Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Syracuse and Pitt in talks with the ACC

Syracuse University and the University of Pittsburgh, two bedrock members of the Big East Conference, are engaged in talks about joining the Atlantic Coast Conference, according to a person with direct knowledge of the talks.

No one from Pittsburgh, Syracuse or the A.C.C. denied the conversations were taking place. Officials from all three entities declined to comment on the matter.

The person with knowledge of the talks declined to speculate on a timetable or the seriousness of the discussions. But in this delicate time for conferences and their futures, the discussions between the 12-team A.C.C. and two Big East members are significant.

The discussions show how the trend toward 16-team super conferences, which has concerned many college athletic officials, appears to be inching closer to reality. If Syracuse and Pittsburgh switch, the move will be difficult for the Big East to overcome.

Syracuse is a founding member, and Pittsburgh joined the league in 1982, three years after it formed.

The Pittsburgh chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, who is widely credited with saving the Big East after Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech moved to the A.C.C. in the early 2000s, twice declined comment when reached at his home.

Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross, when reached on his cellphone in Los Angeles, where the Orange will play Southern California on Saturday, also declined to comment. “I can’t comment on that,” Gross said. “Maybe that’s even too much to say.”

“We’ve been dealing with the fluidity of the conference landscape on multiple levels for a week,” said Amy Yakola, the A.C.C.’s associate commissioner for public relations and marketing, “and at this point we wouldn’t be able to comment on speculation.”

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto declined comment when reached on his cellphone.

Jim Boeheim, the longtime Syracuse basketball coach, said Friday night, “I wouldn’t be surprised by anything, but I don’t know anything right now.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sp...r=1&ref=sports

vCash
    texas, pitt, the orangemen, and texas tech/kansas?
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh

vCash
    It's looking like they'll be members...
    http://twitter.com/#!/ChipBrownOB/st...41674015014912

vCash

vCash
    UCF before a Big 12 School.

vCash
    Would make it a dominant basketball conference but certainly not the football powerhouses some were hoping for (though Pitt is alright). I will say they do fit in with the academic emphasis we put on the conference. Hopefully these two do lead to the "big fish" though.

vCash
    It's official according to ESPN. And apparently we are going to add two more teams too. Rumors say it could be Rutgers, UCONN, Texas, Kansas.

vCash
    Thinking you'll see UConn and one of USF/UCF/Rutgers as the two that get us to 16. With what's been done, UConn makes way too much sense not to get done. The possibility of Texas joining is fading quick, and without them, I see no reason to expand westward with teams like Kansas. Missouri is an 11 hour drive from the westernmost school, Georgia Tech, and Kansas is a 14 hour drive. They make zero sense for the conference going forward, without Texas of course.

vCash
    We'll have to wait a few years though. http://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT/...55071946211328

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Thinking you'll see UConn and one of USF/UCF/Rutgers as the two that get us to 16. With what's been done, UConn makes way too much sense not to get done. The possibility of Texas joining is fading quick, and without them, I see no reason to expand westward with teams like Kansas. Missouri is an 11 hour drive from the westernmost school, Georgia Tech, and Kansas is a 14 hour drive. They make zero sense for the conference going forward, without Texas of course.
    I agree that UCONN should get in and they want to get in as well. But it's going tough for them because BC is going to go all out to not allow UCONN into the ACC.

vCash
    miami and FSU wont want usf/fiu/ucf into the conference at all imo
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh