Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    This was discussed on-air, probably on the radio. I think it was Howie who said he talked to Parnell about throwing a change-up and Bobby basically said that he can't do it. He has tried repeatedly in the past, but it is impossible for him -- something about he couldn't do it without slowing down his arm speed (which is a giveaway) no matter what grip he used.
    I have no idea and you're probably right. It just seems like a changup is the pitch of choice right now…so many pitchers seem to have one.

Parnell needs something else.

I hate to bring up ancient history; but when I see him struggling while being able to throw 100 mph, I keep thinking back to the old Koufax story. When he eased up a bit he got control and became more effective (an understatement for Koufax).

Parnell won't last in MLB like this.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Parnell is not going to succeed with this PC, nor will anyone else. So either get an entirely new rotation or a quality PC. Which is easier? I can think of 3 PC's available this offseason, 2 who have proven themselves quality already,Peterson and Wallace, or Bones from the minors.

For you Peterson haters, his staff with the Mets never had an ERA+ below 100, Warthen is on pace to have 2 below 92 in his 3 years here. Peterson actually increased the Oakland A's ERA+ by 13 points in his first year even though he was named PC only a week before the season.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    I have no idea and you're probably right. It just seems like a changup is the pitch of choice right now…so many pitchers seem to have one.

Parnell needs something else.

I hate to bring up ancient history; but when I see him struggling while being able to throw 100 mph, I keep thinking back to the old Koufax story. When he eased up a bit he got control and became more effective (an understatement for Koufax).

Parnell won't last in MLB like this.
    I was waiting for someone to make the Koufax analogy. Koufax also had a mofo curve ball. When people use the word mofo in conjunction with Parnell's slider, it's in a completely different context.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    Parnell is not going to succeed with this PC, nor will anyone else. So either get an entirely new rotation or a quality PC. Which is easier? I can think of 3 PC's available this offseason, 2 who have proven themselves quality already,Peterson and Wallace, or Bones from the minors.

For you Peterson haters, his staff with the Mets never had an ERA+ below 100, Warthen is on pace to have 2 below 92 in his 3 years here. Peterson actually increased the Oakland A's ERA+ by 13 points in his first year even though he was named PC only a week before the season.
    So Parnell is all about Warthen?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I think you've been spending too much time in church.
    uhh what?
    There are no men like me, only me.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    So Parnell is all about Warthen?
    The better question is why do you continue to be so reluctant to investigate the possibility that someone else could do the job better? I could be wrong but it comes across as you having too much invested in this debate to desire a positive outcome by changing PC's.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Im sure Parnell has tried a change up many times. It could really help him, but it sounds like he can't do it. I hope Parnell can bounce back after a few bad games. This is his chance to become the closer of the future and so far he hasn't taken advantage of that opportunity.

vCash
    I don't know why Parnell hasn't tried a palm ball. It's basically the same thing as a changeup anyways.

vCash
    They need to teach this kid a cutter or 2-seamer

vCash
    I think he has a 2 seamer, he just doesn't use it and I don't know why he doesn't. I've seen him throw some FB's at 94-95 mph that had a ton of movement just like a 2 seamer. It looked like a really nasty pitch that he could get a ton of grounders on.

And a cutter would definitely be beneficial for him. It could definitely help pitch in against lefties and break away from right handers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYman15 View Post
    I think he has a 2 seamer, he just doesn't use it and I don't know why he doesn't. I've seen him throw some FB's at 94-95 mph that had a ton of movement just like a 2 seamer. It looked like a really nasty pitch that he could get a ton of grounders on.

And a cutter would definitely be beneficial for him. It could definitely help pitch in against lefties and break away from right handers.
    Better to throw 93-96 with movement, than throw 100 without it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    The better question is why do you continue to be so reluctant to investigate the possibility that someone else could do the job better? I could be wrong but it comes across as you having too much invested in this debate to desire a positive outcome by changing PC's.
    Nah.

Actually, I'd be surprised if Warthen is kept on much longer than next season if he isn't let go sooner, not so much because he's a horrible pitching coach but that pitching coaches on losing teams just have short shelf lives. It's the nature of the business.

Sure, maybe another pitching coach can come along and shoot Parnell with a magic bullet and turn him into the next Trevor Hoffman. I just don't think that's very likely.

That's why I see this as a Parnell issue rather than a Warthen issue. But reasonable people can disagree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I don't know why Parnell hasn't tried a palm ball. It's basically the same thing as a changeup anyways.
    Some guys just have toruble learning a new pitch.

IMO though Parnell's biggest problem is location, this has been the case even in the minors His command has never been great to begin with.

vCash
    Parnell would benefit from watching tapes of guys like Rob Dibble and pitchers like that who threw 100 mph but also had an off speed pitch to go with it, the off speed pitch doesnt have to be thrown for strikes, but if used right, the fastball would look even faster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Some guys just have toruble learning a new pitch.

IMO though Parnell's biggest problem is location, this has been the case even in the minors His command has never been great to begin with.
    If he had a pitch that fooled hitters more he would be ok. Problem is he walks one and gives up a hit nearly every inning now. His WHIP is not good and even with all those strikeouts when he gets hit he gives up runs.

The problem with guys who throw gas, gas and more gas is they rarely get people completely fooled. So sure he strikesout one guy but the next two have already seen all of his pitches so they know there is nothing slow coming. You need to change speeds and the batters eye level in this league to get the job done day after day, or learn a cutter and be the next Mariano.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast