Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    vCash
    Yes a one to always preach patience and people are always ready to just give up on a kid that does not do great from the get go.

...at the same time I want to see what he can do with this new pitch because many times a kid learns a new pitch and after a few months or weeks teams adjust and the pitcher has a hard time adjusting himself again.

I wanted Parnell to get a shot to close, he got a slim one and he did not fare well, perhaps he is best suited to be a 7th inning guy and am ok with that too. I do think he will be a guy that will be a key cog for the Mets pen for years to come.

vCash
    Agreed. Its very early but as of right now, its looking like they could have Parnell as the 7th inning man, Acosta as the 8th inning man and then they sign someone to be the closer. Obviously, a lot can change, but I could see this scenario ending up being the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The one main reson to keep a guy like Izzy is if you truly believe he can be effective still and that is it. To keep guys because he can teach younger guys something is something the Mets have have done many times when they signed old guys like Franco and guys like Cora and they just ended up being guys that while they help younger guys with how to handle themselves the team suffer because of their lack of production.

It is great that Izzy can help Parnell learn a new pitch, but that is no reason for him to get a job as part of the pen next year, he should sta only if he can be effective once again.
    Agreed - I'm not about to recommend the Mets sign a coach at a player's price. For the right amount, though, Izzy could have a role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IlikeIke View Post
    Things like this always sound great. But before we can be sure, we have to see how it looks after hitters have a chance to adjust to it.
    Indeed, and welcome to PSD. Post more often.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IlikeIke View Post
    Things like this always sound great. But before we can be sure, we have to see how it looks after hitters have a chance to adjust to it.
    You're right. So we will have to wait until 2012.

BTW: Welcome to the forums!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think this new pitch can make him a beast, it will get hitters off his fastball.
    Agreed. I think this could help, but as I've mentioned before I'd like to see him learn a splitter. That could make him unhittable.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Agreed. I think this could help, but as I've mentioned before I'd like to see him learn a splitter. That could make him unhittable.
    I believe Putz tried to teach him the splitter a few years back.

vCash
    Meh, the splitter doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Very few pitchers can throw the pitch effectively for an extended period of time. The cutter is the pitch of this era.

If Parnell can throw this knuckle-curve low 80's and his fastball upper 90's, that is a 15 MPH differential which is huge.

vCash
    Thought that was Maine. Parnell wasn't around much when Putz was here.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Meh, the splitter doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Very few pitchers can throw the pitch effectively for an extended period of time. The cutter is the pitch of this era.

If Parnell can throw this knuckle-curve low 80's and his fastball upper 90's, that is a 15 MPH differential which is huge.
    Exactly. Hitters learned long ago that few pitchers throw the splitter for strikes. Once they recognize it loses its effectiveness. See pelfrey last season.

The problem with a knuckle curve and the speed difference is that speed changes work best when thrown with a similar motion. A Knuckle curve might be good for him but the speed change will not be what fools hitters, movement will be.
    Wilpons please release the fans from prison and SELL THIS TEAM. Bring back Paulies Girls. Please do not let prudes and hypocrites ruin some fun. PSD is an adult site, adults should not be offended by sexy women in small clothing.

vCash
    Yeah, the cutter seems to be the new pitch that everyone loves. But for Parnell the best pitch for him is a change up or a curve thats in the low 80's. I hope he can use this knuckle curve effectively. It can really help him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNyMetsGo View Post
    Exactly. Hitters learned long ago that few pitchers throw the splitter for strikes. Once they recognize it loses its effectiveness. See pelfrey last season.

The problem with a knuckle curve and the speed difference is that speed changes work best when thrown with a similar motion. A Knuckle curve might be good for him but the speed change will not be what fools hitters, movement will be.
    Also splitters that are thrown for strikes usually get bombed.

I actually think the speed of the knuckle-curve will fool hitters, he still uses his slider grip so the movement should still be good enough to get outs.

vCash
    If Parnell can continue to throw the slower knuckle curve for strikes, it will be very difficult for hitters to adjust since they'll no longer be able to sit on his heat.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I was just about to post this. I'll withold judement until I see some sustained success with the knuckle-curve.

We saw that batters caught on quickly to Pelfrey's splitter last year. His K rates were better than usual at the beginning of the season and then guys started to lay off of it because they knew it was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Thought that was Maine. Parnell wasn't around much when Putz was here.
    It was definitely Putz. Maine never threw a splitter.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=331413
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    By the way, I'm glad to see Putz is having a bounce back year. He's battled a lot of injuries the past few years. Glad to see he's back on track.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415