Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Baseball America Chat - SAL Prospects with Bill Ballew

Q: Any Mets prospects close to making this group? It's a pretty stacked top 20, but who are the standouts from the Sandgnats?

Bill Ballew: Several guys had solid years even though they didn't crack the top 20. The list includes Taylor Whitenton, Angel Cuan, Erik Goedel, Chase Huchingson, Aderlin Rodriguez, Robbie Shields, Cory Vaughn and Blake Forsyth. Vaughn showed his bloodlines and could move quickly as he puts everything together against better competition. Shields learned how to make adjustments at the plate and displayed his versatility with the leather that should help him progress. There was some good talent in Savannah, which is one reason why they reached the playoffs.

Q: Whats your thoughts on Mets prospect Aderlin Rodriguez ?

Bill Ballew: He struggled to find his approach at the plate this year. He has above-average power and a very strong arm with a big frame with decent athleticism. Most players hit for average before the power develops but Rodriguez is a little different in that regard. When he's in a groove, he hits balls up the middle and to the opposite field and reacts well to the inside pitch. He just needs to find more consistency in his approach in order to develop into a true prospect.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com

Chase Huchingson will wake up baseball's pundits in 2012.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yeah, Huchingson took everyone by surprise this year. I can't wait to see how he does next year. I was a little surprised A-rod didn't make it as he's only 19 and already has shown a ton of power potential. I think A-rod has a breakout year next year and hits for better avg.
    I think St. Lucie may have a few guys making the list, but not sure if guys like Harvey/Familia/Wheeler have enough innings down there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Baseball America Chat - SAL Prospects with Bill Ballew

http://www.baseballamerica.com

Chase Huchingson will wake up baseball's pundits in 2012.
    Pretty much what I said before.

vCash
    Do you guys see Huchingson starting in Savannah next year or St. Lucie? I would think Savannah.

vCash
    Better be St. Lucie, he's got nothing to prove in Savanah and the jump in competition isn't too stark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYman15 View Post
    Do you guys see Huchingson starting in Savannah next year or St. Lucie? I would think Savannah.
    No reason for him to be in Savannah in 2012.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yeah, I guess you're right. He just needs to log more innings as they really slowed him down as the year went on and then started coming out of the bullpen.

vCash
    Top 20 Prospects - California League

Mets 1

1. Tyler Skaggs, lhp, Visalia Rawhide (Diamondbacks)
    2. Jedd Gyorko, 3b, Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres)
    3. Gary Brown, of, San Jose Giants
    4. Zack Wheeler, rhp, San Jose Giants
    5. Jonathan Singleton, 1b, Lancaster Jethawks (Astros)
    6. Nolan Arenado, 3b, Modesto Nuts (Rockies)
    7. Michael Choice, of, Stockton Ports (Athletics)
    8. Allen Webster, rhp, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (Dodgers)
    9. Chad Bettis, rhp, Modesto Nuts (Rockies)
    10. Yasmani Grandal, c, Bakersfield Blaze (Reds)
    11. Tommy Joseph, c, San Jose (Giants)
    12. Nick Franklin, ss/2b, High Desert (Mariners)
    13. Jean Segura, ss, Inland Empire (Angels)
    14. Reymond Fuentes, of, Lake Elsinore (Padres)
    15. Jose Altuve, 2b, Lancaster (Astros)
    16. Matt Davidson, 1b/3b, Visalia (Diamondbacks)
    17. Chris Dominguez, 3b, San Jose (Giants)
    18. Johnny Hellweg, rhp, Inland Empire (Angels)
    19. Chris Owings, ss, Visalia (Diamondbacks)
    20. Kent Matthes, of, Modesto (Rockies)

4. ZACK WHEELER RHP, SAN JOSE GIANTS
    AGE: 21. B-T: R-R. HT.: 6-4. WT.: 185. Drafted: HS—Dallas, Ga., '09 (1).
    The sixth overall pick in the 2009 draft, Wheeler didn't pitch that season because he signed late and worked just 59 innings in his pro debut last year because he nursed a cracked fingernail. He finally started to take off in 2011, though the Giants dealt him to the Mets for Carlos Beltran in July.

Wheeler spent much of the offseason getting his mechanics in order and emerged in the Cal League with an explosive 90-96 mph fastball. His heater became even more effective as he focused less on velocity and more on locating it down in the strike zone.

Wheeler's secondary pitches lag behind his fastball but show plenty of promise. His upper-70s curveball has significant bite when he commands it well, and he began to show feel for his changeup. He reverted to his high school delivery shortly before the trade and achieved improved command, walking just five in six starts in the Mets system.
    Code:
    G 	GS 	W 	L 	SV 	ERA 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	AVG
    16 	16 	7 	5 	0 	3.99 	88 	74 	44 	39 	7 	47 	98 	.224

vCash
    How is Gary Brown ranked higher than Wheeler? Did they not take into account what Wheeler did at all in his time in the FSL?

vCash
    Yeah and no. This rankings are mostly based on what they did in that league, but they do mention what he did in the FSL.

vCash
    I have Wheeler as the Mets top prospect. He has the most potential out of any of their starters in my opinion. He was fantastic while he was Met. He had much better command after going back to his HS mechanics. He has a great FB, with a potential plus curve, and I love hearing his change up is getting better.

vCash
    Gary Brown could be nice though, I have no problem with him being ranked over Wheeler. I actually wanted Brown at the time of the trade since he's a CF with speed.

Wheeler could be a beast though, I can't wait till these guys get to the bigs.

vCash
    I like Brown as well, but if I had to choose between Brown and Wheeler, I'd choose Wheeler.

I remember the early reports with the Beltran trade had Brown being the top prospect being traded for Beltran, but then it became Wheeler. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Both guys have the potential to be very special players.

vCash
    Maybe, Gary Brown is hit .336/.407/.519 with 34 2B, 13 3B, 14 HR, 53 SB and 12% SO rate this year. That's really good, and he could have been here in a year or two. He got HBP 23 times too, ouch!

...But by no means am I upset with Wheeler, he could be an ace.

vCash
    Agreed. Both could be special. I think Brown has a ton of potential and can be a great leadoff hitter in the future. However, I still want to see him put up those types of numbers in AA or AAA as he's a little old for his league. That's not to say I don't think he can do it, I just want to see more and in higher levels. Still, both can be special.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast