranteed.