Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He answered one of my questions....I hope he responds to my Q about the pitching.

Camden Maron (Huntington, NY): I hit .318 with excellent plate discipline in my first season of professional ball in Kingsport as a left-hand hitting catcher. I have good size and should fill out with projectable power. Was I overlooked because I was a 34th round draft pick?

Matthew Eddy: You're right, Kingsport C Cam Maron does have an intriguing profile as a lefty-swinging catcher with a chance to hit for average. He made the league's postseason all-star team and projects to hit for solid average because he has a quick bat, hits different types of pitching and uses the whole field. As to his defense, one manager said it best, "There an old saying: When you don't notice the catcher or umpire, then they're doing a great job."
    I'd say that's a fairly favorable opinion overall.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    And another...apparently you have to phrase your question in a non-serious manner to get a response.

Omar Minaya (At Home, NY): Will the trio of Urbina, Morris, and Tapia help to rewrite my history as Mets GM in five years, and re-establish my credentials?

Matthew Eddy: Leaving aside the issue of Minaya, the Kingsport trio of LHP Juan Urbina and RHPs Akeel Morris and Domingo Tapia possess a fair amount of potential. The 6-foot-4 Tapia received the most mention from league observers for his plus and sometimes double-plus velocity on his sinker -- as high as 96-98 mph -- with ample movement. He doesn't really command a second pitch but has shown flashes of spinning a breaking ball and throwing a changeup with good arm speed. He doesn't get as many strikeouts as you'd expect with that high-end velocity, but it sounds like he's got the basic Fausto Carmona starter kit. Morris lacks Tapia's size and fastball velo/control, but his secondary stuff may be ahead at this stage. Urbina still has perhaps the highest ceiling of the three, but he's still growing into his velocity at age 18 and refining his breaking ball.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    still sounds pretty good to me

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    Yeah, I'm pretty surprised none of the guys from Kingsport made it. That team had a lot of talent in my opinion.
    However, its assuring to hear the writer thinks pretty highly of some of the Mets prospects. I really like Maron and that big 3 of Urbina, Morris, and Tapia have a ton of potential. Nice to hear, they feel the same way.

vCash
    He answered one more from me...

Mr. Cynic (Georgia): How did you factor projection versus accomplishment? It seems that many of these choices are based upon previous reputation and name recognition rather than actual development.

Matthew Eddy: You seem to be referencing Josh Sale, Guillermo Pimentel and Justin O'Conner with this question. The answer is, yes, I give them the benefit of the doubt to high-profile prospects who struggled in the Appy League. In my opinion, the 2 1/2 months of data/reports ought not serve to obliterate the reasons scouts and directors staked their reputations on these players in the first place.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Rookie leagues are the hardest to evaluate for obvious enough reasons.
    Yes, but this is also what scares me some about using very high draft picks on guys like Nimmo. Justin O'Connor last year was a guy the Mets apparently liked a lot. They could have easily taken him over Matt Harvey, and it really wouldn't have been any bigger a surprise than Nimmo over Sonny Gray, Jed Bradley, and Matt Barnes.

vCash
    BA imo has a tendency to also fall inlove with certain teams prospect based on teams reputation for developing top tear talent in recent years.

In other words if those guys would of been on the Rays, you bet they would of made the list.

vCash
    ....now is good to hear some of the positive feed back they had to say about the kids, but am still very disappointed that not 1 was listed in the top 20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    BA imo has a tendency to also fall inlove with certain teams prospect based on teams reputation for developing top tear talent in recent years.
    As was the case with BA and the Mets in the early to mid 1980s. I remember feature articles about Jody Johnston ( some story about how he shot himself in the leg hunting), Rick Ownbey (throws frisbeees w his toes), Jason Felice, Jeff Bittiger in addition to the obvious ones on Dwight and Darryl.

I remember the cover story on one issue in 1982 was the Jackson Mets OF of #1 picks, Beane, Blocker, and Strawberry. I think Jefferies was on a cover 4 to 5 times.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    NY-PENN LEAGUE TOP 20 PROSPECTS BY BASEBALL AMERICA, 2011

#18 Danny Muno

A consummate winner, Muno was the starting shortstop and offensive catalyst for Fresno State's 2008 national championship team as a freshman. He played third base as a senior this spring but moved back to short in the NY-P, which he led in batting (.355), on-base percentage (.466) and doubles (23). Not all scouts are sold on his bat, though he manages the strike zone very well, grinds out at-bats and has bat speed from both sides of the plate.

"He has some of the best knowledge of the strike zone I've ever seen from a young kid," Brooklyn manager Rich Donnelly said. "His bat is going to play and his OBP is ridiculous. He's been a winner his whole life. He's a tough kid and I just like him."

Muno lacks the range to be an everyday shortstop in the big leagues, but he has good infield actions and instincts to go along with a solid arm. He has a chance to be a regular at second base or a versatile utilityman who can fill in all over the infield. He has slightly above-average speed and good baserunning instincts.
    Yankees had 5 of the top 20 inc #1 Mason Williams

1. Mason Williams, of, Staten Island Yankees
    2. Garin Cecchini, 3b, Lowell Spinners (Red Sox)
    3. Parker Markel, rhp, Hudson Valley Renegades (Rays)
    4. Maikel Franco, 3b, Williamsport Crosscutters (Phillies)
    5. Jose Urena, rhp, Jamestown Jammers (Marlins)
    6. Cito Culver, ss, Staten Island Yankees
    7. Tony Wolters, ss, Mahoning Valley Scrappers (Indians)
    8. Tyler Austin, 3b, Staten Island Yankees
    9. Nick Kingham, rhp, State College Spikes (Pirates)
    10. Parker Bridwell, rhp, Aberdeen Ironbirds (Orioles)
    11. Alex Dickerson, 1b, State College Spikes (Pirates)
    12. Aaron Westlake, 1b, Connecticut Tigers
    13. Matt Skole, 3b, Auburn Doubledays (Nationals)
    14. Angelo Gumbs, 2b, Staten Island Yankees
    15. Glynn Davis, of, Aberdeen Ironbirds (Orioles)
    16. Bobby Crocker, of, Vermont Lake Monsters (Athletics)
    17. Jake Lowery, c/1b, Mahoning Valley Scrappers (Indians)
    18. Danny Muno, ss, Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets)
    19. Branden Pinder, rhp, Staten Island Yankees
    20. Aaron Altherr, of, Williamsport Crosscutters (Phillies)
    http://www.baseballamerica.com
    Last edited by Dugmet; 10-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    There are 3 guys on that list I was hoping we would draft aside from Muno. I liked Aaron Westlake and Jake Lowery a lot, and also liked Alex Dickerson. They all went early though and we seemed to focus on pitching early after Nimmo. I still wish we went pitching in the 1st and took a few bats in between rounds 3-6.

vCash
    I agree with you. In retrospect I wished they had drafted Gray and Fulmer in the fist round and drafted some bats after that. As I posted before am no fan of Pill, Mazzini and Pateliodis.

vCash
    Muno can hit. I think coming out of college, everyone felt he would hit. He had a very strong season in Brooklyn, maybe even a little better than I thought, although he was a little old for the league. But he can hit and he has a good eye at the plate which will help as he moves through he minors.

vCash
    I would have definitely been fine with them going after pitching in the 1st round and then grabbing some bats in the later rounds. However, they said they went after a bat in the 1st round because they felt the draft was so deep in pitching, they could still get a lot of top pitching prospects as the draft went on. I would have been ok with either way they went. They still got a top pitcher in Fulmer who could have possibly been a 1st rounder in a lot of other drafts.

vCash
    I wanted no part of Gray, even though he might be good. People just see that he is short with good stuff and immediately think of Lincecum, but he is special.

Guys I would have liked instead of Nimmo are Bradley, Barnes, Swihart, Guerrieri, Bell, Norris, Bell, or Mahtook. Then if Nimmo made it to the supplemental, then I would snatched him up there, otherwise I would have just drafted Fulmer there. Though I have a feeling the Red Sox would have taken Nimmo where they selected Jackie Bradley Jr.

I hated the Mazzoni pick, we could have grabbed some real upside there.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast