Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Bobby Parnell as a closer

No.

He aint Heath Bell.

He aint ever gonna be Heath Bell.

Hell, he's more like Archie Bell and the Drells, famous for their song "Tighten Up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRozWFKJph8

Time to go to plan B.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    No offense FoC, but this thread is ridiculous. One blown save does not mean this guy isn't a closer candidate. K-Rod blew his first save of the year and then went on to save something like the next 20 in a row. Give him at least a couple more chances.

Also, if Lucas Duda didn't blow defensively in the outfield that ball would have been caught and there would have been bases loaded and 2 outs. Even an average RF could have gotten to that ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    No offense FoC, but this thread is ridiculous. One blown save does not mean this guy isn't a closer candidate. K-Rod blew his first save of the year and then went on to save something like the next 20 in a row. Give him at least a couple more chances.

Also, if Lucas Duda didn't blow defensively in the outfield that ball would have been caught and there would have been bases loaded and 2 outs. Even an average RF could have gotten to that ball.
    It's not the one blown save. It's that Parnell doesn't have much movement on his fast ball and can't command his secondary pitches. He gives up too many hits and so his WHIP is up around 1.40. That won't cut it as a major league closer.

Might he improve? Maybe. But at 26 I think it is doubtful. The really big question is not who should close for the Mets for the rest of the year. (Let Parnell continue and see if he can get any better.) The real question is who should the Mets have as their closer in 2012? I don't see anyone on the current active roster who deserves the job, and I don't think anyone in the minors is close enough to be relied upon next year. So we probably need to think free agent.

Resign Frankie? Bell? Nathan? Papelbon? Take a chance on Broxton? There are several possibilities. Most may be too expensive, but maybe the FO will realize if we are to contend we neeed a lights out closer.

And don't blame Duda for tonight's loss. True he is no great shakes as an outfielder. But if he catches that ball the runner on third probably scores the tying run, with the runner on second advancing to third. Chances are we still lose the game. The real problem was Parnell walking the second man he faced.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash

That was the only fastball not on the edges of the strike zone thrown by him the entire inning.
    Well now it's two blown saves, the only two times (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong) he was handed leads less than 3 runs. And in yesterday's game, it wasn't just one fat pitch. He also walked two batters. You can't do that when you're trying to close a 2-run lead.

But this isn't anything new. Again, other than impress on a radar gun, he hasn't done anything in his career to earn a closer's job. He was mediocre as a middle inning reliever and set up man and now he's mediocre as a closer.

It's obvious that if Parnell is our closer after this year, we won't win anything. But Sandy knows that.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Wow,

vCash
    i just saw the highlights after coming home from the movies, and wasnt surprised at all that he blew it. he's had more than enough chances to prove himself and its time for the mets to accept the fact that he is nothing special. time to give beato a shot. if not, go back to izzy. this guy just isnt a closer. he isnt even a good reliever. he's matt lindtrom

vCash
    One blown save?

He's been doing this his entire career. When does it start happening for him?

How many more appearances, innings, etc until we realize the only thing the guy has is an impressive Juggs reading?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    One blown save?

He's been doing this his entire career. When does it start happening for him?

How many more appearances, innings, etc until we realize the only thing the guy has is an impressive Juggs reading?

Exactly.

He had a poor minor career and hasn't developed since.

vCash
    Manny Acosta for closer.

I agree I don't think Parnell will ever be a good closer for us, but like Bell, a change of scenery could help him. This organization has given him plenty of meaningful innings, unlike Bell, so he just might not be that good. Dude is 27 years old.

He lacks pitch-ability and movement on his pitches which explains why he gets hit so hard.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 09-03-2011 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Manny Acosta for closer.

I agree I don't think he'll ever be a good closer, but like Bell, a change of scenery could help him.
    I'm not a big Acosta fan either but I'm curious to see what he can do as a closer. Parnell has shown zero improvement since his ML debut in 2008. That's a ton more time than was afforded Bell.

vCash
    I'm not a big Acosta fan either but I'm curious to see what he can do as a closer. Parnell has shown zero improvement since his ML debut in 2008. That's a ton more time than was afforded Bell.
    I am a big Acosta fan, I was talking about Parnell.

The thing is, this was not a great time for this thread, he gave up a hit, walk, sac bunt and bloop single that should have not ended the game.

Duda needs to stay on his feet and allow one run to score there. A better RF would have caught that ball too.

vCash
    Delete

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This just isnt true.
    His strikeouts have been steadily improving at a significant rate every year and are now over 10k/9IP.

He was pretty crappy in 2009 and made HUGE improvements cutting his ERA and FIP almost in half in 2010.

Even this year his FIP is 3.33, sub 3 SIERA and low 3 tERA.
    That isnt bad at all and much better than when he first came up.

he pitched all of 5 innings in 2008..
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 09-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    This just isnt true.
    His strikeouts have been steadily improving at a significant rate every year and are now over 10k/9IP.

He was pretty crappy in 2009 and made HUGE improvements cutting his ERA and FIP almost in half in 2010.

Even this year his FIP is 3.33, sub 3 SIERA and low 3 tERA.
    That isnt bad at all and much better than when he first came up.

he pitched all of 5 innings in 2008..
    He's worse than than last year because he is walking 4 per 9 IP. That makes his K rate irrelevant.

His BABIP is high because he throws hard, and misses his spots on a consistent basis which leads to HARD contact which will likely fall in for a hit. That is why he doesn't pitch to his peripherals(FIP, SIERA, tERA, etc)

vCash
    his fastball just isnt doing it for him. he needs to either learn to put more movement on it, get command to put it where he wants it, or start to develop a put away pitch. work on a sinker, splitter, cutter, two seamer, anything that'll give his stuff movement that'll keep his velocity up in the mid 90's.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast