Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

2011 Baseball America Top Prospects (League)

Gulf Coast League

1. Dante Bichette Jr., 3b, Yankees
    2. Ravel Santana, of, Yankees
    3. Luis Heredia, rhp, Pirates
    4. Brenny Paulino, rhp, Tigers
    5. Jose Osuna, 1b/of, Pirates
    6. Raul Alcantara, rhp, Red Sox
    7. Jose Vinicio, ss, Red Sox
    8. Adonys Cardona, rhp, Blue Jays
    9. Claudio Custodio, ss, Yankees
    10. Danry Vasquez, of, Tigers
    11. Jesus Solorzano, of, Marlins
    12. Roderick Bernadina, of, Orioles
    13. Blake Snell, lhp, Rays
    14. Alen Hanson, ss/2b, Pirates
    15. Joe Musgrove, rhp, Blue Jays
    16. Ethan Stewart, lhp, Phillies
    17. Victor Deleon, rhp, Cardinals
    18. Eduardo Rodriguez, lhp, Orioles
    19. Austin Brice, rhp, Marlins
    20. Rafael Montero, rhp, Mets
    20. RAFAEL MONTERO, RHP, METS

Montero moved quickly in his first pro season. After he dominated in four DSL starts, he moved to the GCL, where he was just as successful before ascending to Rookie-level Kingsport and short-season Brooklyn.

Montero's best pitch is his fastball, which sits at 90-93 mph and touches 95 with late hop, making it tough for hitters to pick up. His fastball plays up because his command of the pitch was so advanced for Rookie ball. He'll need to improve his secondary pitches, a fringy changeup and a below-average breaking ball, though he throws them both for strikes.
    Code:
    Year                        Age        Tm      Lg       Lev Aff W L  W-L%  ERA  G GS GF CG SHO SV   IP  H  R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP  BF  WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
    2011                         20   4 Teams   4 Lgs FRk-Rk-A- NYM 5 4  .556 2.15 17 12  1  0   0  1 71.0 55 23 17  4 13   0 66   5  0  4 285 0.958 7.0  0.5  1.6  8.4  5.08
    2011                         20     Mets1    DOSL       FRk NYM 1 1  .500 1.00  4  4  0  0   0  0 18.0  7  2  2  1  0   0 20   0  0  1  59 0.389 3.5  0.5  0.0       10.0
    2011                         20      Mets    GULF        Rk NYM 1 2  .333 1.45  7  4  1  0   0  1 31.0 28 11  5  0  6   0 32   5  0  2 136 1.097 8.1  0.0  1.7  9.3  5.33
    2011                         20 Kingsport    APPY        Rk NYM 2 1  .667 4.24  4  4  0  0   0  0 17.0 17  8  8  2  6   0  9   0  0  1  72 1.353 9.0  1.1  3.2  4.8  1.50
    2011                         20  Brooklyn    NYPL        A- NYM 1 0 1.000 3.60  2  0  0  0   0  0  5.0  3  2  2  1  1   0  5   0  0  0  18 0.800 5.4  1.8  1.8  9.0  5.00
    1 Season               1 Season                        1 Season 5 4  .556 2.15 17 12  1  0   0  1 71.0 55 23 17  4 13   0 66   5  0  4 285 0.958 7.0  0.5  1.6  8.4  5.08
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    The Yankees getting a ton of love.

Good to see Montero get some love, he is a guy to keep an eye on for sure.

Nimmo and Evans were not going to make the list bases on the short time they were there.

vCash
    Gulf Coast League: Mets' Chat Notes with Ben Badler of BA

Q: Do the Mets have any other prospects other than Rafael Montero worth keeping track of in the Gulf Coast League?

Ben Badler: Eudy Pina didn't hit, but he's an OF with raw tools, at least in the field. He's a 70 runner, at least a plus arm, and he's got some size at 6-3. He's a project, but in terms of raw tools, he compares pretty favorably to some of the guys in the second half of the list, just didn't have the offensive production I'd like to see from a 20-year-old in the GCL.
    Yes. I would not worry he didn't mention Nimmo (7 games) or Evans (4 games), but I fear some Mets fan will take the bait.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-20-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Wow I didn't even know anything about Montero until resently, great to have another prospect to keep an eye on.

I like Pina, but he is extremely raw, probably a guy who will be a late-bloomer or complete bust.

vCash
    Montero is definitely a guy to keep an eye on. He had a great year and was solid at every level he went to. Too little Ab's for Nimmo or Evans to see them get any recognition. Don't know much about Pina, but he seems to have good tools, but he has to put them together first.

vCash
    Pina like Gilbert Gomez is a guy that may do better once he leaves that league imo.

The one league that really makes me think that the Mets may have some good talent is Kingsport because of the big 3 there and some of the positional guys like Maron and the other guys like Lawley and Pron, but seriously doubt any of those guys make it.

I Brooklyn I would be shocked if any make it, that team relly did not have much talent that made you go wow. Guys like Muno may sneak in, but I doubt any of the pitchers would make it either like Leathersich, but he might.

Savannah may have Aderlin based on his power potential, maybe even Ceciliani because he had a hot end to the year and playoffs.

St. Lucie Puello will make it, doubt Flores does because BA really is down on him. Marte is another option and obviously guys like Wheeler and Harvey will probably make the top 10. Maybe Gorski or Lagares?

Binghamton you will have Familia and Valdespin maybe Lagares?

Buffalo will have a cold winter or Kirk may make it.

vCash
    I pretty agree with everything you said Sick. I think you'll probably see Kingsport and St. Lucie have the most players make the list. Kingsport had a ton of talent this past year. I'm curious as to who will make the cut.

vCash

2011 Appalachian League Top Prospects - Baseball America

2011 Appalachian League Top Prospects - Baseball America
    1. Miguel Sano, 3b/ss, Elizabethton Twins
    2. Brandon Drury, 3b, Danville Braves
    3. Tyrell Jenkins, rhp, Johnson City Cardinals
    4. Noah Syndergaard, rhp, Bluefield Blue Jays
    5. Eddie Rosario, of, Elizabethton Twins
    6. Drew Vettleson, of, Princeton Rays
    7. Jake Hager, ss, Princeton Rays
    8. J.R. Graham, rhp, Danville Braves
    9. Felipe Rivero, lhp, Princeton Rays
    10. Ryan Brett, 2b, Princeton Rays
    11. Chris Hawkins, of, Bluefield Blue Jays
    12. Aaron Sanchez, rhp, Bluefield Blue Jays
    13. Josh Sale, of, Princeton Rays
    14. Guillermo Pimentel, of, Pulaski Mariners
    15. Justin O'Conner, c, Princeton Rays
    16. Jeff Ames, rhp, Princeton Rays
    17. Madison Boer, rhp, Elizabethton Twins
    18. Nick Ahmed, ss, Danville Braves
    19. Jordan Scott, of, Greeneville Astros
    20. Kevan Smith, c, Bristol White Sox
    I would have thought Akeel Morris or maybe Tapia might have received a mention, and possibly Urbina could have squeaked in. But you have to look at these players and perhaps they are an extremely good group. Young guys like Sale get in because they were huge names when drafted even though their numbers in 2011 were not so good.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    Justin O'Conner hit .157/.234/.354 this year after a .211/.301/.348 debut last year. If he's on this list, I'm not sure why Urbina isn't when Urbina has just as much upside and his numbers didn't suck nearly as bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Justin O'Conner hit .157/.234/.354 this year after a .211/.301/.348 debut last year. If he's on this list, I'm not sure why Urbina isn't when Urbina has just as much upside and his numbers didn't suck nearly as bad.
    From BA Chat:

Q: Rays C Justin O'Conner's numbers are just ugly. Besides where he was drafted, what qualifies him to rank 15th on this list??

Matthew Eddy: With theses lists we attempt to reflect the opinions and evaluations of league personnel. I can assure you that managers who watched C Justin O'Conner on a daily basis came away impressed with his throwing arm and power, believing that he'll be a plus receiver with experience. If that comes to pass, he'll have nailed two of the three most important tools for a big league catcher: fielding and arm strength. Now, hitting is the third bigee and O'Conner has not shown that yet. But compare his progress with where a big league catcher like a Kelly Shoppach was at when he was 19.
    What the heck does he mean by this? Anyway, Shoppach was at Baylor University when he was 19 and isn't much of a MLB catcher. I don't get it.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.

vCash
    That is a load of bs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    That is a load of bs.
    I'm in the BA chat. Any question(s) I can throw into the pool for someone? So far I asked, "Why the love for Justin O'Conner?" and "Did any Mets' prospects receive consideration?".

vCash
    If it is any consolation here is BA's Appy list from 5 years ago:

*1. Travis Snider, of (Blue Jays)
    2. Bill Rowell, 3b (Orioles)
    3. Kieron Pope, of (Orioles)
    *4. Tommy Hanson, rhp (Braves)
    5. Jamie Richmond, rhp (Braves)
    6. Daryl Jones, of (Cardinals)
    *7. Desmond Jennings, of (Devil Rays)
    8. Chase Fontaine, ss (Braves)
    9. Jon Edwards, of (Cardinals)
    *10. Zach Britton, lhp (Orioles)
    11. Emmanuel Garcia, ss/2b (Mets)
    12. Blake King, rhp (Cardinals)
    13. Tyler Herron, rhp (Cardinals)
    14. Brian Kirwan, rhp (Twins)
    *15. Alex Burnett, rhp (Twins)
    16. Justin Edwards, lhp (White Sox)
    17. Ronald Ramirez, ss/2b (Astros)
    18. Yohermyn Chavez, of (Blue Jays)
    19. Nevin Ashley, c (Devil Rays)
    20. Sergio Sevrino, lhp (Astros)
    Josh Thole played for Kingsport that season, but I'm sure we could come up with more notable names from other teams they missed on. Rookie leagues are the hardest to evaluate for obvious enough reasons.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-21-2011 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Rookie leagues are the hardest to evaluate for obvious enough reasons.
    Yes, but this is also what scares me some about using very high draft picks on guys like Nimmo. Justin O'Connor last year was a guy the Mets apparently liked a lot. They could have easily taken him over Matt Harvey, and it really wouldn't have been any bigger a surprise than Nimmo over Sonny Gray, Jed Bradley, and Matt Barnes.

vCash
    Just so people know, this isn't the top prospects in MLB.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast