Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We've gone through this before, I said he was discouraging me in June when he first got called up because he was getting rocked in garbage time.

I knew Manny was capable of pitching the way he has, I don't care if you like him or not. He is getting the job done in clutch situations, in all situations actually, and Terry has a ton of faith in him now.

vCash
    You have a month to see if you can count on Parnell and that is what Collins is going to do.

Acosta is proving himself a good possible set up man.

Like Collins said you can't just go changing your mind after one guy does bad and try another guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    We've gone through this before, I said he was discouraging me in June when he first got called up because he was getting rocked in garbage time.

I knew Manny was capable of pitching the way he has, I don't care if you like him or not. He is getting the job done in clutch situations, in all situations actually, and Terry has a ton of faith in him now.
    Who hasn't discouraged you? More importantly, who will discourage you next?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    You have a month to see if you can count on Parnell and that is what Collins is going to do.

Acosta is proving himself a good possible set up man.

Like Collins said you can't just go changing your mind after one guy does bad and try another guy.
    You know, I get that. It really doesnt matter if Parnell closes the rest of the year. The only thing it will cost us is a .500 record and heck, it might even help us get a better draft pick.

But Parnell just isn't closer material. Truth be told, he wasnt all that great a set up man. He'll have stretches where he'll look good but he just puts too many men on base to ever be a good closer. And as dunbummin said, the man is 26 and he's been in the majors since 2008. He ain't got it.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    No.

He aint Heath Bell.

He aint ever gonna be Heath Bell.

Hell, he's more like Archie Bell and the Drells, famous for their song "Tighten Up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRozWFKJph8

Time to go to plan B.
    What's your plan B?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash

Welcome to the world of a relief pitcher.

In 9 out of 10 cases a relief pitcher is someone who does not pitch well enough to start. Welcome to Bobby Parnells world. We knew what he was and we knew he could be good and bad. Except yesterday was a bad day. He might make it someday as a very capable reliever, but his last couple years have been nothing short of inconsistent. Acosta too is extremely inconsistent, currently riding the high. Thats why one of SA prime jobs this winter is build a better consistent bullpen, Bobby might be included but Izzy will not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    In 9 out of 10 cases a relief pitcher is someone who does not pitch well enough to start.
    In most cases a guy ends up a reliever because he only has two pitches he can throw well. There are also guys that can throw a lot more heat when they throw 20-30 pitches at a time instead of 100+. In Parnell's case, he was way more effective as a reliever because he added more than a couple of MPH to his fastball.

The Mets need a lot more arms. I don't think their bullpen problems start, or end, with Bobby Parnell. I'm not sure that he's a future closer, but I think it would be typical Mets to use that to talk themselves into thinking they don't need guys like him.

What it boils down to is, whether or not he is their future closer, they could still use 5 more guys like him.
    Last edited by Sandman; 09-04-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    **** justin verlander and **** colin hanks for kind of looking like him.

vCash
    I'm not sure if Parmell is the closer of the future but its way too early for me to say he can't close. He blew 1 save. He was 4 for 4 before that. Way too early for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I'm not a big Acosta fan either but I'm curious to see what he can do as a closer. Parnell has shown zero improvement since his ML debut in 2008. That's a ton more time than was afforded Bell.
    This just isnt true.
    His strikeouts have been steadily improving at a significant rate every year and are now over 10k/9IP.

He was pretty crappy in 2009 and made HUGE improvements cutting his ERA and FIP almost in half in 2010.

Even this year his FIP is 3.33, sub 3 SIERA and low 3 tERA.
    That isnt bad at all and much better than when he first came up.

he pitched all of 5 innings in 2008..
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 09-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.

vCash
    In the post game, Bobby O said basically the same thing. That Parnell has NO idea what he's doing out there, does not "miss bats", and was an extremely poor choice for the closing role. He also said that Acosta should get a chance. Love Bobby O. He doesn't mince words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    In the post game, Bobby O said basically the same thing. That Parnell has NO idea what he's doing out there, does not "miss bats", and was an extremely poor choice for the closing role. He also said that Acosta should get a chance. Love Bobby O. He doesn't mince words.
    Bobby O was wrong the moment he said Parnell doesn't miss bats. He's striking out over 10 batters per 9 innings! That's 18th in the majors among all pitchers, right up along side K-Rod, Kerry Wood, and Jonny Venters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Bobby O was wrong the moment he said Parnell doesn't miss bats. He's striking out over 10 batters per 9 innings! That's 18th in the majors among all pitchers, right up along side K-Rod, Kerry Wood, and Jonny Venters.
    True, however he was probably referring to Parnell's H/IP ratio of 9.9/9 this season -- though there was a discussion as to whether this is exagerrated because he is "unlucky". Beats me.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Parnell's K rate suggest that he can be a closer, his H/9 rate suggest guys make too much good contact when they hit him.

He culd be an effective closer with both of these things continuing to be the case, but he has to walk less batters and in yesterdays case walking the 2nd batter is what really hurt him.

vCash
    I want to see more of Parnell's two seamer that he whipped out earlier this year. That thing was nasty.

vCash
    this is his 1st run at closer. nice to see another overreaction thread. this season is lost, so we are seeing what we have for the future. Parnell is one of those pieces n should improve from his mistakes like this past blown save.

Welcome to the Future

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast