Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Intetional Pass Interference.

Can anyone re-call any Intentional PI call, on the defense?

I was having a debate with my friend and he thinks it's a stupid question. The question being, if it's the 4th Q, 5 seconds left and my team is up by 7 and on defense, why can't I(a CB) grab a WR's jersey who has clearly beaten me and is exactly within arms reach and just take the 15 yd penalty and then end the game?

His argument is that nobody would ever do that because they would punished due to an unwritten rule that you must play fair. I say that's BS and that NCAA needs to change the PI call to spot of the foul like in the NFL.

Anybody help? What's the ruling on it(is there any punishment for it) and can you guys recall any play like this?

Quote Originally Posted by krisxsong View Post
    Can anyone re-call any Intentional PI call, on the defense?

I was having a debate with my friend and he thinks it's a stupid question. The question being, if it's the 4th Q, 5 seconds left and my team is up by 7 and on defense, why can't I(a CB) grab a WR's jersey who has clearly beaten me and is exactly within arms reach and just take the 15 yd penalty and then end the game?

His argument is that nobody would ever do that because they would punished due to an unwritten rule that you must play fair. I say that's BS and that NCAA needs to change the PI call to spot of the foul like in the NFL.

Anybody help? What's the ruling on it(is there any punishment for it) and can you guys recall any play like this?
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think a game can end on a defensive penalty. but i've seen intentional PI's. not toward the end of the game, but when the defender was clearly beat and it would've lead to a TD....the db grabbed the wr's jersey.

i say that's a smart penalty.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

The game can't end on a defensive penalty. So, there would be an untimed down. It is a smart play though. It is always better to take the penalty and make the offense beat you again than to give up a tying/winning score as the clock expires IMO.

Yeah there would be another play. And if it happened in the end zone it would be from the 1 yard line.

I can't think of a scenario were it would happen away from the endzone since teams would be playing a deep zone probably if they weren't close

I know what he is saying and have brought this up with my friends before as well. If you are up 7 or 8 points and know it is the last play of the game and are fairly certain you can't stop the guy from making the catch then I could understand this strategy. Because then yeah they have the ball on the goal but only have one down to punch it in and even if they do then it is gonna be a tied game.

Marcus Mariota

Stanford just did this as the half ended. The announcers called it "playing smart football". The receiver was open and had his man beat to the endzone. The Stanford CB dove and took out his arm before the ball arrived. 15 yards, untimed down to finish the half. It saved 7 points and the FG attempt on the untimed down was missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Stanford just did this as the half ended. The announcers called it "playing smart football". The receiver was open and had his man beat to the endzone. The Stanford CB dove and took out his arm before the ball arrived. 15 yards, untimed down to finish the half. It saved 7 points and the FG attempt on the untimed down was missed.
    It happened in the Vanderbilt vs Ole Miss game as well. The Vanderbilt receiver had his guy beat and was gonna have a wide open path for a touchdown after the catch and the defender just dove and swatted his legs. Instead of the announcers calling it smart football they talked about how it was a garbage rule and should be a spot foul because it cost Vanderbilt about 15-20 yards.

They also brought up something that I think would be the way to go in those instances is having a different penalty whether they deem it is intentional or incidental but you don't want the refs to make any more judgement calls then they already have to make in games.

Marcus Mariota