Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Oklahoma Sooners possibly next to leave the Big 12

University of Oklahoma President David Boren said his university is looking at all available options following the withdrawal of Texas A&M from the Big 12 Conference.

Boren met with reporters on Friday evening, following a ground breaking ceremony for Oklahoma's brand new Sooner Center, a $75 million dormitory which will house athletes as well as general students.

OU President David Boren said the Sooners are keeping quiet while they mull over their options.
    "Obviously as you track my plane flying here and there, you know I'm disappointed Texas A&M left," said Boren who had just visited College Station in an effort to convince the Aggies to remain in the Big 12 Conference.

"I was personally involved in trying to see if there was some way that would not happen. It is a disappointment that those schools have left and we face the challenge that we do today."

Oklahoma has remained loyal to the Big 12 Conference throughout the turmoil of Nebraska bolting to the Big Ten Conference and Colorado leaving for the Pac-12 last summer.

But the losses are mounting on OU's president and forcing him to rethink his position on whether the Sooners belong in the Big 12 Conference.

"I guess I'm just disappointed that the original Big 12 is not still the same Big 12," Boren said. "I was extremely disappointed when Nebraska departed, I was disappointed when Colorado departed."

But the question now becomes: Will Oklahoma be the next to leave?

Oklahoma was noticeably quiet following A&M's announcement that they were leaving the conference. Boren confirmed on Friday afternoon, the lack of statements were intentional.

"We have been relatively and unusually quiet in terms of public pronoucents, that's to keep open and study the best options for us and not lock ourselves into a course of action until we know what's best for the university," said Boren.

"We're at the sensitive point of discussions among schools that I think too much said in public, reduces the chance of success, of our goals, or that enhances it. I really can't say much more than that."

Earlier this week, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops admitted he would like to see the Big 12 Conference get back to being a 12-team league. On Friday, Boren said that is now his preference as well.

"If we could eventually get back to twelve, I would feel better about it," he admitted. "I think if we could eventually, that doesn't mean in one year, maybe it's going to take two or three years."

But that's assuming the Big 12 Conference ends up being the best available option for Oklahoma.

Could Boren be tired of the challenges facing his university in the Big 12? For the first time, it appears the door is open for others to swoop in and pick up the Sooners.

"We have interest from other conferences and other universities," said Boren. "It's really a tribute to the strength of our program at the University of Oklahoma that there is so much interest in us. We have to carefully evaluate the various comments that are being made to us and various possibilities being shown to us before we decide what's best for the university to do."

Whatever Boren's decision is, don't expect Oklahoma to remain in a weakened Big 12 Conference.
    http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1259778

Marcus Mariota

You always hear that the Big 12 will be fine as long as Texas (not leaving any time soon) and Oklahoma (maybe they are) are there...this would be a huge, huge blow.
    this my sig

If Oklahoma leaves then the Big 12 would only be 8 teams and likely be seen as lower than the SEC, Big 10, Pac10 and ACC. Whichever conference gets Oklahoma would be a beast especially if it's the SEC. If the SEC gets Oklahoma then the SEC champion should just get an automatic national championship bid.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    If Oklahoma leaves then the Big 12 would only be 8 teams and likely be seen as lower than the SEC, Big 10, Pac10 and ACC. Whichever conference gets Oklahoma would be a beast especially if it's the SEC. If the SEC gets Oklahoma then the SEC champion should just get an automatic national championship bid.
    IMO, Oklahoma either goes to the Pac-12 or the Big Ten. If they leave the Big 10/12. If they do, Pac-12 will probably take another school from the Big 12 school like Missouri or Oklahoma State. IMO, within 2 years the Big 12 will cease to exist.
    Matthew Stafford QB: Detroit Lions
    111.2 QB Rating | 79/118 66.9% | 977 Yards | 9 TDs-2 INTs

So let's say that Oklahoma stays and the Big 12 tries to add 3 teams to the conference. What 3 teams would make the most sense and be feasible? Boise State and Air Force would seemingly make sense considering that the Mountain West is only gonna have 7 teams next year as well. Then you have some decent programs like Nevada as well.

Marcus Mariota

Hello Pac 16.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Hello Pac 16.
    Yup, Oklahoma wants to be in the Pac-16. Plus, we can reconfigure the Longhorn Network into one of the regional networks under the Pac-16 conference banner. About the only thing that stands in the way of this occurring is Texas lawmakers suing other conferences because their team's conference(like a Baylor fan for example) is eliminated.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Would love to see OU in the SEC, but I don't think it'll happen. Like most of you I expect them to head to the Pac 16 or whatever they'll eventually call themselves once the Little 12 is completely gone.

Texas will be fine with or without a conference. They can just become an Independent like Notre Dame and still contend for National Championships.

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Yup, Oklahoma wants to be in the Pac-16. Plus, we can reconfigure the Longhorn Network into one of the regional networks under the Pac-16 conference banner. About the only thing that stands in the way of this occurring is Texas lawmakers suing other conferences because their team's conference(like a Baylor fan for example) is eliminated.
    Yeah, I'd love to see Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Ok. State go to the "Pac 16".

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

No OK=No Big 12

Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Ok. State go to the "Pac 16".
    It most likely would be Texas - Texas Tech - Oklahoma - Oklahoma State.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

A&M will be in the SEC, that's pretty much a given. The conference just isn't sure who the next team added will be, probably either Clemson or Florida St (hopefully).

Bring in Boise State, Air Force and Colorado State.

Back to 12 and everybody is happy.
    lr is cooler than you