Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do any saber...

vCash
    Saber is extremely valuable to get glimpses/snapshots of player abilities. But this is proof that saber isn't everything. Further proof that baseball is 100% situational

Huge thanks to Elements!!

Thanks for nothing "jej" for stealing my Montero sig

vCash
    Dunn got abducted by aliens or something like that, that would be the most sensible explanation, really.

Crawford I haven't seen his numbers but he was overrated, that contract was sillier than Werth's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ace"ves View Post
    Saber is extremely valuable to get glimpses/snapshots of player abilities. But this is proof that saber isn't everything. Further proof that baseball is 100% situational
    Can you elucidate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    The red flags showed up last year, but a lot of people ignored them. A huge drop in his BB rate and increase in his K rate. But he still put up good numbers, so nobody really noticed or cared about it.

The walk rate bounced back a bit, but now he’s striking out like crazy. He can’t hit a fastball to save his life – normally he crushes them. You can see everybody is just challenging him with FB’s, and it looks like he can’t catch up with it. Normally he only gets around 50% FB, now he’s getting 62%. That’s pretty significant to me. Add in the fact he’s making a ton of IF pop ups, and there’s your 150-160 BA.

Don’t really need saber stats to analyze this one.
    I missed the jump in FB% and in IFFB%

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ace"ves View Post
    Did you ignore every post in this threads? There were things ("saber things" if you want to call them) that were pointing to this. They were just ignored by a stupid GM / writers.

If anything you have it backwards. Watching games themselves are great ways to get snapshots of player abilities, while sabrmetrics sums them up.

vCash
    Well said, chensisi123.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    There are no "experts" here. Copy/paste doesn't make anyone an expert

Dunn switching leagues and not being use to DHing might have a play in it. His problem lies between his ears but I am sure someone will come along and merely chalk it up to bad luck. His numbers against LH pitching is beyond abysmal.
    Ok I updated the post, hopefully that makes the experts line a little more clear.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    I had Crawford as a bust in Boston before the signing. I haven't wavered since and here are the base arguments.

Batting:

Crawford's career slash in Fenway before 2011 was: .275/.301/.406

Some said it was the pitching he faced, others that he wasn't used to the park, or piled up those stats when young and he wasn't that good. Fact is, TBR is turf and Red Sox has a very thick grass infield. CC as a speed player is going to lose quite a few hits per year.

Crawfords's power is the RCF - the toughest place in Fenway to hit a HR besides dead Center and one of the 5 hardest in all of baseball. To underscore that point had gone from May 26th 2006 thru end of season 2010 w/o a HR in Fenway - over 200 PA's. It turns out he went until June 5th 2011 - over 5 years and over 340 PA's in Fenway between HR's.

Jump forward: Crawford's slash in Fenway in 2011: .276/.310/.414 in 252 PA's.
    He is what he is. He should have played in the NL in 70's, he might be a HOF'er.

Fielding:

Crawfords best trait as a fielder is his range. His arm is meh. But in Fenway the smallest of the 90 OF's in baseball there is no place for him to range 1/2 the year. As he had before, the walls and angles seem to bother him, he'd be much better of in RF - except he'll need the cutoff guy in mid RF...

SB's:

Crawford's SBO's and CS% have been slowly declining since 2006. Combine that with the fact that Boston with a strong line-up and runs happy field (lots of 2B's and a high BA), Boston will not play for one run, but clusters of runs.

Other:

CC said in an interview in 2010 that he hated playing in Boston - too intense. Since then, his fielding has been meh seemingly because of his batting issues. He tries to hit for power to prove he deserves the contract (he said he does it when he hits lower in the order).

Summary: He was a terrible sign, he'll never come close to matching his salary. I said it before, and it's always going to be true.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-13-2011 at 09:18 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    There are no "experts" here. Copy/paste doesn't make anyone an expert

Dunn switching leagues and not being use to DHing might have a play in it. His problem lies between his ears but I am sure someone will come along and merely chalk it up to bad luck. His numbers against LH pitching is beyond abysmal.
    Tom Tango has posted on PSD before.

I think he's an expert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12