Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Symptoms still affecting Sidney Crosby

I know there's some discussion about this already but I think it deserves it's own thread. Pretty big news.

Sidney Crosby has been continuing his normal offseason workout routine, but the Pittsburgh Penguins captain has had some post-concussion symptoms this summer, Penguins general manager Ray Shero said Monday.

"I think he has had some symptoms on and off depending on how hard he's pushed himself, and he has pushed himself pretty hard this summer, which is the good news," Shero told reporters Monday. "I think he has progressed really well this summer. He's happy with his progress.

"Training camp is a month away, so there's no expectation for me that he won't be ready or will be ready," Shero said. "He's doing his usual routine. He'll probably be in a week before camp starts, and we'll evaluate him then to see how he's doing."

Shero said he did not know the nature of Crosby's symptoms.

The GM's comments came amid a report from an "NHL Home Ice" radio producer, who posted on his Twitter feed Sunday that Crosby would not be ready to start the season. Before Monday's media session, Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Crosby's workouts were not "shut down."

Shero said Monday that Crosby continues to work out with longtime trainer Andy O'Brien in his hometown of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

"The good news is that he continues to work out and has worked out hard this summer," Shero said. "When he went back, he had a progression planned with his trainer ... that he's gone through. So we'll see where we are come training camp.

"The thing for me and for the organization is the bigger picture with Sidney Crosby, making sure that he is 100 percent cleared and ready to play when he does come back," Shero added. "He's not going to be pushed to come back to practice or play. I want to make sure a year from now, three years from now, five years from now that he's still the best player in the league and take the appropriate steps and back him, and go from there."

Crosby, 24, has not played since Jan. 5 following back-to-back blows to the head. The first was suffered when then-Washington Capitals forward David Steckel clipped the former NHL scoring champion during the Winter Classic at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on New Year's Day. Then, during the Penguins' next game, Crosby was slammed into the end boards by Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/68...mptoms-gm-says
    Much as I hate to say it, if he's still feeling some things, it might be best to sit him another year. The slightest hit to the head and he's done.

vCash
    Is Sid done?

vCash
    He is not done. If he really thought he would never play again, he wouldn't bother going through offseason workouts. People writing these reports are the same people who have never had a concussion and don't realize how long they can affect you. Is it worrying he still has these symptoms, potentially. Is it surprising? Not at all

vCash
    I think a lot of players (any sport) who've come back from concussions still had symtoms but just never made it public. I hope we are smart with him.

vCash
    I agree to disagree here. Crosby is no different from any other player that takes the ice. Ovechkin took a hit and had a concussion that put him out for 2 months. Malkin, same scenario, out for a month and a half. Sure every team needs to protect their investments, but baby pampering them like this Crosby deal, is going way beyond what I can handle.

I am not sure if this is all over that hit that took Crosby out or if this is protecting investment. But I will say, if the NHL and Penguins don't pull the teeth on this situation, it's only going to get worse. I hate to say it, but there has been many dirty hits that should have been fined and suspended for a lengthy time. Ovechkin, Crosby, and other hits were so nasty, how can you overlook these hits. Everyone now will be looking to "head hunt" top stars and look forward to get away with it. I believe a stronger punishment should be in place for such hits. Anyways, hopefully this Crosby injury ends soon. Pens need him to take them to the Ship.

vCash
    There is a big difference between pampering and protecting. Pampering would be keeping Crosby out even after his symptoms have cleared. Protecting is exactly what the Pens have done with Crosby so far. As long as he is having these concussion symptoms, he should not be on the ice facing a potential setback.

Comparing Crosbys concussion to Ovechkin and Malkin's really doesn't do anything, every injury is different and there are 3 grades of concussions, meaning there could be a vast difference is severity.

That being said, I completely agree with harsher suspensions. Watching Steckel hit Crosby from behind and seeing Matt Cooke throwing elbows should have been enough for the league to make a strong statement but unfortunately their punishment system is a joke and needs to have a complete overhaul

vCash
    What makes Crosby's concussion so concerning is that he was believed to be concussed by the Steckel hit and for whatever reason he played through it, and perhaps got concussed again. Here's an interesting article on concussions and the NHL. Few months old.

Source: http://www.nationalpost.com/m/blog.h...&s=Opinion

Can't past a snip from my phone it's a good read.

vCash
    Stop and think about this for a moment: The head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins couldn't tell anyone yesterday if his captain, the NHL's preeminent player, was skating or not.

"I really don't know," Bylsma said.

That's astonishing.

Bylsma also couldn't narrow down Crosby's whereabouts, other than to say, "I don't think he's home right now," referring to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Read more: Kovacevic: Crosby's silence indefensible - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1VxNugec3
    Absolutely incredible the lack of information there is about Crosby. It doesn't even appear the Penguins know what is going on.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I would have to think they know more than they are saying. I find it hard to believe that the coach wouldn't know if his star player, the face of the franchise, is skating or not

vCash
    Press conference tomorrow from Sidney Crosby. Doubt he will say anything ground breaking but its still newsworthy.

vCash
    didnt say much today

vCash
    http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11250/1172780-100.stm

Not much there. Crosby will "likely" play this season but there is no time table. Basically what we already knew.

vCash
    Crosby is going to participate in training camp, excluding contact:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11259/1175178-100.stm

I know it is still limited but promising regardless. Hopefully he can fully exert himself and not have any symptoms

vCash
    Crosby participated in a "controlled" scrimage today, meaning he is stiill not cleared for contact:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11268/1177555-100.stm

He sounds pretty happy about it so that's a pretty good sign. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cleared in about 2 weeks. No real factual information backing that just a guess

vCash
    ya he is on his way. I think we will see him back in the line up by the 2 month of the season at least maybe earlier. Ps Malkin has looked amazing so we dont need to rush sid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast