Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    vCash
    Well, we've brought it up in here before, maybe Parnell should work on throwing a slurve or curve instead of maybe using his slider and it was just reported he's been working with Izzy on a knuckle curve, the pitch that Izzy used when he came up as a Met. He used it a few times tonight and got a few swings and misses. Who knows, maybe he comes into spring training next year with a good curve. Never know, it could be that 2nd good, consistent pitch he's been looking for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Well, FoC, I think I have tio finally wave the whit flag on Parnell and agree that Parnell is not the awnswer as THE closer.

I don't believe we should dispose of him, but he has shown enough for me to evaluate that he is just not ready.

Perhaps with more seasoning he might be the guy. But let's face it yoy, me and many posters are tired of seeing us lose.

I don't want to wait till 2013/14/15 to contend for the World Series.
    More seasoning? There aren't enough jars of Garlic Powder in all of Little Italy to give this guy enough seasoning.

At some point you have to say that a guy's gonna be what he's gonna be.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    ~7 innings w/ 0 ER in a row including a save today

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    ~7 innings w/ 0 ER in a row including a save today
    Needs to show a lot more than that. And while he gave up 2 unearned runs those were pretty poor runs to give up in that game. Parnell has simply failed to impress. He has been so bad he is forcing the GM to go looking outside for a closer.

vCash
    Parnell's WHIP is 1.56. That is terrible, it's time to pitch better.

vCash
    I'm hoping he can just finish the year strong. Not even so he is looked at the next closer, but just for his confidence. Let him finish the year strong and go into the offseason feeling good.

vCash

New pitch, new pitcher?

So today he pitched to six batters, got them all out. And now I'm hearing he learned a knuckle-curve from Jason Isringhausen, and that he's able to throw it effectively for strikes unlike a traditional curve ball, which Howie Rose said he was gripping the same as he would his slider.

Nornally I wouldnt be impressed with this occasional short term success. He's done that many times, only to revert back to his inconsistent self.

But I admit, now I'm intrigued. Anyone think this knuckle curve could turn him into the real deal we've been waiting to see since 2008 or is this just one more time when we'll be deceived?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I think this new pitch can make him a beast, it will get hitters off his fastball.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    So today he pitched to six batters, got them all out. And now I'm hearing he learned a knuckle-curve from Jason Isringhausen, and that he's able to throw it effectively for strikes unlike a traditional curve ball, which Howie Rose said he was gripping the same as he would his slider.

Nornally I wouldnt be impressed with this occasional short term success. He's done that many times, only to revert back to his inconsistent self.

But I admit, now I'm intrigued. Anyone think this knuckle curve could turn him into the real deal we've been waiting to see since 2008 or is this just one more time when we'll be deceived?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think this new pitch can make him a beast, it will get hitters off his fastball.
    And yes!

C'mon Bobby, get mad and prove yourself. If so, you'll be deadly.
    We Need More Players Like Keith!!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And now I'm hearing he learned a knuckle-curve from Jason Isringhausen, [...]
    He seems to have fun showing the young pitchers how to improve and his help seems to be paying off. That's why I hope they will keep Izzy in the Mets organization after he finished his active career.

vCash
    Everyone agrees he needs another pitch to become effective. It's usually a changeup that pitchers try to develop but Parnell stated that he didn't believe he could throw one. If this knuckle curve works, great. it's a little hard to believe that he could have developed an effective one so quickly; but we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PIITB View Post
    He seems to have fun showing the young pitchers how to improve and his help seems to be paying off. That's why I hope they will keep Izzy in the Mets organization after he finished his active career.
    Juts what I was going to say - players like Izzy have so much value in this department, particularly if a younger player really isn't making a connection with the coaches.

I'm sure this stuff happens so much more than we hear. It's got to have a phenomenal impact on some of the younger players, too. Keep Isringhausen...

vCash
    If he gets the curve over for strikes ,consistently, he can be lights out. He has the great FB, he just needs a secondary pitch that is a little slower to keep hitters off balance. If he comes to ST next year with this pitch, he'll have a chance to have a prominent role in the back of the bullpen.

vCash
    Things like this always sound great. But before we can be sure, we have to see how it looks after hitters have a chance to adjust to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Juts what I was going to say - players like Izzy have so much value in this department, particularly if a younger player really isn't making a connection with the coaches.

I'm sure this stuff happens so much more than we hear. It's got to have a phenomenal impact on some of the younger players, too. Keep Isringhausen...
    The one main reson to keep a guy like Izzy is if you truly believe he can be effective still and that is it. To keep guys because he can teach younger guys something is something the Mets have have done many times when they signed old guys like Franco and guys like Cora and they just ended up being guys that while they help younger guys with how to handle themselves the team suffer because of their lack of production.

It is great that Izzy can help Parnell learn a new pitch, but that is no reason for him to get a job as part of the pen next year, he should sta only if he can be effective once again.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast