Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaschler View Post
    Too bad we can't combine Bethancourt and Gattis into Bethangattis.

That would an awesome idea. I"m sure there a former soviet union scientist out there that can make it happen.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    El Oso Blanco is such an awesome Nickname for Gattis.

vCash
    mlbbowman
    Braves RHP Billy Bullock has been suspended 50 games following 2nd violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program

vCash
    ajcbraves
    #Braves LF/C prospect Evan Gattis hit 15th HR and had 4 RBI tonight, giving him Venezuelan winter league highs in both (15 HRs, 41 RBI)
    At this point, I want to see what he can do at the MLB level...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    ajcbraves

At this point, I want to see what he can do at the MLB level...
    Dude can hi. For all this Johnson/Francisco platon talk, it may be Gattis over Johnson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Dude can hi. For all this Johnson/Francisco platon talk, it may be Gattis over Johnson.
    It very well might be. Gattis is an exciting prospect. But reading too much into VWL stats is a mistake; I noted in the Offseason Thread that the elite hitters in the VWL don't usually amount to much in the MLB. But that isn't Gattis' fault. He just keeps hitting wherever the Braves put him, and if he continues to do so in spring training and the early MLB season (I really hope he gets the backup catching job while McCann is out), then he could put himself in a position where they simply can't bench him or send him down.

vCash
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-savZvBfMKIl6Q

all this talk about Gattis i looked him up and saw this story written last year, good read...hamilton 2.0

vCash
    Gattis hit yet another homer tonight his 16th

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 2.3 vs Harper 1.3
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 9.9 vs Harper 9.4
    162 game average - Simmons 4.6 vs Harper 4.3

updated 11/25/14

vCash
    League record is 20 by Bo Diaz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    League record is 20 by Bo Diaz.
    And for all Bo Diaz's feats of heroics in the VWL, he had a .687 OPS across a 13-year big-league career, with a sub-.300 OBP. So that just shows you how much stock should be placed in Gattis' stats. Again, it's not Gattis' fault that the competition isn't good; power to him (pun completely intended) that he went down there and mashed instead of going down there and being mediocre. But his impressive showing doesn't do enough to qualify him for an automatic big-league job, in my opinion.

vCash
    The numbers are very encouraging for Gattis in the VWL so no surprise it has folks, including myself, excited.

I suppose the one thing to look into is the K/BB ratio. Yes, El Oso Blanco has smashed every level he's been but he's also made contact in every level.

The more times you put bat on ball...the better your chances are for what you can do (smash in Gattis's case) to translate to the bigs.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    And for all Bo Diaz's feats of heroics in the VWL, he had a .687 OPS across a 13-year big-league career, with a sub-.300 OBP. So that just shows you how much stock should be placed in Gattis' stats. Again, it's not Gattis' fault that the competition isn't good; power to him (pun completely intended) that he went down there and mashed instead of going down there and being mediocre. But his impressive showing doesn't do enough to qualify him for an automatic big-league job, in my opinion.
    well to be fair, Bo Diaz was always a crappy hitter at the minor and major league levels. http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=diaz--001bau

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    well to be fair, Bo Diaz was always a crappy hitter at the minor and major league levels. http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=diaz--001bau
    Right, so the fact that he holds the VWL record for homers should tell you something about how good the competition is in the VWL. And by extension, how much stock should be placed in the fact that Gattis is hitting so well in Venezuela.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Right, so the fact that he holds the VWL record for homers should tell you something about how good the competition is in the VWL. And by extension, how much stock should be placed in the fact that Gattis is hitting so well in Venezuela.

I think what he is trying to say is Gattis hasn't been a crappy hitter in the minors, he has raked at every level since being drafted.

Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast