Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Are we looking at mario williams' last year as a Texan?

They say he's getting better day by day, they say he's an athlete and he'll make the transition. he says he'll make the transition and he's rough right now because he's only been standing up 3 weeks in his entire football career. I hope he does make the transition, I still remember how mario looked his sophomore year with the texans when he played with that chip and if wade can somehow get him to play with that chip again, his technique will only get better if he works very very hard at making the transition....

but what if

what if he feels the texans wont be able to afford to keep him around next season?this is his contract year, why would he work so hard to learn a new position when he can leave for big money else where? he has mentioned olb's in 3-4's are the guys getting all the big numbers now and if he wants those numbers...perhaps he realizes if he does this right he'll be worth even more....

enter brooks reed. connor barwin is playing the more athletic olb position and brooks reed could take over the mario williams elephant position. all three of them are beastly, but if brooks continues to get better all season day by day we'll have quite a player on our hands. (kubes did say he's been the one guy learning the fastest, progressng the most day by day).

I'm very intrigued by mario at olb. he's a massive figure who'll be hard to pass over...he should get more than a few batted passes, and if he can learn to leverage standing up, get that 6'6 290 from bent right with a running start noone is going to stop him from bullrushing.
    "It's a Namaste. It means respect. It just means, 'I see the God in you.' It's me paying my respect to the game of football."
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    I don't think leverage will be a problem for him. I'd be more worried about him picking up blocks coming from different angles and dropping into coverage.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    How is the Mario Williams experiment working? Still not really sure why he was moved to olb though? Wasn't he one of the better DE's in the game? Why didn't they just leave him at end? I'm just an outsider looking in, but scratching my head.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    He's a better fit at OLB in a 3-4 scheme, theoretically.

vCash
    ^^ I agree, They need a good OLB but I don't think that is a good thing make one of the best DEs of the league a OLB that he has never played since now, I don't understand much of this defense and which players fit in this scheme and stuff, but I just don't think it's the best idea, it seems we are sacrificing the best player in our defense
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    How is the Mario Williams experiment working? Still not really sure why he was moved to olb though? Wasn't he one of the better DE's in the game? Why didn't they just leave him at end? I'm just an outsider looking in, but scratching my head.
    we changed to a 3-4 and wade wants to use his athletic ability to rush from the edge instead of up against a guard. it wouldn't utilize mario's speed
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    As for Barwin and Reed making Mario expendable. I hardly think that is a valid argument. Brooks Reed has yet to take a snap in a real NFL game and Connor Barwin is playing a position he has never played in his life. Both of them could fail more than Mario quite easily. The only one who has proven to be able to do anything in the league is Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I don't think leverage will be a problem for him. I'd be more worried about him picking up blocks coming from different angles and dropping into coverage.
    As has been said thousands of times, only 5% of plays in Wade's playbook have Mario dropping into coverage
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    Theres a few problems with Mario. 1. Is that fact he does not play with intensity. He wraps up or get a fingertip tackle. He doesnt hit with force he is just a big ol' teddy bear out there. He reminds me of the DE they give estrogen to in the longest yard remake. 2. He has always tried to be a finesse Dline men instead of using his strength to bull rush and swim past. I have seen him in games basically just do a little dance in front of the OT. Looks like an idiot some times. His best season he was in your face bull rushing knock your lights out DE. The next season he lost that. Don't get me wrong I love mario but he is over hyped by us all. No defense that I know of targets him every time in there game plan. He is not a game changing threat every game. Watt,Reed,quinn,Cushing and Joseph can be and will learn to be under Wade. Mario can get better but he is not what we all (including myself) want him to be at this stage in his career.

vCash
    Well being a GB Packer fan I just don't think you are utilizing his talents playing in a 3-4 defense. We tried to do the same thing with Aaron Kampmann, who is a 285 lb. de. He just didn't work out at all in the 3-4 scheme. But he was an incredible player in a 4-3. Now our defnesive coordinator (Dom Capers) wanted to go to a 3-4 in the worst way, even if it meant basically pushing out one of our best defensive players. And it has more than paid off, I love the 3-4, but Kampmann was a fan favorite. I sort of see the same thing going on with you guys. Sorry, I just don't see a 290 lb. man playing the olb spot being fast and quick enough. Its a different type of speed, he is going to have to be able to shift and he can't rush every play. I think your best bet would have been to trade him and have gotten some draft picks for him to a 4-3 team. I'm going to bet that he is going to hate it and will be as good as gone after the season or as soon as his contract is up. A guy like him wants his hand on the ground and go get'em every play and get paid like a stud DE. BTW, I was enamoured with Brooks Reed coming out and he was the guy I had targeted for my Packers. I think you have a good player in him, how is he looking? Being a WI Bucky fan I also think you got yourself a great find in JJ Watt and he reminds me totally of Aaron Kampmann but bigger and bulkier. How is he looking?
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    both watt and reed have looked good. reed claims he doesn't totally get the position and still has a ton of work so i'm really excited for when he gets the position (saturday night had 2 sacks 2 forced fumbles and 2 qb pressures). watt has one or two batted passed this preseason and almot got a sack against the jets but he ended up pushing sanchez into someone elses arms for the sack.
    "It's a Namaste. It means respect. It just means, 'I see the God in you.' It's me paying my respect to the game of football."
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    reed has batted pass as well
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_T View Post
    both watt and reed have looked good. reed claims he doesn't totally get the position and still has a ton of work so i'm really excited for when he gets the position (saturday night had 2 sacks 2 forced fumbles and 2 qb pressures). watt has one or two batted passed this preseason and almot got a sack against the jets but he ended up pushing sanchez into someone elses arms for the sack.
    Thanks for the update. BTW, personally thought you guys had one of the better drafts, even though some of the guru's graded you high and low.

Getting back to Mario, I'm not saying he can't play the outside, but I just don't see him being utilized to his fullest potential. Your linebacking core in general to me looks awesome. How are you at your nose? I think thats always the key to a 3-4.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    Thanks for the update. BTW, personally thought you guys had one of the better drafts, even though some of the guru's graded you high and low.

Getting back to Mario, I'm not saying he can't play the outside, but I just don't see him being utilized to his fullest potential. Your linebacking core in general to me looks awesome. How are you at your nose? I think thats always the key to a 3-4.
    it's not a traditional 3-4 like you guys run, and i've not really figured out what the key to wades defense is yet but we have a 6'4 290 guy and a 6'2 285 guy, and apparently we'll be running a lot of stunts.

we have yet to see it work in first team defense.
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    With Brooks Reed doing well in the preseason games and Barwin on the other side, and Mario stuggling in space, it may not be a bad idea to put him at DE. With Watt and Mario at DE, we would have the most athletic 3-4 ends in the league. And with Barwin and Reed coming off the edge, it could be an imposing defense.

vCash
    everything ive seen and read makes it seem like he'll be able to make the transition. did he struggle VS the jets? yes, but he wasnt horrid and he looked better VS the saints. i think with more reps he'll get better and better
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.