Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Havens lost 20 lbs. this past season, because he wasn't able to work out. I'm quite sure they won't call his power fringy next year.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Only Met to make it.
    They fell victim to A) Binghamton sucking and B) they think the farm system isn't any good.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Havens lost 20 lbs. this past season, because he wasn't able to work out. I'm quite sure they won't call his power fringy next year.
    I hope Reese starts with either the Mets or AAA next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Average/fringe power for 2nd base with regards to Havens?

That doesn't sound right at all to me.

What do you guys think?
    This year he did not showed as much power as he has in the past, but that is understandable due to the injuries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    They fell victim to A) Binghamton sucking and B) they think the farm system isn't any good.
    In the follow up questions they explained why some guys did not make it.

Havens did not make it because he if often injured.
    Valdespin did not make it because they feel his glove was bad at SS and he is old.
    Harvey did not make it because he was erratic in the league.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't agree with the average power comment. Havens has plus power potential for a 2nd baseman. He's been compared to Chase Utley who hits for above average power for a 2nd baseman. He's been hurt which affected his weight and his body and health, so it's understandable for him to have had a power drop off this year. Let him get fully healthy and strong and get him into ST ready to play a full season.

vCash
    Also, Harvey was erratic in his time in AA, but after his first few starts, he pitched much better and seemed to have adjusted to the league.

And Valdespin does need to work on his defense, but he's still only 23 and has the athleticism to play a good SS or 2nd base. He finally started to put it together this past year, hopefully with more reps, his glove will improve as well.

vCash

Just Missed List

Baseball America published a list of one prospect for each league that just missed making their top-20 lists.

New York-Penn League (SS) RHP CORY MAZZONI, BROOKLYN (METS) AGE: 21. B-T: R-R. HT.: 6-1. WT.: 190. DRAFTED: North Carolina State, 2011 (2).

Mazzoni arrived at N.C. State as a power-armed but raw Pennsylvania prep product but blossomed into a legit staff ace as a junior. After signing for $437,500 as a second-round pick, Mazzoni cruised through a relief stint in the NY-P and continued to pitch well out of the bullpen after a promotion to high Class A St. Lucie. He racked up 18 strikeouts and three walks in 13 total innings but did not make enough appearances to qualify for the Top 20 in either league. Mazzoni is not overly physical but has athleticism, a loose arm and a repeatable delivery. During his Brooklyn stint, Mazzoni’s fastball sat at 93-96 mph, and though it can be a bit straight, he located it well down in the zone. He complemented it with a hard 82-85 mph slider with late action, a legitimate plus offering. Mazzoni did not throw a third pitch while working in relief, but he used a decent splitter in college.
    If anyone is looking forward to the International League list...no Bisons made the top 20 -- but of course, they were all in Flushing.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Yeah, I doubt any Bisons make it.

But I'm a fan of Mazzoni. He supposedly has 5 pitches according to his pitching coach. He throws a good FB that can get up to 96mph. His slider is a plus pitch and according to his Brooklyn pitching coach, he also has a curve, change up, and splitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYman15 View Post
    Yeah, I doubt any Bisons make it.
    I've seen the list. Actually, here it is....

International League ( 1- 20 ) by Baseball America

Moore
    Teheran
    Mesoraco
    Jennings
    Montero
    Brown
    Kipnis
    Minor
    Peacock
    Chisenhall
    Cozart
    Viciedo
    Alonso
    Lavarnway
    Worley
    Reddick
    Guyer
    Presley
    Cobb
    Frazier
    http://www.baseballamerica.com
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Kirk Nieuwenhuis could of made this list and he qualified for it I believe.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 10-05-2011 at 01:58 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the list. Kirk could have had a chance, but him missing half the year probably pulled him off the list. But he had a great 1st half of the year before getting hurt.

vCash
    2011 Eastern League Top Prospects
    Reese Havens, 2B New York Mets

“He really stayed with his approach no matter how we pitched him. I had the opportunity from second base to see how he hit. He got in good counts. We started pitching him away more as the season went on and it’s like he changed his approach. He was fun to watch.” – Eastern League hitter
    http://projectprospect.com/article/2...-top-prospects

vCash
    Always nice to hear praise from a different organization. I still think I see Reese as this franchises future 2nd baseman long term although Tejada has been very impressive. If Reese can stay healthy, he has the potential to be a great, offensive 2nd baseman.

vCash
    International League Top 20 Prospects by Baseball America
    ...as published online today, www.baseballamerica.com

1. Matt Moore, lhp, Durham Bulls (Rays)
    2. Julio Teheran, rhp, Gwinnett Braves
    3. Devin Mesoraco, c, Louisville Bats (Reds)
    4. Desmond Jennings, of, Durham Bulls (Rays)
    5. Jesus Montero, c, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
    6. Domonic Brown, of, Lehigh Valley Ironpigs (Phillies)
    7. Jason Kipnis, 2b, Columbus Clippers (Indians)
    8. Mike Minor, lhp, Gwinnett Braves
    9. Brad Peacock, rhp, Syracuse Chiefs (Nationals)
    10. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b, Columbus Clippers (Indians)
    11. Zack Cozart, ss, Louisville Bats (Reds)
    12. Dayan Viciedo, of/1b, Charlotte Knights (White Sox)
    13. Yonder Alonso, 1b/of, Louisville Bats (Reds)
    14. Ryan Lavarnway, c, Pawtucket Red Sox
    15. Vance Worley, rhp, Lehigh Valley Ironpigs (Phillies)
    16. Josh Reddick, of, Pawtucket Red Sox
    17. Brandon Guyer, of, Durham Bulls (Rays)
    18. Alex Presley, of, Indianapolis Indians (Pirates)
    19. Alex Cobb, rhp, Durham Bulls (Rays)
    20. Todd Frazier, of/3b/1b, Louisville Bats (Reds)
    Chat at 4:30 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast