Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Age/Prime/Decline

Not sure if this was posted but I found this to be an interesting read.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/02/10/aging-with-chart/

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I find this flawed. The chart gives the number of 6+ WAR seasons by players at age each age, and then he uses it to argue why players like anyone expecting Chone Figgins or Manny to be effective players is an idiot. No one is expecting these guys to be 6 WAR players. I mean, he is probably right- especially about Figgins- but not because this little graph he made said so. With the numbers he used on this chart, it mathematically gives the impression that anything under a 6.0 WAR is irrelevant.

I think a more effective way to do this would be to chart the average WAR pt wOBA or whatever stat you like put up by a player at each age.

vCash
    Also, at the end he sayd:
    But I think it can be useful. What are the chances that Albert Pujols will still be a great player at ages 37, 38, 39, 40? Will Prince Fielder be a great player at 33? How smart is it to sign a player for big money into his mid-to-upper 30s?
    If you want to know the chances, a more effective thing would be to present these as proportions. Obviously there is going to have been a lot less 6.0 WAR seasons by 36 year olds than 28 year olds because there are a lot less 36 year olds in the league. He should be dividing the number of 6.0 WAR season at each age cohort by the total number of players in that age cohort.

vCash
    Right, it's completely flawed because the chart assumes that every player's peak is 6 WAR. It's like he only cares about MVP and HOF candidates. There is nothing wrong with having a 4 WAR peak and Prince Fielder definitely has the capabilities of posting 4 WAR into his 32 year old season. His argument against guys like 'MannyBManny' and Chone Figgins are literally so irrelevant to the article. People aren't paying Manny and Chone to perform like they did in their prime years when they hit 40 years old. They are paying them for what they think they are worth, and that is a minor league contract. They hardly have to be serviceable to give the club an adequate return on that contract. The guy's right, he knows nothing about 'making charts'. You can't just assume that a dropoff after 6 WAR suddenly makes the player useless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    Not sure if this was posted but I found this to be an interesting read.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/02/10/aging-with-chart/
    How interesting? barely interesting, sort-of interesting, or very interesting?

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    These long-term contracts to players in their prime don't really seem like that much of a mystery. Obviously, if you're paying top-dollar for 10 years for a player currently in their prime, you're not expecting them to be a freak of nature and somehow sidestep the aging process. Instead, you're hoping within the first 4-5 years of the contract they make your team a true contender, by helping your team to secure multiple playoff births and a legitimate chance of making the World Series.

People point to the AJ Burnett contract and say what a disaster it is, and no one hates Burnett more than me, but if you look at the life of the contract is it really that awful considering he was an integral part of winning a World Series title for New York in the first year of it? Most people would say yes because they have short memories, but at the time of signing the contract I'm sure that would have been an acceptable goal to those who don't live in a sabrmetric bubble.
    Last edited by mtf; 03-16-2012 at 05:34 PM.

vCash
    I always thought 32 years of age was your last prime year....

vCash
    Not all men are created equal. Comparing players is apples to oranges, some are done by 18, some by 30, some by 40. Some peak early, some peak late.

vCash
    There is still a typical age curve for most pro baseball players, defense declines, power declines, etc all at different rates, but as a whole pro ball players all decline at a specific rate, and you can look for the abnormalities as they occur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DJYankee View Post
    I always thought 32 years of age was your last prime year....
    Can depend on what kind of player you are, or if you are an elite type of player or not.

Speed players tend to decline more quickly, while good discipline players decline more slowly. It just depends. But as a whole, the typical position player peak ages are usually 27-32, with defense declining at about 25 years old (but most players learn positioning well enough, and better routes to make up for it)

vCash
    Article sucks
    New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Can depend on what kind of player you are, or if you are an elite type of player or not.

Speed players tend to decline more quickly, while good discipline players decline more slowly. It just depends. But as a whole, the typical position player peak ages are usually 27-32, with defense declining at about 25 years old (but most players learn positioning well enough, and better routes to make up for it)
    That actually shocks me a little bit

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    That actually shocks me a little bit
    Did me too, but it makes sense.

Most of your defensive abilities are speed, arm, reaction. All of those are skills that peak relatively early. Being a smart player though, positioning well, getting good jumps, reads, etc, all come later. Most players peak defensively at around age 24-26, but they don't usually decline until they are closer to 33-35 though.

If you want to have a defensive back up, you like to have young players.