Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

West Virginia files to join the SEC

According to a sourced report by Colin Dunlap, the West Virginia Mountaineers have already "sent paperwork" to the SEC. Dunlap was the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Pittsburgh Pirates beat writer whom you may remember as the guy Bill Stewart tried to sic on Dana Holgorsen. He now works for CBS' Pittsburgh affiliate.

If the report is true, that could mean WVU is in. Nobody sends paperwork in this situation unless they're sure the paperwork will achieve its desired result. If the report is true, of course.

Some have speculated the ACC's decision to quickly pick up the Syracuse Orange and Pittsburgh Panthers was accelerated by an impending move by WVU to the SEC. Since the SEC grabbing the Eers would destabilize the Big East, the ACC may have seen no reason to wait and give the Big Ten a chance to sample any Big East teams for itself. Some have speculated.

When SEC expansion noise was last a thing, WVU, the Missouri Tigers and the Virginia Tech Hokies were the most commonly mentioned teams, with the Louisville Cardinals, Florida St. Seminoles and others also earning quieter murmurings.
    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...-football-2011

Marcus Mariota

I can't wait until this is all over with.

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I can't wait until this is all over with.
    I hope for your sake that Iowa State finds a good home in all of this. Ultimately some schools will lose out, it's inevitable.

i'm cool with adding texas a&m and WVU... two pretty solid, consistent football programs to the toughest conference in the land
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Just like A&M, I get this from the money standpoint, but from a competitive stand point it is suicide IMO. They pretty much run the Big East in football. In the SEC they will be lucky to hang with the Georgia's, the Tennessee's, and the Mississippi St's IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    Just like A&M, I get this from the money standpoint, but from a competitive stand point it is suicide IMO. They pretty much run the Big East in football. In the SEC they will be lucky to hang with the Georgia's, the Tennessee's, and the Mississippi St's IMO.
    I guess we'll see this weekend when LSU visits West Virginia!

The rumor is that Missouri and another coastal team are expected to become #15 and 16 this week.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The rumor is that Missouri and another coastal team are expected to become #15 and 16 this week.
    I have doubts another coastal team would be plucked from the ACC now given what is going on with the ACC expansion. Rutgers? USF? hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    Yeah, but very few respect Big East football. If you aspire to be a great football school, then it is best to play against great competition. Plus the Big East was falling apart anyways.

As for A&M, that move was based on stability. From purely a competition standpoint I agree with you.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I mentioned Rutgers before I noticed this!

Rutgers won’t be shut out and will be in a good spot when the merry-go-round of conference realignments reaches a conclusion.

Speaking on a conference call late Sunday afternoon, athletic director Tim Pernetti said the New Brunswick-based university was not surprised when fellow Big East Conference members Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced during the weekend they were jumping to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Pernetti says Rutgers has been involved in talks with other conferences for a while and it will continue to be a player in the changing landscape of college conferences. The second-year AD refused to say whether Rutgers would remain in a remodeled Big East, adding the university would base its final decision on what is best for the school.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1YNUAgw6V

What do you think?

Assuming Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State all go to the pac-12 and the ACC adds Rutgers and UConn and none choose to defect to the SEC (a very real possibility since they unanimously voted to increase the exit fee; a good sign of unity), who do the SEC and Big-10 get to go to 16?

The big-10 will be at 12 and the SEC at 14 (with West Virginia).

The Big East remnants are Cincy, Louisville, USF. The Big-12 remnants are Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor. The big names in non-BCS conferences are TCU, Boise St, Notre Dame, BYU.

Who would the SEC or Big-10 want?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Assuming Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State all go to the pac-12 and the ACC adds Rutgers and UConn and none choose to defect to the SEC (a very real possibility since they unanimously voted to increase the exit fee; a good sign of unity), who do the SEC and Big-10 get to go to 16?

The big-10 will be at 12 and the SEC at 14 (with West Virginia).

The Big East remnants are Cincy, Louisville, USF. The Big-12 remnants are Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor. The big names in non-BCS conferences are TCU, Boise St, Notre Dame, BYU.

Who would the SEC or Big-10 want?
    I'm about 90% certain that Missouri comes to the SEC as the 15th team there is alot of talk about that here on local sports radio. That 16th team though is the question because in order to keep from crazy alignment changes it needs to be an eastern team. But there are issues with all the teams that make sense.

Florida State, Maryland, Virginia Tech and Clemson all have been mentioned and make sense. However the ACC increased the cost of programs to leave the conference up to $20 million seemingly making it unlikely these schools leave but then again the SEC is loaded and could pay it for a Florida State or Virginia Tech.

You have Rutgers, TCU, Louisville and USF. Rutgers seemingly doesn't make any sense just from a geographic and logistics perspective. Then with TCU, Louisville and USF you have them joining with other in-state schools already in the conference. I don't think Texas A&M would like the fact that they joined the conference as the only SEC school from Texas only to see them add TCU. That and Florida is one of the teams that has a right to veto any addition of a school from their state. I don't think Kentucky would be thrilled about adding Louisville either....

Maybe they could add Missouri and Kansas and move either Auburn or Alabama to the SEC East? That not only would get them to 16 teams but also improve the SEC basketball as well.

Marcus Mariota