Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sickels on Mets prospects

Jordany Valdespin
    Potential starter at the big-league level?
    by Metfan on Sep 20, 2011 10:01 AM EDT reply

valdespin
    I could see it at second base, providing some speed and pop although I wouldn’t expect a great OBP out of him and he would not be a star.

2012 draft
    Without thinking too much, who are the top 5 for next year?
    by Gunnarthor on Sep 20, 2011 10:22 AM EDT reply

Zunino, Appel, Marrero, Gausman, Giolito. Honorable mention: McCullers

Lucas Duda
    What’s the realistic expectation to have going forward? the .949 2nd half obviously seems unrealistic to sustain, but with each passing game he’s picking up a lot of believers.
    by ThnkGoodnessforHowieRose on Sep 20, 2011 10:26 AM EDT reply

duda
    I think his overall numbers are not a fluke, although the hot streak won’t be maintained. Overall he’s hitting…let’s see….292/.365/.480. I can see him doing that again…maybe a bit less batting average but overall I think he made real progress.

Sleeper prospect in mets system
    Off the top of your head can you think of a sleeper in the mets system? If so, why do you think he’s a sleeper?
    by swilliam on Sep 20, 2011 10:59 AM EDT via mobile reply

question
    It’s one question but off the top of my head I will say Darin Gorski, who is well-known to Mets fans but not so much to fans of other teams.
    One of the problems with questions like this is that it is nearly impossible to name a “sleeper” that the hard-core fans of the team in question are not aware of. So I try to pick out guys who fans from other teams or casual fans aren’t aware of and Gorski would qualify.

Reese Havens
    What do you see in store for him? Is he playing 2B for the Mets next year?
    by EinNH on Sep 20, 2011 1:02 PM EDT reply

IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY, yes

Fernando Martinez
    Will he ever live up to the hype, be a decent major leaguer, or just be a complete bust?
    by eatboudin on Sep 20, 2011 1:26 PM EDT reply

fmart
    somewhere between option two and option three
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...wered#comments

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Thanks. He seems pretty high on Duda and seems to like Valdespin. And Gorski is definitely a guy to watch next year. I pretty much agree with him on all his points.

vCash
    IMO Valdespin can be a guy that posts a .270-285/.320-.335/.440-.455 type numbers with 20-30 steals.

I also think Duda ca be a guy that puts an OPS around .850-875 on his good years.

He is right about sleeper prospects, to guys like us who follow the system close a guy like Montero becomes a sleeper.

...as for Martinez, I think in the end he will be a guy that gets some 300ish at bats a season and provides left handed pop as a spot starter bench bat, His health will never allow him to be an everyday player sadly.

vCash
    I still feel Valdespin can play SS when its all said and done.

Duda already has an OPS of .850, he's a guy that can hit 25+ HR easily next year with a solid average and good OB rates.

Basically as an everyday player after the AS break, Duda is hitting .322/.408/.546 which adds up to an OPS of .955

vCash
    ...and I don't think Duda can do that for a whole year because slumps will happen, pitchers will adjust and pitch him differently.

Over all an .850 OPS means he would have an OBP around .350-.370 and a SLG% of .480-.500.

vCash
    Yeah, I still think the Mets want Valdespin to be a SS in the future and I think he has the tools to do it. I just think he needs to get more reps and get more used to the position. I think we'll see him starting at SS in AAA to start next year.

vCash
    If Havens can stay healthy, he shouldn't be handed the starting job in Spring Training. Havens hasn't shown anything at the MLB level. Ultimately, there should be a battle for 2b between Murphy/Havens/Tejada.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    If Havens can stay healthy, he shouldn't be handed the starting job in Spring Training. Havens hasn't shown anything at the MLB level. Ultimately, there should be a battle for 2b between Murphy/Havens/Tejada.
    Hasn't shown anything at the major league level?

Hell, he hasn't shown anything at AAA!

For that matter, he hasn't even had 350 at bats in AA.

This is what I'm talking about. Some guys, it seems, can't do any wrong, others get labels and they stick.

I like Havens, it's too bad he's been hurt several times a year every year since he was drafted. But, I would count on him giving us NOTHING at all. He's 25 (by the start of next season), never healthy, and never played above AA. If his name had a z at the end of it, he would be slammed as a bust.

vCash
    You're right, Havens needs to prove himself. If I had to guess Turner and/or Tejada start the year at 2b with Havens waiting in the wings. It all depends on Reyes though. Tejada can be their starting SS if Reyes leaves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    Hasn't shown anything at the major league level?

Hell, he hasn't shown anything at AAA!

For that matter, he hasn't even had 350 at bats in AA.

This is what I'm talking about. Some guys, it seems, can't do any wrong, others get labels and they stick.

I like Havens, it's too bad he's been hurt several times a year every year since he was drafted. But, I would count on him giving us NOTHING at all. He's 25 (by the start of next season), never healthy, and never played above AA. If his name had a z at the end of it, he would be slammed as a bust.
    Havens is a 1st round talent with on base ability and power from 2nd base.

Players skip AAA all the time, so that means very little. Just because he has been injured, it does not mean he can't be an effective baseball player.

vCash
    Agreed. The key for him is staying healthy. The bat is there. He just needs to stay healthy.

vCash
    Isn't there talk of Valdespin having an attitude problem, or am I thinking of someone else?
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    He does, but it hasn't been that bad this year. Just lack of hustle at times.

vCash
    Yeah, I think his attitude has gotten better this year. I read, could be wrong though, part of the reason he was promoted to AAA was because his attitude improved and so it was somewhat a reward. Obviously, him playing well also pushed him to AAA, but I think his attitude did improve.