Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    @ProspectD2J (Toronto): Scouts are super high on the tools of Aaron Hicks and Wilmer Flores. At this point, which of these players is closest to converting those tools into skills and reaching their potential?

Jim Shonerd: I would give the edge there to Flores because of his feel for hitting being more advanced, which was the biggest reason for his making the list in spite of his numbers dropping off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Puello has way better tools than Flores, he had a better season, and showed more power, Flores regressed from last season. Also it's looking like Flores will likely be a corner outfielder/1st baseman.

So it's not whether or not Flores is a good enough major league hitter, he's gonna have to hit for much more power for his position, which he still hasn't shown.

Puello can be successful with a lower BA, some pop, and his speed for CF. Both are just 20 years old, and Puello still has a lot of time to refine his tools to make him a better ball player.
    Never underestimate a player who can make contact. Right now Flores is a shortstop, right now Flores is striking out 13%. Flores had one less HR and more doubles.

In AA, the pitchers are better and less forgiving. I fully expect Flores to show what type of hitter he is in Binghamton. While I expect Puello to still struggle with pitch recognition.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    It does not matter what Flores is now, it's what he projects to be in the big leagues. I expect Flores to maintain making contact, with a slight uptick in power next year in AA.

I think Puello can hit 15 HR next season, he's still young enough to improve with pitch recognition and all the tools are there. Also, Puello hit .284/.336/.463 in the 2nd half while Flores stayed the same all year.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 10-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.

vCash
    Norman (San Jose): how close were the top 6? offensively, how do you see Lee evolving? high OBP, 30-40 steals guy?

Jim Shonerd: Miller and Harvey were the clear top two, the rest were fairly interchangeable. I don't think that's unreasonable for Lee, and he'll mix in plenty of doubles and triples.

vCash
    Zack Wheeler (St Lucie): Where would I have ranked on your list, had I pitched enough IP?

Jim Shonerd: Probably somewhere in that 3-7 range. Like I mentioned earlier, you could've put that group in a number of different orders and made a case for it.
    Interesting that they would rank him behind Harvey.

vCash
    Wheeler and Harvey are interchangeable IMO, it just depends on what you are looking for. If one guy is looking for more polish, they will choose Harvey, if another guy is looking for more upside, they'll go Wheeler. Both have great talent.

vCash
    I did find it interesting he had Wheeler behind Harvey. Most reports I've read had Wheeler higher due to higher potential. But both are great pitching prospects. But you make good points. Both have talent. Harvey is more polished while Wheeler has a higher ceiling.

vCash
    It's also good to hear Puello just missed the list. Puello has 5 tool potential and while his avg. struggled this year, he started to show more of that raw power and he made the move to CF. Both him and Flores are young and both have good skills. Flores is more polished with the bat, but Puello has the potential to be the better all around player. I'm hoping for a breakout year with Flores next year in AA.

vCash
    EASTERN LEAGUE TOP 20 PROSPECTS
    1. Bryce Harper, of, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
    2. Travis D'Arnaud, c, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
    3. Anthony Gose, of, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
    4. Brad Peacock, rhp, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
    5. Jacob Turner, rhp, Erie Seawolves (Tigers)
    6. Manny Banuelos, lhp, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
    7. Starling Marte, of, Altoona Curve (Pirates)
    8. Will Middlebrooks, 3b, Portland Seadogs (Red Sox)
    9. Dellin Betances, rhp, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
    10. Henderson Alvarez, rhp, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
    11. Eric Surkamp, lhp, Richmond Flying Squirrels (Giants)
    12. Derek Norris, c, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
    13. Jeurys Familia, rhp, Binghamton Mets
    14. Francisco Peguero, of, Richmond Flying Squirrels (Giants)
    15. Ryan Lavarnway, c, Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox)
    16. Francisco Martinez, 3b, Erie Seawolves (Tigers)
    17. Austin Romine, c, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
    18. Chih-Hsien Chiang, of, Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox)
    19. Adeiny Hechavarria, ss, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
    20. Kyle McPherson, rhp, Altoona Curve (Pirates)
    13. JEURYS FAMILIA RHP, BINGHAMTON METS
    Age: 21. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 185. Signed: Dominican Republic, '07.
    Familia started the year in dominant fashion in the warm weather of the Florida State League, then made his Double-A debut in May and earned league all-star honors. He posted a 3.38 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 56 over his first 10 EL starts, then missed a month with a shoulder impingement and wasn't quite as effective upon his return.

Familia toned down his delivery from his phrenetic motion he showed prior to 2011, and that allowed him to throw more quality strikes with one of the EL's most explosive fastballs. His loose, whippy arm helps him sit at 92-96 mph with hard life down in the zone.

His curveball has improved, and while it has slurvy shape, it has late break at times and gives him another swing-and-miss pitch. His changeup is too firm but is a decent third pitch that plays up thanks to his premium fastball. His youth and inexperience show up most with his erratic defense and difficulties holding runners.
    Code:
    G 	GS 	W 	L 	SV 	ERA 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	AVG
    17 	17 	4 	4 	0 	3.49 	88 	85 	43 	34 	10 	35 	96 	.249
    Only Met to make it.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm not really surprised he was the only Met to make it. I thought there was an outside shot Valdespin would make it, but it didn't happen.

It's good to hear he's toned down his delivery. I still have hope he can make it as a starter and I think he took a big step forward, this year, in becoming a potential starter long term. Biggest thing was that he threw more strikes this year, which is a key if he wants to become a starter. He's always had the great FB, and he has a great curve, that I know Wally Backman loves, and if he can get that change up to be adequate, he can be a great starter. That change up would help against the left handers. He's only 21, so he has time on his side, but he took a big step forward this year.

vCash
    @Jaypers413 (IL): Did Matt Harvey not pitch enough to qualify? If he had, about where would you have ranked him? What did scouts like and dislike about him this season?

John Manuel: Speaking of the Mets, who seem to have contributed half of Puerto Rico's World Cup team ... Harvey did pitch enough to qualify, and he's in that 21-25 group. The guys I talked to who saw him in the EL thought his stuff was inconsistent and his inexperience showed a bit in terms of setting up hitters and pitch sequence, but he didn't miss by much. On a top 100, I'd imagine he'd go ahead of Kyle McPherson, for example. In McPherson's favor, he has a better changeup and actually threw a bit harder than Harvey, but he's also older. McPherson was better in the league, that swayed me to give him the 20th spot. People in the league definitely liked Familia better because of his loose arm and better fastball. But Harvey's upside remains very high.
    Another example of just flip flopping the criteria as to who goes where by BA.

vCash
    @Jaypers413 (IL): Jordany Valdespin had what many consider a breakout year - was he considered for your list?

John Manuel: He was on my list when I first started, but wound up out of it because of his defense and age. He made 26 E's I believe at SS in 78 games, and no one I talked to thinks he's an everyday shortstop. The bat came on, but he's going to have to get better with the glove at second base or wind up as a utility player. the consensus I got was the latter was his most likely future.
    Age really? He was 23 and Peguero was 23 as well, yeah he was 6 month younger, but that's nothing, and Peguero is even worst at getting on base and the likely hood of him being a 4th outfielder is just as good as Valdespin being a bench player. Valdespin may not stay at SS, but reality is that he has the ability to stay at 2nd and be at least average there.

vCash
    Brian (New York): Would you consider Reese Havens to be the Mets' 2B of the future, and did he get any love for the top 20?

John Manuel: Again, I thought this top 20 was pretty stout, so the oft-injured Havens couldn't crack the list. I like him as a future regular, but he has to stay healthy to do that. There's real life in his bat for a 2b, though it's more average power if not fringe-average. The fact that he's lefthanded will carry him, if he can stay healthy.
    I understand Havens not cracking it because of his age, if your going to use that lame excuse.

vCash
    Average/fringe power for 2nd base with regards to Havens?

That doesn't sound right at all to me.

What do you guys think?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I don't think 15-20 HR is fringe power for a 2nd baseman.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast