Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The good, The bad, and The ugly

ok, so this is 100% completely stolen from the nhl forum, who in turn stole it from one of the nfl forums.... but... its a pretty good thread idea..

you just state, in terms of what the teams has accomplished or not in this off season and what it potentially means in this upcoming season...into a format of GOOD, BAD, UGLY. ...simples!

i will post mine for an idea, or you could go to the nhl forum, which in itself is a good read, but it would be cool to just hear what us guys think here about the rangers only as im most interested in that of course...

If people wana get even more indepth im all good for that but thats usually a thread better saved for when we start to see the guys in camp and see who emerges ect so this is like a fairly general little taster...anyway... im rambling so here we go...

vCash
    The good

Stating the obvious.. but...The addition of Brad Richards, its potential effect on what was a horrendous power play last year. The success in retaining all of our key FA's to decent length of term deals to see them well into their prime, deals which also made both sides happy. Addition or rupp to take the place of the late derek boogaard (rip) and bring some much needed experience (or not necessarily needed but definitely welcome) to what is a quickly improving solid young core. oh and sathers re-emergence as a GM that makes good descisions (so farthis offseason)

The bad

the extreemly young bottom 4 defense... mcdonaugh and sauer wer great last year for rookies, but its no guarantee they produce the same, and the bottom pair could potentially be del zotto, who had the slump of all slumps last year, and erixon, who has great potential but is still unproven in the nhl... could be a great suprise but potential to be in the ugly.... tbc.

the ugly

potentially..... gabby's injury issues continue.... richards concussion symptoms reappear.... but one that not all rangers fans agree with is still having avery around... not that i dislike him... but i think his time with us is done, he doesnt serve a purpose anymore and this could easily turn things sour between him and coach/players ect if he is with us but not playing decent minutes or even sitting night after night....
    Last edited by saintant182; 08-24-2011 at 07:07 PM.

vCash
    The Good

The addition of Brad Richards made this team alot deeper offensively. We have 6 players capable of hitting 50+ points (Gabby, Richards, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Wolski). We have a great combination of skill and grit. A Prust-Boyle-Rupp line will do some good work in the offensive zone, score some dirty goals, and set the tone in making sure this team doesn't get pushed around. Our core players are locked up for the next 3 years and we have a good amount of prospects waiting to break through. We also have Lundqvist, who's pretty good.

Bad

The defense's inexperience as a whole makes it certain that there will still be some growing pains and moments where the defensive play is less than spectacular. Richards is the latest big contract to be handed out by this team and while he has been a great player, his future production isn't a 100% guarantee whether its age, injuries, or just plain bad luck (if you're a mets fan - Jason Bay is a good example). A lot of our key offensive players are inconsistent and need to prove they can succeed consistently, otherwise we'll have many familiar nights where our offense is anemic once again.

The Ugly

Out of the top 4 in our defense, only Staal can move the puck, and in that category he is graded a "meh". Maybe MDZ and Erixon can be those guys, but if not we're not going to get much offense from our defense. That'll put extra pressure on our top 6, who's featuring an injury prone RW who just stopped scoring last year. Maybe Richards will be the spark gabby needs, but if he has another clunker of a season, then boy will his contract look awful.

That said, I'm still very optimistic about our upcoming season.
    BRAIN TRUST
    johnnylee722 | MetsFan19 | dwright3b5 | jetsfan89 | Twinke Masta | ritz | MrSexy | jetsfan28

Charlotte Convicts MLB Re-Draft Clubhouse

Creed: So hey, I want to set you up with my daughter.
    Jim: Oh, I'm engaged to Pam.
    Creed: I thought you were gay.
    Jim: Then why would you want to set me up with your daughter?
    Creed: I don't know.

vCash
    This is a championship caliber team. We'll probably make some sort of move at the deadline. Eastern conference finals or bust.

vCash
    A good chunk of our success hinges on Erixon and DelZotto having good years, as well as whoever is LW on the first line, if we can find someone that isn't Dubinsky for that first line we're gonna have two really good lines starting the season with very capable 3rd and 4th lines. A little size down back really wouldn't hurt our D.

vCash
    [1] Richards and the young-and-getting-younger defense corps, [2] still no defenseman with a good, heavy shot (please, please, Erixon, prove me wrong), [3] no stand-out LW to play on the 1st line, and Fedotenko and Avery still on the roster at that position.

vCash
    I think everyone already touched on all the obvious points. The only thing i think i would add is our wing situation is not bad but not good either. For arguements sake lets say we have our top 6 of Richards, Gabs, Dubi, Wolski, Cally and AA, after that our 3rd line wing situation is really not that good. I actually feel bad for Stepan for having to play with 2 guys that is probably going to be between Avery, Christ and Fedo. None of those guys scored 15 goals or had 30 points last year. That is just bad for a 3rd line, good for a 4th line but bad for a 3rd. Being we already have a good 4th line all of them are simply not needed.

Personally i really wish Sather would go out and make a trade for someone or go with someone younger like Thomas. If he goes with Thomas or another kid he will have to trade someone to do it.

I still would try and call up Montreal and pry away Kostitsyn from them. He adds a little toughness and can score and maybe give you 45+ in points. If we had a player similar to that it wouldnt be as bad having Fedo play the other wing. I know Montreal has been rumored to interested in Christ and i know they need a little more grit so maybe Avery could be added plus a prospect or later draft pick to get it done. I know Kost would welcome it and with his comments a few weeks back it and maybe Montreal would too.

vCash
    Good = signing the RFAs and Richards, acquiring Rupp and Erixon; retirement of Drury; healthy return of Biron.

Bad = lack of physical, scoring left winger for the top line; uncertainty at 3rd line RW; lack of a mean, crushing defenseman.

Ugly = loss of Derek Boogard and ongoing investigation involving his brother.

We'll be much improved this year; maybe top 8 in offense, top 5 in defense and special teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    I think everyone already touched on all the obvious points. The only thing i think i would add is our wing situation is not bad but not good either. For arguements sake lets say we have our top 6 of Richards, Gabs, Dubi, Wolski, Cally and AA, after that our 3rd line wing situation is really not that good. I actually feel bad for Stepan for having to play with 2 guys that is probably going to be between Avery, Christ and Fedo. None of those guys scored 15 goals or had 30 points last year. That is just bad for a 3rd line, good for a 4th line but bad for a 3rd. Being we already have a good 4th line all of them are simply not needed.

Personally i really wish Sather would go out and make a trade for someone or go with someone younger like Thomas. If he goes with Thomas or another kid he will have to trade someone to do it.

I still would try and call up Montreal and pry away Kostitsyn from them. He adds a little toughness and can score and maybe give you 45+ in points. If we had a player similar to that it wouldnt be as bad having Fedo play the other wing. I know Montreal has been rumored to interested in Christ and i know they need a little more grit so maybe Avery could be added plus a prospect or later draft pick to get it done. I know Kost would welcome it and with his comments a few weeks back it and maybe Montreal would too.
    Only problem is that the Kostitsyn's are known as the Cokestitsyn's in Montreal.....moving to New York probably wouldn't help that much. I really feel that Stepan has to move to wing, his faceoff % is terrible for a full time center anyway. If he could move up and play wing on the first line we might have a solution to our problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Only problem is that the Kostitsyn's are known as the Cokestitsyn's in Montreal.....moving to New York probably wouldn't help that much. I really feel that Stepan has to move to wing, his faceoff % is terrible for a full time center anyway. If he could move up and play wing on the first line we might have a solution to our problem.
    If Kostitsyn is on coke then i would think he would fail the leagues substance abuse test. Plus if he doesnt work out he is a free agent at the end of the year or could be used as trade bait at the deadline. As it is we have 3 guys for 2 positions this would also help that problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    If Kostitsyn is on coke then i would think he would fail the leagues substance abuse test. Plus if he doesnt work out he is a free agent at the end of the year or could be used as trade bait at the deadline. As it is we have 3 guys for 2 positions this would also help that problem.
    I do agree he'd be a good pickup if his head was on straight, if we could get him for Christensen and a throw in I'd do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Good = signing the RFAs and Richards, acquiring Rupp and Erixon; retirement of Drury; healthy return of Biron.

Bad = lack of physical, scoring left winger for the top line; uncertainty at 3rd line RW; lack of a mean, crushing defenseman.

Ugly = loss of Derek Boogard and ongoing investigation involving his brother.

We'll be much improved this year; maybe top 8 in offense, top 5 in defense and special teams.
    From seeing how they were developing last season, I expect both Sauer and McD to shake off any rookie uncertainty and increase their nastiness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
    From seeing how they were developing last season, I expect both Sauer and McD to shake off any rookie uncertainty and increase their nastiness.
    i think we have certainly seen that sauer especially can sometimes show i 'streak' in him when it comes to protecting his team mates and goalie in our own end... with more confidence he will likely step that part of his game up but i understand what redfish is gettting at and i think that is what lies in the future of mcilrath(or pashnin)... its a waiting game in that instance though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saintant182 View Post
    i think we have certainly seen that sauer especially can sometimes show i 'streak' in him when it comes to protecting his team mates and goalie in our own end... with more confidence he will likely step that part of his game up but i understand what redfish is gettting at and i think that is what lies in the future of mcilrath(or pashnin)... its a waiting game in that instance though.
    Might that future be this year? 3rd pairing, stay at home, defenseman with Erixon?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Might that future be this year? 3rd pairing, stay at home, defenseman with Erixon?
    possibly... i think it really is down to the d being staal-girardi, sauer-mcdonagh, eminger as 7th, and the last two spots literally being whoever has the best camp and run up in the preseason games out of a pool of about 5 promising young dman... i tend to take the veiw that mcilrath should do at least a year in the ahl, being so young and being a defender there is no need to rush him. but if del zotto dont perform how he needs to to stake a claim at a spot. id like a hard hitter, of which velentenko can be too. gona be tough competition for spots for sure
    Last edited by saintant182; 08-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast