Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Mets are a horrible team Parnell should get all the chances in the world to become a starter
    they tried that in 09 and he was even worse. no thank you

vCash
    The Mets' new closer Bobby Parnell showcases a four-seam fastball that averages in the high 97s and often breaks 100. But results wise - as seen in the actual run values on the pitch - it really has not been impressive this year. But this appears to be mainly the result of bad luck, in fact the worst in baseball on a per pitch basis for a 4-seam fastball. Expect results to change.
    Nice to see that his numbers will improve.
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...year#storyjump

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Yeah, its a positive sign. Its a big month for Parnell. Hopefully, he makes the most of his opportunity.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Nice to see that his numbers will improve.
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...year#storyjump
    Niese number one amongst cutters as well.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    I don't expect anything to change. He has no feel for pitching IMO, throwing 100 MPH darts down the middle does no good, I expect it to get hit hard every time. '

If Parnell had some soft stuff, it would be filthy, but he does not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paletsgomets View Post
    Saves are the dumbest stat in baseball, yes he has saved 5 out of 6, but 4 of them games he had a 3 run lead, I would hope any pitcher in baseball would save a game with a 3 run lead, the only game he had a 1 run lead, he lost, so lets see how he does down the stretch with 1 run leads
    It seems everytime Parnell pitches he puts runners on. Even when he gets the save its because he has a cushion. I said before they ever made him the closer that I prefer a guy show some dominace as a relief guy before he gets promoted.

We had some posters here who fell in love with the radar gun and ignored reality. 103 MPH means **** against MLB hitters. Sure he can throw his fastball past lesser guys, but you do not face lesser guys every time you pitch. Good hitters can hit him and until he gets an idea of how to pitch and not just throw he will continue to get hammered.

Pale I know we do not always agree but on parnell I believe we are of like mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532 View Post
    You have to give him a chance. We've seen him dominate before. I don't see much to lose in just letting close the last month and letting him compete for the spot in Spring Training next year. With experience and confidence, he can be a very good closer in my opinion, and at a very cheap price.

Another thing to remember is Parnell has actually been pretty unlucky this year. His FIP and xFIP are almost a full run lower than his ERA and his BABIP is at .350. Things will get better for him. Again, experience and confidence.
    I think a pitcher like Parnell just proves that FIP and XFIP do not tell the whole story. Life is about results. Parnell fails too much to be a closer, so far. But then his results as a set up guy were not good enough to earn a promotion anyway.

People always claim luck or unlucky with BABIP, how can every guy with a high BABIP as a pitcher be unlucky? In order to have an average BABIP you need a high and a low, some guys are going to provide the high end all the time. Parnells WHIP says he is always putting guys on base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Mets are a horrible team Parnell should get all the chances in the world to become a starter
    Maybe he can play LF too.

vCash
    I'm sure he's tried it but a change up or splitter would help Parnell tremendously. With his 100 mph FB, if you could drop in a change up or splitter, it would really help him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYman15 View Post
    I'm sure he's tried it but a change up or splitter would help Parnell tremendously. With his 100 mph FB, if you could drop in a change up or splitter, it would really help him.
    The problem with the splitter is too many pitchers fail to throw it for strikes. Sure it gets some outs when you first use it since no is ready for it, but then they lay off it when they come to realize its never in the strike zone. I think that is a big reason it has become a lesser used pitch the last few years.

A Change up could make Parnell deadly, but control is the key. If he can not get strikes it does not matter what you throw. The only pitcher i can recall who never put a ball over the plate and was still good was John Franco.

Maybe if he slowed down the FB and got more movement he would be good, right now guys sit on his FB and no matter how hard he throws it MLB hitters can catch up to it.

vCash
    Parnell should slow down his slider, and throw it around 83, that would help him. He needs more separation of velocity between his fastball and slider.

97-100 fastball and 88-91 slider is not much of a difference.

vCash
    I'm ok with Parnell throwing his FB at 99-100 mph at times but I also want to see him use his 2 seamer more with it being around 94-96 mph with some more movement and mix in the slider. And I do agree a change up would be more beneficial than a splitter and if he could throw it for strikes, he would be deadly.

vCash
    Letting him close this month can't hurt. He's never gonna be a starter and, he's never gonna be a closer. He's got a lot of potential, can't deny that but, he's too eratic. He's young so, there's plenty of time to try and mold him out into something better. He needs to work on a new pitch and control and he'll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Letting him close this month can't hurt. He's never gonna be a starter and, he's never gonna be a closer. He's got a lot of potential, can't deny that but, he's too eratic. He's young so, there's plenty of time to try and mold him out into something better. He needs to work on a new pitch and control and he'll be fine.
    If he will never be a closer or a starter what do you mold him into? Mediocre middle relief?

EDIT: He is 27 in 2 days. That is not old but it is about the time we should start to see if he has a chance to be something or not. You only get so many chances and so far he has not done much with the ones he has. The potential though should get him a couple more years of chances before he would be dumped.
    Last edited by GoNyMetsGo; 09-06-2011 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNyMetsGo View Post
    If he will never be a closer or a starter what do you mold him into? Mediocre middle relief?
    That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast