Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State close to moving to the Pac-12

College Football Talk
    Which should automatically tell you that it’s anything but certain, but what the hell, it’s all going downhill from here, right?

That seems to be the case with the ACC announcing today that it has accepted Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East as its two newest members, creating a 14-team conference. The question now becomes “what’s next?”. We know the SEC is happy with the idea of bringing in Texas A&M as its 13th member for the time being; what, if any, further moves commissioner Mike Slive makes beyond that is uncertain at this point in time.

And then there are the two Board of Regents meetings to be held by Oklahoma and Texas on Monday that could very well authorize university presidents David Boren and William Powers, respectively, to hold all the conference decision-making power. But what will each school decide? All rumors have pointed to the Sooners moving on to the Pac-12 with Oklahoma State — although we should let the record show that’s not publicly set in stone yet — but Texas’ future appears more ambiguous.

Not according to Kirk Bohls of the Austin-American Statesman. Speaking — or, tweeting, I should say — on behalf of Bohls today has been the Statesman‘s Randy Riggs, who tweets “On plane at LAX. My guy @kbohls says it’s almost certain #Longhorns are bound for the PAC-12. Stay tuned.”

Riggs goes on to say “And @kbohls adds that the #Longhorns move West should happen sooner rather than later. Could be a wild week… adds PAC-12 and independence are #Longhorns’ only options.”

Of course, we’re just going to have to wait and see. There are certainly some options that are more likely than others for Texas, but eliminating any at this point (besides a move by UT to the Big East) probably isn’t a wise decision. As we were told yesterday by a high ranking ACC official, “none of us are actually sure/in the know.”

But there is still one question amid the speculation that we do know still exists: is Texas willing to forfeit or compromise some of its power with the Longhorn Network? A move to the Pac-12 could very well force Texas to share its LHN revenue and exposure with other teams. Are the Longhorns prepared to give that up?

If not, and as Bohls states, football independence is a possible route, as is landing with another conference — say, the ACC — who is more willing to accommodate Texas’ wishes. But don’t think for a second that the Longhorns are out in the cold on this one. There may be some truth to the statement that Texas “overplayed its hand“, but it seems unfathomable that if Texas came calling that a conference commissioner wouldn’t pick up the phone and listen.

Hopefully, we’ll get a better idea as to what Texas and Oklahoma will be doing sometime this week. Until then, this continues to be a fluid situation.
    Last edited by BradyIsTheMan12; 09-18-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

On a different site it is being reported that Texas will keep the LHN, and the conference will move to a Pod system. The LHN will probably be tweaked somewhat, but not as much as I expected. The Pod system will have groups of 4 (probably geographically decided upon), and those teams play each other each season, and they play two teams from each of the other pods each season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    On a different site it is being reported that Texas will keep the LHN, and the conference will move to a Pod system. The LHN will probably be tweaked somewhat, but not as much as I expected. The Pod system will have groups of 4 (probably geographically decided upon), and those teams play each other each season, and they play two teams from each of the other pods each season as well.
    So does this pod system mean there would be 2 rounds of playoff for a conference title?

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    So does this pod system mean there would be 2 rounds of playoff for a conference title?
    Best overall record, so technically two teams from the same pod could play in the conference title I think. Would have preferred Pac-8 division versus Arizona school and newcomers.

What happens when you have teams from each pod with the same record?

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    What happens when you have teams from each pod with the same record?
    I'm guessing they let the BCS ranking sort it out if it's a 3-way tie with no one team holding the head-to-head advantage.

Nice knowin' ya Big 12.

I wonder what happens to the rest of the conference. It's gonna be funny to see a basketball power like Kansas have to go to some small conference because nobody wants their football program dragging them down.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Nice knowin' ya Big 12.

I wonder what happens to the rest of the conference. It's gonna be funny to see a basketball power like Kansas have to go to some small conference because nobody wants their football program dragging them down.
    Kansas might get a Big East invite, who knows? Bigger question is what does the BCS do about the Big East and Big 12 holding BCS slots when they have no teams worthy of such status?

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Kansas might get a Big East invite, who knows? Bigger question is what does the BCS do about the Big East and Big 12 holding BCS slots when they have no teams worthy of such status?
    I don't know about that yet. I really think the Big East is heading for a major fall. I just saw a report saying UConn wants into the ACC as well. I believe the ACC hasn't agreed to them because they are holding out hope they can get Kansas and Texas. Once they get word that Texas is going with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech to the Pac-16 they will accept UConn and add either West Virginia, Rutgers, or possibly only Kansas.

At that point the Big East will have 3-4 football schools and I believe the Basketball only schools will split with the football schools at that point to create their own basketball only conference.

That leaves the Big East football guys reeling. Assuming those happen I expect Kansas and Missouri (and doubtfully but possibly Iowa State and Kansas State) to go to the Big 10/SEC.

The SEC will try to poach Clemson/Miami/Florida State/Georgia Tech from the ACC however the ACC just voted to increase the exit fee from $12 million to $20 million so I'm assuming they are all comfortable in the ACC (and assuming the rumor that Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida have a "veto" pact to any schools inside their states thus preventing them from joining).

At this point there will be very little "big fish" left for the Big 10 or SEC to get. Missouri will be had by one, don't know which. West Virginia, assuming they don't get an invite by the ACC will probably go to the SEC. Then you don't have much left for the SEC or Big 10. Would they add Louisville, Cincinatti, or USF when they already have presences in those states?

There is also TCU, which could go to the SEC. And once all this happens, Notre Dame might reconsider its independence and go to the Big 10 as well.

Bottom line, it will get crazy!!

Until the B1G decides to expand, the leftovers from the Big East and Big XII will probably merge together.

Crazy if it happened. However, if it does, Pac-12 and SEC far better than Big Ten. This why I want ND to go to either of them.

A small group of mid-majors are still up for grabs. Boise State, Tulsa, Southern Miss, East Carolina, Toledo, Colorado State, and Fresno State have all had success knocking off the heavyweights from time to time. Some of these teams could form their own conferences with the leftover Big 12 and Big East teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayneowns91 View Post
    Crazy if it happened. However, if it does, Pac-12 and SEC far better than Big Ten. This why I want ND to go to either of them.
    Pac-16 is not an option unless we kick out a team(which would be hilarious).

I think San Diego state would go in before Fresno state imo

I really dont want this to happen, but if they do I want the pod system

You would think that the rest of the Big 12 could join the Mountain West.

Marcus Mariota

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast