Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Gray never got compared to Lincecum and I doubt that anybody thought that just because he is short he would be the next Lincecum.

Gray has one of the best fastball/curveball combos in the draft. If he reminded people of anybody it was Roy Oswalt.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 09-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    I would have liked if we had drafted Gray or Barnes in the 1st round. Supplemental I would have liked Dillon Howard (I'd say Josh Bell, but no one thought he would really sign). 2nd round I would have taken Daniel Norris. After that I would have taken some bats for the next few rounds. 3rd round guys like Aaron Westlake, Peter O'Brien, Johnny Eiermann, Pratt Maynard, B.A. Vollmuth, Ricky Orepesa, or Connor Barron are a few bats tat were available. I would have also, drafted Dillon Maples somewhere before he was drafted in the 13th round. Yes financially it would have been more expensive, but then we get guys like Muno who signed for 10K. I'd prefer quality over quantity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I would have liked if we had drafted Gray or Barnes in the 1st round. Supplemental I would have liked Dillon Howard (I'd say Josh Bell, but no one thought he would really sign). 2nd round I would have taken Daniel Norris. After that I would have taken some bats for the next few rounds. 3rd round guys like Aaron Westlake, Peter O'Brien, Johnny Eiermann, Pratt Maynard, B.A. Vollmuth, Ricky Orepesa, or Connor Barron are a few bats tat were available. I would have also, drafted Dillon Maples somewhere before he was drafted in the 13th round. Yes financially it would have been more expensive, but then we get guys like Muno who signed for 10K. I'd prefer quality over quantity.
    That draft would cost a ton, Mets would never open up their pockets that much. I think everyone prefers quality over quantity.

vCash
    Chat with BA's Aaron Fitt on NYP League Prospects (Mets-related only)

Q: The report on Muno mentions that not all scouts are sold on his bat. What's their knock on it? The rest of the report sounds like a good bat for a MIF.

Aaron Fitt: I think it's primarily a question of whether he'll have the strength to be an everyday player, but my gut says he has a real chance. I try to avoid making my own comps unless I've heard them from scouts, but I'm going to throw this one out there anyway: he reminds me a lot of Steve Lombardozzi with the Nationals, another undersized guy who switch-hits, does all the little things to win and plays above his tools. Lombardozzi also has a really good feel to hit, and I think Muno does as well. Lombo's also a big leaguer, and I bet Muno follows suit.

Q: Did Jack Leathersich qualify for this list? If not, would he have made it? Pretty impressive numbers in a small sample size.

Aaron Fitt: He did not quite qualify, but he would have had a real chance to make the list if he had. He showed 90-94 mph heat in one-inning stints, and good life. His slider has big, hard break and has a chance to be a plus pitch, though he overthrows it at times. He's got good command of those two pitches but doesn't really have a changeup and probably projects as a reliever.

Q: Pleasant surprise to see Danny Muno make the list. Any other Cyclones get considered?

Aaron Fitt: While we're talking Mets, Cory Mazzoni also was very impressive in his brief NY-P stint (he also did not qualify for this list). He was 93-96 with a plus slider. Exciting arm.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Hopefully Mazzoni surprises as a starter and pitches well in St. Lucie next year.

vCash
    I thought I had heard reports of Leathersich throwing 96-98, not 90-94. I assume the Mets will try him out as a starter and eventually move him to the bullpen as he gets closer to the majors, or if he struggles as a starter. I think he could be Billy Wagner lite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    As I posted before am no fan of Pill, Mazzini and Pateliodis.
    How about Verrett? Was ranked highest (of the Met P's) by BA and there's been talk that changing his mechanics may be able to upgrade his velocity and upside, maybe considerably. Someone who used to follow the Met system enough to have contacts told he me hears they will do just that with his mechanics. He sounds really interesting, at the very least.
    Last edited by Daaaarryyl; 09-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    I like Verrett.

vCash
    I like Verrett the best out of the college pitchers they drafted.

vCash
    Verrett possibly has the best potential of their college starters. I like Mazzoni. He supposedly has 5 pitches and he pitched well out of the bullpen this year. However, we still have to see him perform well as a starter. And I think Leathesich projects as a reliever in the future, however, I think they'll start him as a starter and then look to move him to the bullpen if he doesn't pitch well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That draft would cost a ton, Mets would never open up their pockets that much. I think everyone prefers quality over quantity.
    I meant I wouldn't have minded if we signed half as many players as we did if a top the draft we took Gray, Howard, Norris, Westlake, and Maples later. Those 4 pitchers cost about 8 mil (don't know what a guy like Westlake signed for). Yes that is a lot of spending, but coming out of the draft with what we already had, we would have probably been considered to have one of the strongest farms in regards to pitching.

vCash
    This next draft will tell a lot in terms of how the FO is handling the farm and draft. Will, they go overslot again? Will they spend even more, now knowing what they need? Will they start going after guys like Norris, a guy who fell because of signing issues, but has 1st round talent? Lots of questions have to be answered. But the farm is definitely improving and I think they'e on the right track.

vCash

Top 20 Prospects - South Atlantic League - Baseball America

Top 20 Prospects - South Atlantic League - Baseball America

Mets: None.

1. Bryce Harper, of, Hagerstown Suns (Nationals)
    2. Manny Machado, ss, Delmarva Shorebirds (Orioles)
    3. Jurickson Profar, ss, Hickory Crawdads (Rangers)
    4. Jameson Taillon, rhp, West Virginia Power (Pirates)
    5. Christian Yelich, of, Greensboro Grasshoppers (Marlins)
    6. Jesse Biddle, lhp, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)
    7. Marcell Ozuna, of, Greensboro Grasshoppers (Marlins)
    8. Brandon Jacobs, of, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
    9. Jonathan Schoop, ss/3b, Delmarva Shorebirds (Orioles)
    10. Xander Bogaerts, ss, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
    11. A.J. Cole, rhp, Hagerstown Suns (Nationals)
    12. Kyle Parker, of, Asheville Tourists (Rockies)
    13. J.T. Realmuto, c, Greensboro Grasshoppers (Marlins)
    14. Gary Sanchez, c, Charleston Riverdogs (Yankees)
    15. Trayce Thompson, of, Kannapolis Intimidators (White Sox)
    16. Bryce Brentz, of, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
    17. Tyler Matzek, lhp, Asheville Tourists (Rockies)
    18. Domingo Santana, of, Lakewood Blueclaws (Phillies)/Lexington Legends (Astros)
    19. Cody Buckel, rhp, Hickory Crawdads (Rangers)
    20. Miles Head, 1b, Greenville Drive (Red Sox)
    On this list only Taillon and Bogaerts stand out for me, but that's largely because I saw players with other organizations only a few times, and they are just as likely to go 0-4 as they are 2-4. I saw Ozuna have a nice game, but don't recall Yelich or Jacobs did anything on the field. Taillon had a great fastball and workable breaking/offspeed pitches for a kid 1 year removed from HS. Bogaerts didn't do anything in particular, it was his athleticism that stood out. In fact I think he struck out a few times and dropped a ball at SS, but -- something about him was head and shoulders above the others. At the time I had never even heard of him, so there was no bias.

Any list that has Gary Sanchez and Bryce Bentz toward the bottom means the SAL was loaded with top tier prospects.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-28-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I'm heading out, but I thought it would be a fun idea to make a list of the Mets' best prospects in Savannah this summer. This team had talent, just not elite or high profile talent.

vCash
    The one guy I thought would make it would be Aderlin simply for his power potential even if he had a bad year because guys like O'connor where there even after doing nothing for 2 years. Yet am not surprised one bit that he did not make it because a guy who ultimately will be a 1st baseman needs to mash. The SAL was loaded with talent this year, just not on the Mets which is funny because they had the best team for the whole year.

They had some solid talent there in guys like Vaughn, Ceciliani, Cordero, Forsythe, Rodriguez and Shields. On the pitching side guys like Goeddel, Hutchingson, Whitenton, Cuan, Peavey and Edgin are solid but none of these guys are seen as top of the rotation guys or lights out pen arms.

St. Lucie should have 2-4 guys make it imo in Puello, Familia, Harvey and Flores.

Flores might not make it.
    Puello should because he took steps forward specially with pop and played center field.
    Harvey will be there too.
    Familia might not have had enough time.
    Wheeler may not qualify as well, but am thinking he may qualify for the CAL which comes out tomorrow I believe.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast