Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Angels have signed ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85MM contract extension, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter). The deal includes a full no-trade clause, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter).

Weaver, a Boras Corporation client, as our Agency Database shows, was slated to hit free agency after 2012, so this extension buys out his final year of arbitration eligibility and four years of free agency at an average annual salary of $17.5MM. He earns $7.37MM in 2011 after losing an arbitration hearing with the Halos prior to this season. Tim Dierkes explained in May that Weaver could have earned as much as $15MM in 2012 after another round of arbitration.

Weaver's deal is similar in terms to the ones Felix Hernandez signed with the Mariners (five years, $78MM) and Justin Verlander (five years, $80MM) inked with the Tigers prior to the 2010 season, as noted by Heyman (Twitter). The difference, though, is that both Hernandez and Verlander had two remaining years of arbitration eligibility when they signed, whereas Weaver is nearer to free agency with only one remaining. The contract is the largest for a pitcher in Angels history, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times (via Twitter).

As Jeff Passan of Yahoo! notes, the projected class of free-agent starters in 2013 is deep, headlined by Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Matt Cain, Shaun Marcum, John Danks, Anibal Sanchez and Francisco Liriano (Twitter link). So, perhaps Weaver and his representatives were motivated to get a jump on that market, as Boras Corporation clients typically go to free agency. Buster Olney of ESPN.com thinks Weaver could have fetched a nine-figure contract on the open market after 2012 (Twitter link).

The 28-year-old right-hander, the No. 12 overall pick in the 2004 draft, is in the midst of a career year, posting a 2.10 ERA (178 ERA+), 7.6 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9. He is among the favorites to win the American League Cy Young Award, along with Verlander and CC Sabathia of the Yankees.

The deal will be announced by the club on Tuesday.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Great call!

NOW LETS STart
    "wilson to YANKS!" rumors

vCash
    How bout we get wilson? We need a lefty
    Haters Gon' Hate

vCash
    How about we get some offense and bullpen help

vCash
    Best Angels news of the year by far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatfan04 View Post
    How bout we get wilson? We need a lefty
    I wish for that, that would be great .......... come on Reagins can you pull it off or you still lacking? I know he doesn't read our stuff but felt good to say it.

vCash
    I am all about getting some offense. Not too sure if Morales is going to come back the same player he once was or even come close. I am all about getting some bats in this lineup, we need more to go along with Trumbo (and potentially Trout). I saw we trade Takahashi and Downs dont resign Rodney and get some new arms. We trade, dont resign Mathis or Callaspo and as much as I hate to say this we try to trade Hunter (if he has more years remaining) and Wells..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatfan04 View Post
    I stilll hate Boras right now im iffy on Reagins
    I dislike them both equally

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beasy1975 View Post
    I am all about getting some offense. Not too sure if Morales is going to come back the same player he once was or even come close. I am all about getting some bats in this lineup, we need more to go along with Trumbo (and potentially Trout). I saw we trade Takahashi and Downs dont resign Rodney and get some new arms. We trade, dont resign Mathis or Callaspo and as much as I hate to say this we try to trade Hunter (if he has more years remaining) and Wells..
    I would like to see Downs stay he has done pretty well for us. Mathis has to go and Rodney has to go for sure.

vCash
    Great move by LAA... congrats on locking Jered Weaver up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beasy1975 View Post

umm why should we trade downs??? he is the best rp we have

vCash
    I was shock to hear that Weaver signed an extension especially for 85MM. This is a steal for the Angels of course. I thought Weaver was gone for sure by 2012 and would have signed with the Yankees, Boston, or Giants. The other thing you got to look at is Scott Boras. Now moving forward into agency I think the Angels have a chance with Prince Fielder.

The Future is NOW!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel strike View Post
    umm why should we trade downs??? he is the best rp we have
    I agree I would like to see him stay and think he will.

vCash
    Saw this news when it broke on ESPN during the Cards @ Cubs game. I literally threw my hands into the air when they announced it. Thank God.

Maybe, just maybe, this is a sign of things to come and the Angels are getting ready to start spending money in smarter ways.

Also, after reading that article vladdy posted... I wonder what are chances would be at nabbing Grienke? Weaver - Haren - Grienke - Ervin - literally any random fan from the stands as #5 would be the best rotation in baseball.

I think I just got aroused thinking about it.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    The unexpected news of Jered Weaver's five-year extension with the Angels elicited a wide range of responses Sunday night. Here are some of the early takes from reporters and pundits:

The extension is a win for the Angels, tweets Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, as Weaver would have been in line for a big pay day after 2012.

Likewise, Bob Nightengale of USA Today thinks the extension is a "great deal" for the Angels (via Twitter).

It's not a steal for the Angels, according to Keith Law of ESPN.com (via Twitter), but he likes the deal for the team.

Weaver "took control" in his decision to remain in Anaheim long-term, tweets Lyle Spencer of MLB.com.

Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLBTR reminds us that while the contract appears favorable for the Halos, Weaver was still 14 months away from free agency (via Twitter).

Weaver could have commanded a nine-figure deal as a free agent, opines Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Olney commends Weaver for spurning the usual tack of Scott Boras clients, which is to go to free agency (via Twitter).

The no-trade clause in Weaver's deal is a "good get" by Scott Boras, tweets Troy Renck of the Denver Post, who notes that teams typically try to avoid them.

Weaver's deal sets a ceiling for free-agent-to-be C.J. Wilson, according to Evan P. Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via Twitter).

Weaver's extension sets a floor for Cole Hamels' contract talks, tweets Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Hamels is a free agent after 2012.

Ubaldo Jimenez was seeking a similar deal with the Rockies before being traded to the Indians, according to Renck (Twitter link).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast