Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Schadenfreude via Lions Injury Bug

Schadenfreude is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

Those of us sick of hearing that everyone better watch out... the Lions are going to be winners this year and even win the NFC have enjoyed the beginning of training camp and look forward to the rest of it and the full football season.

The injury bug has bitten the Lions and it's already taken a big bite out of the fantasy that they were playoff bound. While we'd feel sorry for most of the actual players for being injured. Feeling sorry for the Lions organization and their fans... not so much.

Last year Javid Best... proved exactly what I thought he would be. Too small and frail to handle a full season as the lions back. His injury is lurking in the shadows. Kevin Smith's constant injuries were why they went and drafted Javid Best. And Javid Best's injuries are why they went and drafted Mikel Leshoure. Well Mikel lasted a week as a Lion before tearing his Achilles tendon. 2nd Round Draft pick... out for the year.

Nick Fairly broke his foot. 1st Round Draft pick... going to be wearing a cast and will miss all of the training camps and preseason games.

The Lions secondary is a joke. They didn't do anything in the offseason and not much if anything in the draft to fix it. And it seems to be falling apart. Look at all the issues they've had already.

Safety Louis Delmas is the latest Detroit Lions player to have surgery. He had a minor procedure done to remove a screw in his right ring finger.

In other positions... it's like a trauma ward.

Andre Fluellen. He broke his hand on Thursday after getting it caught in a facemask. He was wearing a cast on Friday and is expecting to play with a club on his hand going forward.

2nd round pick Wide receiver Titus Young and offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus once again missed practice. Young has been dealing with leg stiffness since last week and Cherilus is dealing with a sore knee. He had microfracture surgery on the knee near the end of last season. A smallish receiver rookie receiver is already having leg problems. Not good. So that's the Lions 3 top picks with the injury bug. And the dreaded microfracture surgery... that's never good.

The list of injured Detroit Lions players seems to grow every day. That has been the case all week long, and it was once again the case on Saturday with offensive tackle Jason Fox suffering a foot injury.

Fox had been taking reps at left tackle with the No. 1 offense with Jeff Backus out. Now the No. 1 reps will likely go to Tony Ugoh, as Fox was seen wearing a walking boot and using crutches after practice. It doesn't sound like he will be back in the immediate future.

In other injury news, the Lions were once again without Maurice Morris, Titus Young, Gosder Cherilus, Andre Fluellen, Nick Fairley, Alphonso Smith and Louis Delmas on Saturday. All are dealing with injuries, although Young did say he expects to return next week.

Cornerbacks Eric Wright and Maurice Leggett had to leave Saturday's practice, but they were just dealing with dehydration issues.

Defensive tackle Corey Williams to leave practice early. He rolled his ankle, but it doesn't seem as though there is much concern over the injury.

Joining him on the list of injured players are cornerbacks Chris Houston and Eric Wright. Both players are dealing with groin injuries, and Houston missed all of Monday's practice. Wright left during the practice after being unable to continue playing with the injury.

QB Drew Stanton returned after missing a day to prevent an infection since he had to have stitches in his right elbow. ... WR Demario Ballard was wearing a walking boot after injuring his foot on Monday. ... OT Jason Fox is now wearing a walking boot instead of a cast. ... Both OT Jeff Backus and CB Alphonso Smith could apparently return soon.

And now you can top off that injury sandwich with their #1 offensive threat having issues. Wide receiver Calvin Johnson. He is dealing with a bruised shoulder and has now missed two straight days of practice.

vCash
    Hahahahahahahaha

It's ****ing karma for all the **** they talked after drafting another 3 tech for no reason.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    ?
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Gah!

Forgot about everyone's favorite sports blog drinking game.

Everytime you read... "If Stafford can remain healthy..." you drink. How long before he makes the injury report or if not... do pass out midway though the season???

vCash
    I guess that means they will win the Super Bowl.

I thought this was about Caleb Schladeraff when I clicked on it.
    Last edited by CMIII; 08-16-2011 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    They were saying that Caleb held his own during the Browns game. There now it's a Schladeraff thread as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vbjunkie View Post
    Gah!

Forgot about everyone's favorite sports blog drinking game.

Everytime you read... "If Stafford can remain healthy..." you drink. How long before he makes the injury report or if not... do pass out midway though the season???
    that results in a balckout every time
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    The Detroit Lions placed running back Jahvid Best on the physically unable to perform list Friday, ending his season, according to the team's website.

Best had not been cleared to play by doctors this season because of past concussion issues. The team decided to shut him down after he recently took a battery of post-concussion tests.

The Lions hoped Best could play this season after he sat out a significant portion of last year with multiple concussions. Considering he still cannot play, his career may be at risk.

"There has been subsequent evaluation and consultation regarding Jahvid since our last update (Oct. 15)," Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said on DetroitLions.com. "As has been the case throughout, we have deferred to the medical experts and support their current recommendation that Jahvid not return to the field this season. Jahvid's approach to this situation and his adherence to the process and protocol have been exemplary.

"No one has worked harder or shown more dedication than Jahvid has over the past year. As disappointing as this decision is for us and Jahvid we do believe it is in his long-term best interest."

Best played in six games last year and rushed for 390 yards with two touchdowns. He also caught 27 passes for 287 yards with a TD.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...on-738667.html

Mr. Durable yet again this year...

Javid Bust!!!

Graham Harrell #6 QB
    2 Comp. 3 ATT 20 Yards 0 TDs 4 Rush -3 Yards 0 TD 1 Fumble 0 INT

Jumped on the Bandwagon in 1969

vCash
    What happened to Best is actually sad. I take no enjoyment out of it. Harsh man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    What happened to Best is actually sad. I take no enjoyment out of it. Harsh man.
    He's a Detroit Lion.

All my compassion... well actually I don't have any compassion for any Detroit Lion. Well, I guess, if Barry Sanders drove off a cliff in a convertible... landing on sharp jagged rocks and ended up splayed out like Prometheus where the seagulls would peck at his entrails for a few days before dying. I'd feel pretty bad...

about a perfectly nice convertible being wrecked.

Graham Harrell #6 QB

vCash
    Some people fail to realize that this is a game. Injuries aren't something you play with... Those who have actually played at a competitive level would understand that... Players like Jahvid are dying to play the game, its everything a football player lives for and to be sidelined due to injuries isn't funny or something to poke fun at.

vCash
    He's listed @ 199 lbs on his bio.

But I bet he's 185 dripping wet out of the shower... he was never going to last as a RB and he showed in college that he was way to reckless for his size even back then.

Here watch this again... he got a concussion on that as well.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE2

I'm not really trying to rag on him personally... but I do enjoy that the Lions have had an injury bug at RB for a few years now and it's bogging them down. All those wasted draft picks and injuries balance out our own (or better). He was a 1st round pick (#30).... although the RB picked after him haven't done that much either (Dexter McCluster and Toby Gerhart).

Jim Schwartz is just to smarmy of a person for me to have any respect or sympathy for anyone that plays under him.
    Last edited by vbjunkie; 11-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Graham Harrell #6 QB