Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

coaches decision made!

Mookie, Hale, Obie & Debus will NOT return
    posted on October 5th, 2011 at 3:18 pm The Mets today announced that Bench Coach Ken Oberkfell, Third Base Coach Chip Hale, First Base Coach Mookie Wilson and Bullpen Coach Jon Debus will not return to the major league club for the 2012 season.

Hale has signed a two year deal to become the bench coach for the Oakland A’s.

Tim Teufel will take over as Third Base Coach and Ricky Bones will become Bullpen Coach. Hitting Coach Dave Hudgens and Pitching Coach Dan Warthen will return to the staff in the same positions next year.

According to the press release, Hale declined an offer to stay so he could pursue another Major League coaching opportunity.

Wilson and Debus will be offered other positions within the organizations

Why Warthen i staying is beyond me. The guy has not done anything good since getting here. And him with the young kids terrifies me. Remember what he did to maine?

vCash
    Ricky Bones in the bullpen is quite telling.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Mookie ain't getting it done.. oh well.. it was nice to see him out there this year none the less. Good luck Mook!

Well nice to see if changes need to made, SA will make the necessary changes.

vCash
    chip hale was great

vCash
    What was Mookie not getting done? Outfield alignment?, getting guys to steal more?

I guess if Backman stays with the team he will go to AAA?

Hudgens did better with a better cast of characters, so hopefully Warthen will shine next year when the Mets assemble a better pitching staff.

vCash
    Mookie definitely wasn't getting it done as first base coach. He did a horrible job at telling the batter-runners to turn left.

"Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    so who's the bench coach now?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Mookie definitely wasn't getting it done as first base coach. He did a horrible job at telling the batter-runners to turn left.

can't tell if sarcasm, or seriousness

vCash
    Mookie? Really??

I can't understand that one.

I'd like to believe Alderson is cutting the cord with the 86 Mets (something I think this organization needs to do no matter how much I loved that team). But then he puts the Teufel Shuffle at 3rd base.

Anyone know what qualifies as not getting the job done as 1st base coach???
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I'm pretty disappointed that Warthen is back, but glad to see Bones get a shot with the big league club.
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Mookie? Really??

I can't understand that one.

I'd like to believe Alderson is cutting the cord with the 86 Mets (something I think this organization needs to do no matter how much I loved that team). But then he puts the Teufel Shuffle at 3rd base.

Anyone know what qualifies as not getting the job done as 1st base coach???
    Is funny that before Minaya I remember the Mets not really paying any homage to the 86 Mets and in all they rarely even recognize their own legacy, then it seems that they may have over done it with giving these guys jobs because it seems that just about every Met from that team has worked for the organization in some form.

vCash
    Bones being the bullpen coach has got to be a huge shot across the bow to Dan Warthen.

vCash
    A little surprised with some of the moves.

I expected Hale to leave as it's been rumored for a while that he was heading to Oakland. I'm fine with Teufel being the 3rd base coach. He's moved through the levels in the minors and I think he's ready to help out at the major league level.

I'm not too surprised they rather a pitching coach or someone who knows pitching very well in the bullpen compared to Debus. I do like Ricky Bones as the bullpen coach. He's drawn a lot of praise the past couple of year so I like that move.

I'm a little surprised Mookie is gone. Maybe they weren't happy with his teaching of the outfield defense? Not sure, but it sounds like they still want him back in the organization.

I'm a little surprised Obie is gone. I'm curious to see who takes his place.

I think Backman moves up to AAA. He's been moving through the minors as well and so he's now up to AAA after managing AA last year. Someone made a good point ,that I read on Metsblog, that Backman managed both Harvey and Familia in AA and both of them will most likely be in AAA at some point next year so it's probably good to keep them together as he already knows them and has a relationship with them and knows how they pitch. So, that could have played into their decision to move him to AAA, if that happens.

I'm also ok with Hudgens and Warthen coming back. I think Hudgens did a very nice job with the offense this year and I think Warthen will have the pitchers pitching better if they get him better talent.
    Last edited by NYman15; 10-05-2011 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    Imma miss you chip

vCash
    I liked Hale, that's all I care about. I wish Warthen was gone just to make NQ happy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast